How can we Sort the Housing Shortage out.Many are without affordable homes.Flatpacks?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2558 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just looking for a home that was built in two days.A house not part of a skyscraper.And 90% more energy friendly and green.Affordable and if so slap them clean on the Brownfield sites now.

There is urgent need,that is clear.

I will find it.And add it later.90K and can be rented out or sold within weeks.

Also will find out about Brownfield sites.

Building more homes on brownfield land

Consultation proposals

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/398745/Brownfield_Consultation_Paper.pdf

And how many empty homes there are,not in use.

And who will benefit from those jails George Osborne has his eyes on for selling for housing

Speech with video,about 2 minutes that is all for those that may be slightly allergic to George Osborne.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/video/george-osborne-nine-new-prisons-to-replace-victorian-jails/vi-CC8zE3

So perhaps some in the steel industry would be interested in this.

I know,those damn Chinese,but fine entrepreneurs as well.Despite having many of our ideas away.And copying them.

We should now return the favour perhaps with our steel.They use a lot,like meccano sets.

Connect the steel plant to the production area,give no chance for cheap chinese steel to appear.

Perfectly legal to do.A small loophole in European Law that is all.

And it is time to look after our workers.

Chairman Zhang's flatpack skyscrapers

A Chinese entrepreneur who took just 19 days to build a 57-storey tower says he has triggered a construction revolution. And his dreams soar far, far higher.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-3cca82c0-af80-4c3a-8a79-84fda5015115

And the video.

China builds complete 57 story skyscraper in record 19 days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93HVG3j1phs

Even better.

In April a company in China claimed to have built 10 detached, single-storey houses within 24 hours, using waste material which was pumped out into layers - and the properties were said to have been created for less than $5,000 (£2,974) each.

Four huge printers measuring 105ft (32 metres) long, 33ft (10 metres) wide and 22ft (6.6 metres) tall were used to make the bungalows, China’s Xinhua news agency reported at the time.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2753200/Company-launches-two-bedroom-home-DOWNLOAD-internet-build-yourself.html#ixzz3rZ4YJiwB

The answers are here friends,nip off to the council and enlighten them.

For those that would consider this idea.

Would be in the house and set up for Christmas.I can see you sat by the fire.Christmas tree in the corner,turkey on the table.

Will find much more info in the next week.This is just for starters.

A lighter look at the problem we know is here.

I have run out of time today.

Please post how you feel about things.

Any info,any additional thoughts and links.From you knowledgeable ones out there.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no end of properties in decay that could be sold off cheap to people prepared to put in the effort to restore them. This was how I purchased my very first property. Local Council had compulsory purchased loads of properties in order to widen a road - then ran out of money and shelved the plan. Those properties are now restored and well looked after.

It was my understanding that when properties were sold via the Right to Buy, that money had to be pumped back into building new social housing - what happened to that plan ?

Where I live now, building companies are given planning permission on the understanding that they build at least 10% of their properties for social housing. I now understand that they would rather pay fines to the LA and just build private housing as there is no profit in social housing.

I do not understand why green spaces are being sold off for building when there are so many brownfield sites ?

Having seen the amount of agricultural waste, I guess even some farm land could be used for building. Using the same logic, if we don't need as much food, then we don't need so many huge supermarkets - let them be converted into homes.

I am seeing lots of properties that were built in the 1960/1970's that are falling apart, whereas buildings put up in the 1860/1870s are lovingly restored and well maintained ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

That Wikihouse looks amazing, I wonder how many have been sold so far ?

Interesting set of FAQs re the Wikihouse in the link below.

http://www.wikihouse.cc/about/

You do need planning permission

As yet, obtaining a mortgage for one hasn't been tested.

You would need to buy / have a plot of land first. So that could take the cost of the project out of some people's reach.

Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It was my understanding that when properties were sold via the Right to Buy, that money had to be pumped back into building new social housing - what happened to that plan ?

The right to buy scheme as conceived by the Tories in the 1980s specifically prevented LAs from using the money they raised to build new houses. Thanks Maggie.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

That was crazy, wasn't it, antone? More of the selling off the family silver policy. :(

HB

Aye, it was spectacularly stupid.

I mean, private sector rents are a lot higher than those in the social sector. So what did we do?

1) Force councils to sell their housing stock at up to 50% less than its market value.

2) Prevent them from using the proceeds to build new houses.

3) Notice that most of the council houses that had been sold ended up in the hands of buy-to-let landlords

4) Who charge about four times the rent that would be expected from the same house in the social sector

5) And the rent is, in many cases, paid by Housing Benefit

6) Thus making HB the second largest welfare expenditure in the UK after pensions

7) And transferring large sums of public money into the hands of private businesses

Genius.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

The right to buy scheme as conceived by the Tories in the 1980s specifically prevented LAs from using the money they raised to build new houses. Thanks Maggie.

I didn't realise that!

BCOBS

Given how expensive housing benefit is, it is stupid not to invest government spending on building council houses. Then they will have assets, which will go up in value and for which they will receive rent or even some mortgage payment on a rent to buy basis. There is also the employment it creates directly and within the material supply chain.

The Church of England could also be investing in building lots of new houses. They own a lot of land and have plenty of money.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

High property prices indirectly lead to better receipts in tax etc and increase gdp figures.

Naturally against current government interest to deflate property values

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

The Church of England could also be investing in building lots of new houses. They own a lot of land and have plenty of money.

Absolutely.

What happened to the vows of charity and poverty?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/church-of-england-must-sell-some-off-of-its-land-in-response-to-housing-crisis-says-report-10311182.html

High property prices indirectly lead to better receipts in tax etc and increase gdp figures.

Naturally against current government interest to deflate property values

Interesting observation there Sabreheep.

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days

• 3 months later...

I often question the 'Affordable Housing' in London. 1 & 2 bed flats being sold off plan from between 450K - 800K. Which part of these prices are affordable? Even if they are brought via the help to buy scheme it's huge costs per month and large salaries are needed to keep up with the monthly expenses. The Housing Benefit cap has caused no end of problems as the private landlords are not getting the high rents as time before. I work in this area and it's pure evictions on a regular basis and families being told to move out of London where properties are cheaper to rent. This just causes isolation broken links and connections with adults and children alike. Flat pack housing is a good solution in many countries. Im not sure if it woukd take off in the UK as the interest will be on units which can have a mortgage on it. Plus im not sure what building control would have to say not to mention the planning departments. These issues are not an issue in Sweden and the homes are built to superb quality with long standing materials. I'm thinking of a completely different housing model of starter homes. I will write to Boris Johnson before he leaves his post.

If you remove mps second homes then that's about 400ish new council houses

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Rogers Stirk Harbour ready to roll out thousands of flatpack homes.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/rogers-stirk-harbour-ready-to-roll-out-thousands-of-flatpack-homes/5080170.article

Interesting that the insulation properties are top.

Read somewhere on heating etc coming to 7.00 a week.

Hope no one asks me to find where i read this.

If this does catch on building companies will not be that happy.Quick build saving thousands on traditional building costs.

And some of the bigger blocks are quite pleasing on the eye.

The Lewisham plans had been closely watched by other London boroughs.

Quote Ruby 50

The Housing Benefit cap has caused no end of problems as the private landlords are not getting the high rents as time before. I work in this area and it's pure evictions on a regular basis and families being told to move out of London where properties are cheaper to rent. This just causes isolation broken links and connections with adults and children alike. Flat pack housing is a good solution in many countries.

Got to stop this otherwise the low paid workers will sooner or later vanish from near Towns and cities.

And who will keep essential services going then.

Schools,cleaning,transport,carers,many many cities and towns need the low paid grafters.To stay nearby.

Thank you Tawnyowl,Your so right, local people are needed for the industry and workforce and its not in anyones best interest to move people / families out of the area.I will have a look at your article: Rogers Stirk Harbour and i will let you know my views. I wonder if this concept would work, there could be a business case to put forward, I wonder how the logistics would work. If a 3 bed room house could be build via half the initial outlayi cant see why this would not be a good option. The land to build on would be a problem due to the cost. I understand it takes thoses with skill and experience to errect these buildings. This is what i call 'affordable housing' not a 2 bed flat from 400K - 600K. Yesterday i saw a 1 bed flat in Putney for 755K but it could bepurchased via the 'help to buy' scheme so that will make all the difference, I'm sure.

From some articles i have read.

In England alone there are 66,000 hectares of brownfield land belonging to the Government, public bodies and local councils.

That equates to an area the size of the West Midlands we could build on. So let’s develop and retain this land for the people,

Respected architect Richard Rogers has now developed a flat-pack home for about £70,000.

It can be assembled in 48 hours and is 90 per cent more energy efficient than a normal house.

So the public keeps the land and the Government gets a return from the rents and a cut of the sales.

It’s a far more sustainable and long-term way of solving our housing crisis.

I must have worked on hundreds of Victorian houses and although well built how long can people keep tinkering around with them.

Some i have worked on shake when cars and lorries went past.

90% Of Chimney stacks mortar and bricks deteriorated and usually do not need a hammer to remove or even take down.

And how many times have i seen houses off the shoreline being built with weak bricks that last about 20 years.Pretty for a while.

Take a look in your area,look up and check them out,not many do.Look at the state of chimneys and roofs above shops and some houses.Scary stuff.

Some areas i am very careful during windy days because of the state some are in.In towns above shops people are walking by.

And the hidden concrete cancer in high rise that no one talks about because of the prices when selling.

And the concrete jungle has taken over many gardens.As parking becomes scarce.Driveways where gardens used to be,ugly,ugly ,ugly.Not everyone will agree,fair enough.

And some with the cavities tight cannot be insulated or was the case.

Not the best of places to live in.

And expensive to heat.Maintain.

Personally having checked some of these flatpack homes out i would not hesitate to get in one with all the possible savings to be made.

Rather be left with a few pounds in the pocket.At the end of the month.My view and fully understand other people's views.

Bricks and mortar sooner or later will fade away and be forgotten in the mists of time.I have asked for it now.Fair enough bring it on.

For those with a few pounds to spare.I would settle for one of these would you.

Erected in two days and move in.

https://www.weberhaus.co.uk/?google_campaign_id=8f761969-d562-a46b-19b5-5523d3c4d364&gclid=CMjExri-kssCFUsUwwodq9YL2A

Homes by Ikea :jaw:

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Well looking around the best i can come up with is

Most people know what they mean when they talk about “affordable housing” - they mean housing

which someone living and working in the community can afford to buy, or housing for rent available at a monthly

rent which can be afforded by someone on a local wage.

Met a good few people who moved from London and for the first time had a little free time instead of working all the hours god sends just to survive in the smoke of a city.Although i must admit cities do have their history and i would find it wrenching to move out myself.

So as prices rise and rents rise there clearly is a problem.One hell of a problem i should think for some.

And if interest rates were to rise for many with mortgages major problems could arise.

Reading that many who are paying interest only and have made no plans to pay the borrowed sum off at the end of the mortgage.Could be another looming problem.

So personally cheaper housing maybe needed,so roll out the flatpacks for rent or mortgage is a way possibly out of this.

Big POSSIBLY.And give people their lives back.Some must feel like robots or slaves even in some places.Everyone needs a little spare time.

What is the saying work to live not live to work,something like that.

As for people who are on the dole or sickness i think but do not know if they would get a little help perhaps paying the interest or rent,but am no expert on this.So many cuts have been made.And changes.

Probably got that wrong,i tend to.

My Mum & Dads first home was bought for £250 and about 55 years later it would sell for £400,000. It is just a 3 bed semi on a fairly busy road on the outskirts of London.

My Nans 3 bed semi was sold in the early 1980's for about £30k and would now sell for about £400k.

The massive rise is house prices has been going since the late 1980's. There was a correction in the early 1990's after the ERM mess, but after that prices accelerated again.

It is not just a supply/demand issue. This whole issue can be traced back to the Banking changes brought in by Ronald Reagan and copied elsewhere. There was a change from sober Banking by old fashioned Bank managers, to a new generation of Bankers who were driven to take huge risks, by increasing the supply of money. This is what led to the Banking crash in 2007/08 and still affects the value of assets now. The Banks and Government won't risk reducing value of assets, by building millions of more affordable homes, because it would cause trouble to Banks who hold property assets worth hundreds of billions.

Government should be allowing more park home type sites and investing in new building technology to create modern dense building in old brownfield sites.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

From some articles i have read.

In England alone there are 66,000 hectares of brownfield land belonging to the Government, public bodies and local councils.

That equates to an area the size of the West Midlands we could build on. So let’s develop and retain this land for the people,

Respected architect Richard Rogers has now developed a flat-pack home for about £70,000.

For those with a few pounds to spare.I would settle for one of these would you.

Erected in two days and move in.

https://www.weberhaus.co.uk/?google_campaign_id=8f761969-d562-a46b-19b5-5523d3c4d364&gclid=CMjExri-kssCFUsUwwodq9YL2A

Am I missing something?

£70,000 for a flatpack is very expensive. I assume that doesn't include utilities install (drains/sewage/elec/etc)

A decent energy efficient more traditional house build (but with modern design and materials) can be done at around 50k excluding all the utility stuff.

The Tory Legacy

I must admit tobyjug2 i was going for the higher range. For those with a few pounds to spare.

Back in the thread and on the net shows when looking around different ideas from different countries all seemingly looking for affordable housing for those on a local wage.

Some not very pretty,some reasonable.Pleasing on the eye.Energy efficient,low running costs.

Some call them sheds,some like them.

And as for utilities for those wealthier clients.

https://www.weberhaus.co.uk/complete-service/full-project-management/

They would, the lower range be a lot cheaper and because of the price of land would have to be built on brownfield sites.

Provided by councils and the government.For those in need of renting especially near London and other high price areas.

Sure it can be done,but who might it affect if went ahead.On a big scale.The housing situation is mad it seems in London.

And money men might not like this kind of idea at all.

Just proposing things that is all.

Any ideas and thoughts welcome.What would you propose to help low paid workers afford housing.

Whether renting or buying.What is the answer.

To be able to stay in areas they were born in and work.

Just found this.I must admit it shocked me,especially the prices quoted or estimated.

Insurance giant invests £50m in 'flat pack' housing factory in an attempt to alleviate Britain's chronic property shortage

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3461636/Insurance-giant-invests-50m-flat-pack-housing-factory-attempt-alleviate-Britain-s-chronic-property-shortage.html#ixzz41PFkCSKK

There must be many taking on huge mortgages.God help some if interest rates rise.

Or i am miles behind with understanding today's prices and what people now pay for homes.And are earning to pay these prices.

Heavy stuff and hard to take it all in.

What can people afford on the minimum wage in rents or mortgage even if two or three working in a household.

In the city.Must be driving people mad.6 months tenancy is bad enough but if having then to move a nightmare it must be.

Well my brain is frizzled now,i hope things get sorted.There must be experts in this field.

I will leave things now and see what develops over the next few weeks or months.

Have your say,throw your ideas in,they are most welcome.

Or if you know what is going on let us know.