Never ending payments

poppynurse
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3115 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My good friend is in a financial mess..

..he owes thousands to a number of companies and the debts have been sold on several times.

He is making small payments on each debt every month and has had the interest frozen but it is going to take him years to pay these off.

He cannot go for an IVA or bankruptcy due to the nature of his employment.

Any suggestions as to how we can agree an end date with these companies, with hopefully a proportion of the debts written off?

He is very demoralised at the prospect of making these payments for the next 30 or 40 years, or until he dies....

He is a proud man and wants to pay what he can, and keep working

but the only option I can see is for him to do an IVA or bankruptcy

and lose his job and go on benefits which he does not want to do.

Any ideas??

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

He will need to prioritise the debts, in as much as rent/mortgage 1st Council Tax second and so on, credit card debts are not priority debts and he can take time in dealing with them, never ever fail to respond to s set of Court papers.

Are any of the debt for Council Tax? or anything that can get a Bailiff involved? As these will need to be dealt with straight away...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

yes please list, original creditor, current owner, amounts, when each ac opened

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

Lloyds bank £10000 with Moorcroft Debt Recovery Interest rate 0%, paying £30 a month, no term, pre 2009 debt

Cahoot £6000 with Apex Credit Management, paying £20 a month, no term, pre 2009 debt

RBS card services £6800 with Allied International Credit, this debt dates back to 2006 or earlier

I will get him to get an up to date credit report...

He does pay his priority debts and is effectively paying token amounts on the above. No threats of baliffs....

Thanks for the update, with those he is paying has he sent the creditors and request for the credit agreement? As they may not be enforceable?

This is done via either a CCA or SAR request. You can find more info in this here for the CCA http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387435-CCA-Request-Consumer-Credit-Act-1974-**Updated-January-2015**

Or here for the SAR http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387306-Full-Subject-Access-Request-**Updated-January-2015**

A CCA request goes to the debt collector, this costs you £1-00 please make sure that he gets proof of postage which is free, do not sign the PO for the fee. They then have just 12+2 days to comply with the request

A SAR costs £10-00 again you have to sign this letter but change the style of signature, then get proof of postage, this can take up to 40 days to comply. Once the SAR is returned get reclaiming all of the fees for late or over limit fees and the like.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

cca requests to each dca chasing, sounds like mostly still with the oc, except perhaps cahoot/apex

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

If the person in question is in financial difficulty then reduce the payments he is making to £1-00 per month, it may be the Debt Collectors (DCA's) could having been fleecing you all of this time. More on this later ok?

With debts that large have you considered a debt relief order??

http://www.stepchange.org/Howwecanhelpyou/DRODebtrelieforder.aspx?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=200109&WT.seg_1=debt%20relief%20order&gclid=CJ6cjdTxmcgCFYrpwgodOy4BXA

Get rid of this noose once and for all

DRO won't work for him as he needs his vehicle and tools for business....but thanks for the thought

As a precaution I have always used my mobile to take a photograph of the letter and PO for my own security, that way you will have proof that one was sent. I also use recorded delivery it is worth the £1-79 fee, this will also give you proof of signature as well. Keep all letters for future reference should they be needed at a later stage..

just use free proof of posting

don't sign anything

leave the £1PO BLANK.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Does your friend own their own property ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

morning! he owns no property

Then I don't see any problem with either ceasing or dropping payments to £1.00 - it might be wise first to obtain CCAs and check if there are default / penalty charges. Find out if these debts are still be reported on credit files or whether the 6 years from default has passed. Was there any mis sold PPI ? If he is self employed then PPI would not have been suitable.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

PPI has already been reclaimed and offset against balances as he is indeed self employed, it is the prospect of indefinitely paying that is the issue....will be getting credit report today and requesting cca's as a first step ;)

then they can never comeback

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

OK....response from Apex Credit Management following the CCA request:

Apex..are not the data holding branch and are therefore not obliged to supply the data.....this information should be requested from our clients Santander...

Is this correct??

if they are acting for their client

one wonder why they are being paid?

pay Santander direct and p'haps negotiate a freeze of interest.

dx

and they