Handed notice it told to leave **SETTLED WITH EMPLOYER**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3015 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is for a friend of mine

He was working for a company (5 years tuped over )

He handed his notice in and gave them 3 months so they had time to find someone else and a few days later he got a call from the area manager

The area manager said he had to pick some parts up from him and when they met he said to hand over his keys company car and id as they were letting him go there and then

When he got paid he only got that months money along with his p45

Question is

Is he entitled to pilon for the other 2 months he never worked as they got rid of him

And is he entitled to compensation for loss of company car for the last 2 months ?

The basic position is that an employee can give as much notice as they like. If that's reduced by the employer, that becomes a dismissal (and probably an unfair one).

In short, there could be a theoretical claim for the remainder - and if the company car was a contractual benefit then that should be included.

Honeybee

He has never signed a contract but the new company he fot tuped over to there handbook says a months notice

So far the company has managed to get rid of the 4 that got tuped over

I am thinking if taking them to court and so is my mate.

Could we do a joint claim or would they have to be separate

Thanks

The basic position is that an employee can give as much notice as they like. If that's reduced by the employer, that becomes a dismissal (and probably an unfair one).

Is there a piece of legislation that backs your statement up?

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

There's no statutory (ie legislative) provision for that and it's governed by common law (ie case law) principles.

It's settled law that an employer's counter notice will be treated as a dismissal in these circumstances and will serve to bring the termination date forward (this case deals with that fact - http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKEAT/2012/0455_11_0902.html)

But again, at common law, the employees compensation for unfair dismissal will be limited to the date on which their original notice would expire.

Hope that helps.

• Haha 1

Eric's brother

They rang him whilst he was on his way to a call saying they needed a part then when they met up they took everything off him and told him that was it and he was no longer employed yet when the rep handed his notice they put him on gardening leave which they should of done with my friend

they have now managed to get rid of the 4 engineers who got tuped over in very dodgy ways

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like a positive outcome - thread title amended

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!