Wihdrawn Pension - hardship application

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3103 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had always intended to withdraw my pension from an old employment scheme when I reached 55 (Summer this year) due to circumstances.

However, in April this year my husband died and he had no insurance to cover the funeral fees etc. I had a loan from a friend knowing my intentions of having my pension shortly. When I applied for my pension, I explained in detail what had happened and sent them a copy of his death certificate.

The scheme pays out at 2 levels. (i) element A = 27% reduction at age 55 instead of 60 and (ii) element B = 10% reduction due to hardship at age 55 instead of 60.

The committee only sit quarterly and therefore I was advised that I would initially be paid out on (i) with the 27% reduction until the committee had seen my documents and made a decision as to whether I would be entitled to the 'Hardship' level of pension.

I received the (i) rate at the reduction of 27% and have been advised over the telephone that circumstances have not met the committee's criteria and that I can appeal.

Please can anyone with any experience of these types of situations advise me as to how I would go about doing this and how I should word my appeal? I am discusted that I should have this hassle under these circumstances.

My cicrumstances are not getting any easier as my sister is terminally ill and will not make Christmas - I am struggling heavily financially and emotionally, I am a mess.

I would appreciate your guidance in this matter.

Many thanks in advance.

Shelley

Santander PPI X 2 **WON** claims on behalf of son (Oct 2010/ Mar 2011)

Citicard O/H (PPI) - **WON** Compound Interest Dec 2011

Citicard O/H (Charges) Bailiffs sent in August 2012

Barclaycard - **WON** Compound Interest Oct 2011

Monument - account information being sought for OH

Citicard - self - N1 submitted August 2012

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

Barclaycard - relation - Failed SAR sent 29/09/11

Halifax SAR sent 18/08/2011 for relation

LTSB - SAR sent 09/08/2011 for friend

So very sorry for your loss.

So to be clear, they are advising you, that the fact that your husband has passed away, with no insurance cover does not meet their hardship criteria. Leaving aside the fact that you have had to borrow to pay for the funeral expenses, I am assuming you will also be financially strapped moving forward !

I will try and find someone who might be able to advise.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hello Shelley.

My OH, 'pensions bore', advises that you should obtain a copy of the internal dispute resolution procedure [iDRP]. This will advise the information that you need to supply on why you're disputing the decision, for example that they haven't considered your circumstances fully. What information did you send them on your financial affairs, income and expenditure and so on?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

So very sorry for your loss.

So to be clear, they are advising you, that the fact that your husband has passed away, with no insurance cover does not meet their hardship criteria. Leaving aside the fact that you have had to borrow to pay for the funeral expenses, I am assuming you will also be financially strapped moving forward !

I will try and find someone who might be able to advise.

In a nutshell, spot on!

I explained in detail what had happened. I provided a breakdown of income and expenditure which displayed extreme hardship would be experienced due to the sudden change of circumstances.

I have been unable to meet some of my financial commitments and this has impacted upon my credit file now. This will naturally make it harder for me to obtain credit in the future, whereas, my original intention was to repay the loan to my friend and 're-jig' my finances to reduce the amount of interest on certain accounts, thus allowing me to pay smaller repayments on the remainder of my accounts and to take a small break away to contemplate the new chapter in my life.

I am unable to do this now but if i can overturn their decision it would assist in reducing some of my debt and hopefully enable me to plan for the immediate future maybe?

I will telephone them this week to ask for their internal dispute resolution procedure and see what their response will be.

From memory, the calibre of personnel I have spoken to previously, I don't think will have a clue what that is but one can try.

Santander PPI X 2 **WON** claims on behalf of son (Oct 2010/ Mar 2011)

Citicard O/H (PPI) - **WON** Compound Interest Dec 2011

Citicard O/H (Charges) Bailiffs sent in August 2012

Barclaycard - **WON** Compound Interest Oct 2011

Monument - account information being sought for OH

Citicard - self - N1 submitted August 2012

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

Barclaycard - relation - Failed SAR sent 29/09/11

Halifax SAR sent 18/08/2011 for relation

LTSB - SAR sent 09/08/2011 for friend