Is landlord legally required to put up a TV aerial if there isn't one already there?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3110 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a new roof put on my rented house about 18 months ago and in the process had the TV aerial removed because it was not being used and was in a poor state of repair. It’s been fine for 18 months but now I have a new tenant who wants a TV aerial. I don’t want another TV aerial up there because I think they are ugly and I have just spent a fortune having the chimney re-rendered and damp proofed. At the moment I have a nice clean roof and very presentable chimney which I think an aerial would detract from. The house is connected to cable so BT and Virgin are both options which previous tenants have been using. They also have broadband so I assume they must already have a cable subscription which basic TV similar to Freeview can be added to. The letting agency says the law has recently changed and I am required to provide an aerial by law. This sounds like a load of rubbish to me. Is anyone aware of such a law and what the position is on this?

I’ve found lots of hits about maintaining an existing aerial but not much about whether you are legally required to put one up if there is not one there.

Ask them what law. I don't believe it, as TV is not essential. There will be some properties where you cannot have an aerial e.g conservation area.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Im not aware of any such law, if the property is leasehold, the lease may say something about this, normally along the lines of no extra aerials to be put up or only shared satellite dishes, etc.

I agree. Sounds rubbish to me too. Have asked the letting agent for details of the law. Also asked the tenants who their ISP is so I can check what TV subscriptions are on offer.

I agree. Sounds rubbish to me too. Have asked the letting agent for details of the law. Also asked the tenants who their ISP is so I can check what TV subscriptions are on offer.

You have no right to this information it is private and confidential. If you approach the tenant about this you could get issues re: harassment. Don't do it. If you want to know what services are offered then locate this yourself. If you was my LL I would report this fact. Also you may want to consider keeping out of your tenants affairs before you face strong letters from those that can stop it... Not a good move there I am afraid...

You can always provide an in loft Ariel for the house its invisible from the outside.

Finally seriously what business is it of yours what the tenant uses for a service provider.... Thin ice very thin ice....

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

You have no right to this information it is private and confidential. If you approach the tenant about this you could get issues re: harassment. Don't do it. If you want to know what services are offered then locate this yourself. If you was my LL I would report this fact. Also you may want to consider keeping out of your tenants affairs before you face strong letters from those that can stop it... Not a good move there I am afraid...

You can always provide an in loft Ariel for the house its invisible from the outside.

Finally seriously what business is it of yours what the tenant uses for a service provider.... Thin ice very thin ice....

I think you need to get down off your high horse there my friend.

I asked for the ISP because the house is connected to cable and if they already have broadband (which they have freely told me) then I was going to offer to pay towards the extra for a TV subscription as a compromise and wanted to check prices.

As it happens they have already replied that they are on Virgin so I will check the prices of a basic Virgin TV subscription and offer to pay half towards it.

Fortunately I am on good terms with my tenants and we are having a constructive dialogue on this issue. Unlike yourself who, it appears, would fly off the handle and start quoting legal clauses as the slightest innocent inquiry from your landlord.

I got rid of the outside aerial years ago.

Now every tv in the house is connected to a micro aerial available for a few pounds on Amazon /ebay and we get perfect reception.

Possibly your area would also have a good signal and you could get away with one of these micro aerial.

Check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
I got rid of the outside aerial years ago.

Now every tv in the house is connected to a micro aerial available for a few pounds on Amazon /ebay and we get perfect reception.

Possibly your area would also have a good signal and you could get away with one of these micro aerial.

Check it out.

Thanks for the tip! I purchased one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KV9C8LY/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item The tenant informs me it is working fine and he's very happy. Problem solved to everyone's satisfaction :)

Well done and many thanks for updating t1grm ...delighted that this has been resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread