Utility Company Blocked Car On Drive

chris0241
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3094 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Looking for advice...

National Grid dug up the pavement outside my and my neighbours house last Thursday to replace gas pipes (scheduled work, not emergency). Unfortunately my car was trapped on the drive and they made no effort prior to notify me of works and ask for the car to be moved. The hole was open for 5 days, after which (with warning to them) I took it into my own hands and filled it in.

I lost a days work (Saturday), and invoiced them for half a days labour on the Monday (this is confirmed in a recorded phone call).

Just wondering what the forum think my next steps should be?

It's clearly illegal to block a car on a driveway (New Roads & Street Work Act 1991 / Traffic Management Act 2004) but what and how do I proceed?

Thanks in anticipation,

Chris

You took it into your own hands by filling in a hole caused by a utility company on the public highway without permission?? Gas at that

I would keep very quiet on that, just on any possible health and safety implictions or you will find yourself with a summons to a magistrate

You took it into your own hands by filling in a hole caused by a utility company on the public highway without permission?? Gas at that

I would keep very quiet on that, just on any possible health and safety implictions or you will find yourself with a summons to a magistrate

The law only states moving signage, barriers and lighting is an offence. And 5 hours later, the workmen returned, dug out their hole and refilled. Where do i stand on losses?

No, it is a major offence to interfere with anything gas related

That comes under the GAS safe Regulations and you need a Gas ticket to handle anything gas related

The workman came and dug the whole again that you filled in as another individual has to test the conections and sign the work off as safe before filling it in again

Hi all,

Looking for advice...

National Grid dug up the pavement outside my and my neighbours house last Thursday to replace gas pipes (scheduled work, not emergency). Unfortunately my car was trapped on the drive and they made no effort prior to notify me of works and ask for the car to be moved. The hole was open for 5 days, after which (with warning to them) I took it into my own hands and filled it in.

I lost a days work (Saturday), and invoiced them for half a days labour on the Monday (this is confirmed in a recorded phone call).

Just wondering what the forum think my next steps should be?

It's clearly illegal to block a car on a driveway (New Roads & Street Work Act 1991 / Traffic Management Act 2004) but what and how do I proceed?

Thanks in anticipation,

Chris

As they gave you no advance written notice...then I think you are justified in your actions and should seek financial loss.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

As they gave you no advance written notice...then I think you are justified in your actions and should seek financial loss.

Andy

Anything claimed will go to charity. This is a principal thing.

Andy, how do I go about it? Their complaints dept have issued a deadlock letter and they legal dept simply say 'go ahead'.

Simply issue a LBA ( Letter before Action ) stating the nature of your grievance and inconvenience and losses incurred and allow say 10/14 days for a response.Its important to close your letter with...

" Failure to respond or comply to my dispute within the given time frame allowed will leave me no option but to issue a small court claim through the Northampton county court (CCBC) which will request further costs and interest...I hope that this is not necessary and look forward to your response at your earliest convenience ".

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

14 day Letter before action

Your probem will be quantifying any loss.

You say you lost a days work,

They will come back with why did you not take the train or bus to limit any loss??

I am just putting myself in their shoes

Because I supply a van load of equipment when I work. And 7am on a Saturday morning it's not really possible to start opening accounts with rental companies etc...

Thanks Andy...

And does it get expensive to follow through the Small Claims or is it truly in favour of the layman?

It depends on the value of your claim...the fees are on a sliding scale.....have a read of the following thread...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?437299-Excellent-interactive-guide-to-the-small-claims-process-from-Warrington-Trading-Standards&p=4654892#post4654892

and then go to MCOL WebSite.

Im sure you will have no troubles collecting from NG should you attain judgment:-)

have to admit they are a pain, they just moved from the next street over (Nottinghamshire) to mine, fortunately they arn't on our side of the road but the neighbours we have had issues in the past with are now complaining.

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: