Hardship+ hsbc + huge charges bill

cookie1976
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2787 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello dear friends after another charges added by HSBC to my account ive decided to look around what i can do to reclaim those charges.

Lucky enought had acces to online statements for last 72 months (HSBC) so i done my home work.

Total charges added to my bank account over last few years :

2009 - 25

2010 - 850

2011 - 995

2012 - 726

2013 - 495

2014 - 434

2015 - 188

so total 3713 pounds in bank charges.

I went thrue few topics regarding bank charges and reclaiming them and i decided to go ahead.

I had few times conversation with bank asking them if we can do something to stop those charges without any help from bank.

What ive done so far :

1. Prepared letter using Your template requesting bank charges to be paid back to my account under hardship

2. prepared schedule of all bank charges from jan 2010 till now

both letters will be send out to HSBC.

My first question should i adress those letters to branch, head office or any other department of HSBC?

will keep you inform about outcome.

Thank You

• 4 weeks later...

Hello just a quick update:

1. received letter from HSBC they wont give back charges

2. i did asked them in letter to stop adding new charges because that only pushes me in deeper problems and today another 80 pounds charge.

Is there any one on this forum with knowladge and willing to help please.

thank you

OK

In orer to help members help you. Please can we have some history.

Also can you copy into the thread the correspondence between you and HSBC (But remove all personal info and anything that can be used to identify you, including barcodes and reference numbers.

Also start reading up on BCOBS

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Hello

This the accual letter ive posted to hsbc:

i will post their reply soon just need to get it scaned.

thanks

"

TO :

HSBC Bank

Dear Sir/Madam,

SORT : ...................ACCOUNT NUMBER : .................................

REQUEST FOR CONSIDERATION AS A CASE IN FINANCIAL DIFFICULTY ( HARDSHIP)

I am writing to reclaim all bank charges on my account from January 2010.

I am unhappy that these charges have been applied to my account and in this letter I am registering my complaint. I refer to the Lending Code guidelines to which you subscribe, issued in March 2011. I request that you stop adding interest and charges to the above account. The interest and charges serve only to add to the Financial Difficulties I am currently experiencing. In this connection, I draw your attention to paragraphs 224 - 227 in Section 9 of the Lending Code.

I need you consider my case as a matter of urgency as I because I am in financial hardship. This is because since we came in to United Kingdom most of the time we ( my family) where living on one salary. Because lots of problem at that time and Court case in ............. between my wife and her previous husband regarding their daughter there was lots of expenses strictly connected to that situation and that pushed us to extremely bad financial situation. Our debt was growing from year to year and we ended up asking citizens advice bureau for help with they done. Our situation was going to be better and then in September 2012 my dad killed himself ad I had to go back to ............... to assist and arrange funeral. Again because of our financial hardship I had to borrow money from family, I had not paid some bills to arrange all that.

Since then we do have ongoing financial problem from witch one we did not recovered till now. Unfortunately I do have 12 defaulted credit accounts because I was unable to repay because of financial hardship and all problem around. From that time (jan 2010) I’m unable to meet priority financial commitments including, but not limited to, council tax, food and utility bill. I do not repay any creditors because I don’t have any money I can offer. Since January 2010 we do receiving support from government e.g. working tax credits, child benefit and housing benefit due to fact I’m the only person working in our family ( me , my wife, and two daughters). Since I remember we always had problems with reaching basic financial commitments. Over those yeas that effected with multiple accounts defaulted, utility accounts with balance around -5000 pounds, delays on council tax bill (arrears of about 800 pounds) and further complications ( attachment to earnings because non-payment o council tax).

Within time due to changes in legislation our situation becomes even worst due to constant decrease of applied amounts we were entitled to. All that lead me to problems with stress, difficult in controlling my own emotions and depression. At the moment I’m fighting for my marriage because is on the edge of brake down and my 8 year old daughter suffering from stress because difficult situation between me and my partner. Today I had to call council tax recovery section to ask them if I can delay payment of 75 pounds because I don’t have money to cover my food and fuel to work as I got 170 pounds left on my account till next salary in .................... 2015.

My wife does not work because she have back problems since she had car accident back in October 2011 and she was recovering from accident over fallowing next two years.

Please not I did contacted bank on multiple occasion over phone with request of cancelling bank charges because of financial hardship on some occasions You agreed to cancel it ( 2 occasions) over those years, but most of the time it was refused based on fact as I was told that you can cancel in your good faith once over 6 months period. I tried twice to ask bank for help with charges by setting up something or by stopping charges to be applied to my account I was not provided with any help or advice from your bank. Thru all those years my situation went from bad to extremely bad.

I do please You to concider all the facts I had provided to You all of them can be confirmed by my credit file, confirmation of case my wife had against her previous husband in Poland, my wife accident documents, my father death certificate, my financial statements, current utility bills, ctax bills, housing benefit award, child tax credit award etc.

Furthermore I enclose a schedule of charges which have been added to my account during this period of Financial Difficulty.

I therefore request that you repay all my default charges since January 2010 which total 3688 pounds.

Under the FCA guidelines, HSBC BANK PLC has 8 weeks to resolve my complaint. I trust that you will deal with my case within this period. If not, I will refer the matter to the Financial Services Ombudsman.

I look forward to receiving a full response to this letter within 14 days

Yours faithfully,

"

Edited by citizenB
formatting for easier reading

Thread moved to HSBC forum in the hope your thread gets more traffic and help etc. This is an admin move so keep posting here :)

Regards

SS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I have sent an SOS out, see if that generates any help.

In meantime

Start looking up BCOBS and any FCA guidelines regarding Customers in financial difficulty

Cookie, could you please convert your jpegs in post # 5 to pdf format - it will make it easier for people to read.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Can you not move bank to stop them taking you income???

Then at least that will limit the damage.

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Cookie,

Experience so far has shown that banks are simply unwilling to refund penalties levied in the past. I drafted that letter in an optimistic way some time back, hoping the banks would refund. I'm not aware of success using The Lending Code in this way.

However, the bank should take note if you are experiencing ongoing FD's and I DO believe they should stop adding charges from when you drew their attention to your FD's.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Cookie,

Experience so far has shown that banks are simply unwilling to refund penalties levied in the past. I drafted that letter in an optimistic way some time back, hoping the banks would refund. I'm not aware of success using The Lending Code in this way.

However, the bank should take note if you are experiencing ongoing FD's and I DO believe they should stop adding charges from when you drew their attention to your FD's.

Thank You for advice.

Well in my case ive made bank aware long time ago when i was asking for removing bank charges

what they agreed to do it on couple occasions. that did not change the fact that those charges are pushing me into snow ball effect.

example this month 80 pounds bank charges for informal OD.

because of that i couldnt pay car insurance and tv licence.

all three those transaction are DD from my account.

all together about 70 pounds.

bank agreed to pay those transaction and charging me againn for lending money

- informal overdraft 5 pounds a day on anything over 10pounds below zero.

month after month year after year they using my poof finansial situation to push me into bigger **** (appologies for that) but thats the fact.

thanks a lot for help

get your income out of their grubby hands

go start a parachute account an move..vote with your feet

there is nothing stoping you.

then deal with them

take control of YOUR money,,,not let them do it

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

hi Cookie,

Take DX's advice and open an a/c elsewhere, asap !

Could you identify a date when either :-

1. You made the bank aware that your were in FD's.

2. The bank should have been aware from your a/c activity that you were in FD's.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

hi Cookie,

Take DX's advice and open an a/c elsewhere, asap !

Could you identify a date when either :-

1. You made the bank aware that your were in FD's.

2. The bank should have been aware from your a/c activity that you were in FD's.

cant open acc with Lloyds, cant open acc with barcl any sugestions...? well hsbc its not a case any more...

Yes bank was aware from 2010 that im facing fd's

i had few conversation with bank customer care line and in branch.

i also had arguing with them trying to explain why they wont allow to have small od limit

just in case but they allowing me to use informal overdraft line up to 150 pounds

( that was on the begining) then they decreased that to 100 pounds but not sure.

few Times bank agreed to cancel montly fees based on fact im facing fd's so they knew.

i can check obviously when they agreed to cancel first fees.

Thanks for help thank you!!!

Hi Cookie,

MSE had a recent article about basic bank a/c's - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/basic-bank-accounts

It would be useful to know when you think the bank was first aware of your FD's, thanks.

co-op and nationwide do basic card accounts online as well I think

dx

and they

co-op and nationwide do basic card accounts online as well I think

dx

just opened halifax account. good think it seems that they not charging if you accidently overdrawn acc by no more than 50 pounds.

im giving up on all this. dont know what to do. fees, debts, current bills. its just impossible to co op on one salary. trying to make up some money by dooing overtime - no Chance benefits going down as well and i cant make that much overtime to cover it.. i dont know if that makes sense. thanks for help guys specialy dx - big thanks ;-)

one more question ive noticed opening acc with halifax that they are part of Lloyds group. i had defaulet in 2010 account with Lloyds and usnolved dispute around charges. can Lloyds as bank can do anything to stop money on my halifax account to cover that defaulted account. something like in group procedurę if that makes sense...?

thank you

Hi Cookie,

MSE had a recent article about basic bank a/c's - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/basic-bank-accounts

It would be useful to know when you think the bank was first aware of your FD's, thanks.

it will be enought if i can proof that for example they canceled 50 pounds fees in jan 2010...? becasuse i ask tchem due to fd's?

Hi Cookie,

october 2009 first time i wend overdrawn and next month i have not received any fees for it . so that was the month i phoned tchem up asking to wave fees due to fd's

and they did it ( as there no fees added to acc in november 2009) thank you

I would reply to the bank saying you are not happy with their reply. Something like :-

I refer to your letter of xxdate.

I do not believe you have properly addressed my complaint, particularly with regard to The Lending Code, paragraphs 224 to 227.

The bank was aware, due to account activity and due to my contacting the bank, that I was experiencing Financial Difficulties.

Although the bank have, on occasions, refunded some of the default charges levied against me, the bank has continued to charge me when I believe it should not.

For this reason, I want the bank to review it's decision to not refund the charges I referred to in my previous letter. In particular, I want to know your reasons for deciding The Lending Code does not apply to my Financial Difficulties.

Please give me a specific response, and not a generic one.

If you are unwilling to refund, please confirm that is your Final Decision so I can refer the matter to The FOS as a formal complaint.

I would reply to the bank saying you are not happy with their reply. Something like :-

I refer to your letter of xxdate.

I do not believe you have properly addressed my complaint, particularly with regard to The Lending Code, paragraphs 224 to 227.

The bank was aware, due to account activity and due to my contacting the bank, that I was experiencing Financial Difficulties.

Although the bank have, on occasions, refunded some of the default charges levied against me, the bank has continued to charge me when I believe it should not.

For this reason, I want the bank to review it's decision to not refund the charges I referred to in my previous letter. In particular, I want to know your reasons for deciding The Lending Code does not apply to my Financial Difficulties.

Please give me a specific response, and not a generic one.

If you are unwilling to refund, please confirm that is your Final Decision so I can refer the matter to The FOS as a formal complaint.

thanks a lot will post somethingl ike that tomorrow.

thank you

Quick update.

Just moved my current account to halifax.

HSBC was verry sorry that i decided to close account.

i did posted letter mentioneb in above post and waiting for tchem to reply.

will keep updateing as new letters will come.

Thank You all for Help ;-)

Hi Cookie and glad to hear you've got the new account opened.

Let us know how they reply to your letter in post #22.