Insurance. Driving other vehicles!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. Query regards driving other cars. I am insured to drive a Citroen c3. My policy states that i am allowed to drive other cars with the owners permission. Now how does this work when pulled over by the law if i am driving another car that has tax and mot but not showing any insurance.As the driver(me) is insured to drive it. If the car is sorn as not insured. Would the owner get notification of no insurance?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The other car normally has to be insured as well for you to drive it, check your own policy for exact wording, you would definitely get a pull from the police as it will still show as uninsured unless you add it temporarily to your policy which may be the safest way.

dfh101

Be careful with driving other cars extension.

Check terms. You know it is third party only cover while driving. So no cover for any damage you do. Also if you park it while going to a shop, it is not covered.

It is meant to be temporary cover when you have urgent need to drive another car. It is not a replacement for normal insurance. It won't show as insured on the database and if stopped the Police might be reluctant to accept the driving other car cover.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Have checked the policy and yes 3rd party cover. However if stopped by the law the driver has insurance so they can not lift it.!? I agree its a policy for temporary cover. I am concerned that if the car is with out insurance does the owner of the car get a notification that the car is on the road?

Have checked the policy and yes 3rd party cover. However if stopped by the law the driver has insurance so they can not lift it.!? I agree its a policy for temporary cover. I am concerned that if the car is with out insurance does the owner of the car get a notification that the car is on the road?

They could, as your cover would not be on the database.

It you were stopped by the Police, they might not let you drive on, until they have checked with your Insurance company. If they managed to get through on the phone, the Insurers might ask why you had urgent need to drive the car. If they were not satisfied, it could get tricky, with car held until Insurance is proved. If the Police could not speak to your Insurers they may not let you drive on, whatever it states in your insurance certificate.

This topic always causes arguments. The Police have realeasd press statements before saying that they are not happy about driving other car cover and have asked insurers to tighten their procedures. Also insurers have raised their own concerns, that the cover is miss used by people.

I would only ever use it, for a one off emergency.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

But have the police released a public statement saying that the 'other car' MUST be insured in its own right?

Or is that decision down to each insurer, in which case it should specify the requirements on each policy.

It is rare that the police cannot contact an insurer, thats why they have dedicated phone numbers, so they arent left on hold like you or I would be.

Yes insurance certificates have different wordings. I think there was talk of a move to standardise requirement to have vehicle insured by owner or keeper. So cover was always shown on the database.

Think the Police do contact Insurers, particularly if they find a car full of teenagers. Depends whether they have the time and what risk they perceive.

You can drive someone else's car on your own insurance policy, but it still has to be covered by the owners policy at the same time

If there is no cover by the owners policy, you will get done for driving without insurance, even if your policy allows you to drive it

It seems to me that the other vehicle should be insured or the keeper would be committing an offence.

The DOC cover should be purely for emergencies, say a driver is injured or becomes ill a passenger could continue the journey.

When stopped, the police will contact the insurer if they think there is any risk of an offence being committed, lots of people pay a month to get the certificate then cancel the policy but keep the certificate to show the police if stopped.

SORN is Statutory Off Road Notification, so it shouldn't even be on the road. You definitely can't drive another car unless it has it's own insurance... it's the car that has to be insured, not you. Bonkers, but true. But you can drive an insured car on your policy.

If the car was meant to be off the road, SORNed and uninsured by the owner, then if the car was pulled over, on the road, then the owner will get fined

Unless he says you did not have permission to be driving to be driving the car, then you are in a lot of trouble

You can drive someone else's car on your own insurance policy, but it still has to be covered by the owners policy at the same time

If there is no cover by the owners policy, you will get done for driving without insurance, even if your policy allows you to drive it

This would only be correct if your own policy eg the policy providing DOC stipulated that the other car must hold it's own Insurance, there are still plenty of Insurers who do not stipulate the other car must hold it's own insurance and thus such an Insurer providing DOC (Without the requirement for the other car to hold it's own insurance) do not need the other car to hold it's own Insurance

Hi. Query regards driving other cars. I am insured to drive a Citroen c3. My policy states that i am allowed to drive other cars with the owners permission. Now how does this work when pulled over by the law if i am driving another car that has tax and mot but not showing any insurance.As the driver(me) is insured to drive it. If the car is sorn as not insured. Would the owner get notification of no insurance?

If you produce your relevant Certificate of Insurance eg your Certificate that covers you to drive other vehicles when you're stopped, then providing the policy has not been cancelled etc the police cannot legally seize your vehicle. If they do seize the vehicle they're not abided by the law and you can look to recover your costs from the Police.

This is assuming the Certificate itself does not stipulate the other vehicle must hold it's own Insurance (Some contain this wording).

I beg to differ

On all those cop shows the old bill check the other persons insurance. Both vehicles must have insurance,

The cop shows frequently show the police making errors when it comes to insurance.

Just because they're police and on television does not mean they do not make mistakes. They tend to make the same assumptions about Insurance that the general public do which can be wrong

Also if you park it while going to a shop, it is not covered.

That's debatable, there's no direct case law (AFAIK) regarding leaving a parked car and it becoming uninsured under DOC when you pop into a shop.

However all of the other case law regards an overall journey with say a stop in a garage or shop during the trip being regarded as part of the same journey and the driver of the vehicle when they parked it for a short stop in a shop as still being in charge of the vehicle in the eyes of the law.

If you parked the vehicle up for a long period, the law would most likely regarded you as no longer in charge of the vehicle and thus it being uninsured.

All i see are a lot of assumptions and no links to statute as confirmation

You're relying on TV police shows and what you're friends say down the pub.

Which parts of the laws relating to DOC and / or my posts in this thread would you like me to explain in detail?

All i see are a lot of assumptions and no links to statute as confirmation

Perhaps you could come up with links to statute to prove your assertion that the other vehicle being driven under DOC must hold it's own cover by law