Caught Shoplifting in Sainsburys - Help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3166 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was stupidly accused of shoplifting at a local Sainsburys store after using the Scan and Go system.

As my Visa Electron card doesn't work on Chip and Pin machines in supermarkets, I'm forced to use cash at all times during transactions.

I naively scanned half of my shopping and paid for it with the cash I had in my wallet

and moved towards the exit of the store with the intention of leaving my trolley within sight of the ATM machine

so that I was able to withdraw cash to pay for the remainder of my shopping.

It was at this point I was apprehended by 2 Security Guards and the Store Manager

and asked to go out the back while my trolley was scanned again as it was believed I hadn't paid for my entire shopping, which on the face of it was true.

I suffer from anxiety and depression meaning that I struggle to communicate and as I was being questioned on shoplifting allegations

, I was accused of shoplifting and felt unable to communicate and defend myself in front of this audience and felt belittled.

I naively thought that if I admitted to the accusation and offered to pay the outstanding balance on my shopping then I would be free to go. I was wrong.

The Police were called and I have now been summoned for interview at a local Police station.

As I hadn't actually left the store, are they going to be able to prove that I had the intention of shoplifting and failing to pay for my goods?

I offered to make full payment on several occasions despite my admission and it's only my own naivety that's got me into this mess.

Help!! I'm so scared of this interview!

Hi and welcome to CAG.

I'm not sure that will wash with the police. Logically, you should have taken out enough cash to pay before you shopped. If you went over the amount you could have approached the attendant and explained the issue and left the trolley with him/her.

The only thing I can think of that will be in your favour is that you hadn't left the store so any claim you were shoplifting could be denied but if, after some checks, it is found you didn't have enough money in your account, you will be in trouble.

As it stands, you should make the police aware of your mental health issues. You can ask for a duty solicitor to attend.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thank you for your reply SilverFox1961.

I have advised the Officer dealing with the case of the issues I face and he's been nothing but understanding of the matter; although I hope you can appreciate the stress it continues to cause.

While I admit that it was naive at worst, I was in a rush and I perhaps should've left the trolley with an assistant but as mentioned I struggle to communicate verbally at times; even more so after the stress of trying to shop on a busy Saturday afternoon.

I have posted a written statement to the Officer although I've been told that there's still a requirement for an interview. As I hadn't left the store, what is the likely outcome of the interview? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I cannot say what will happen with the police although based on what you have posted above, they may take no further action or offer you a caution. I think NFA as you had left your trolley behind but obviously, I am no expert. The police may do things differently.

If you need to, you can ask if a responsible adult may accompany you.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I cannot say what will happen with the police although based on what you have posted above, they may take no further action or offer you a caution. I think NFA as you had left your trolley behind but obviously, I am no expert. The police may do things differently.

If you need to, you can ask if a responsible adult may accompany you.

Or, if it is an interview under caution, consider taking a solicitor (or asking for the duty Solicitor).

If you find yourself stopped for shop lifting, there are various rules that the civilian making the stop has to follow. This does not count if you've been stopped by police.

Remember, a Profit Protection Colleague, Security Officer or any body else other than the police have only the same rights as you or me. They have to see a certain set of instances known as "SCONE".

S - Selection of the item. (i.e, approaching a shelf empty handed, picking the item up).

C - Concealment (Putting the item in a bag, coat, whatever)

O - Observation (They have to watch you consistantly. If their vision is broken at any time, they shouldn't make a stop)

N - Non payment (Going beyond the last point of payment in store - This is your last chance to make your name clean by paying or making an excuse at the checkout)

E - Exit (Leaving the store completely past all points of payment with no intention of returning immediately)

If YOU believe that any of the above have not been followed, seen and recorded mentally by the officer who is observing you, YOU have every right to put the item down and leave the store.

using the Scan and Go system.

As my Visa Electron card doesn't work on Chip and Pin machines in supermarkets, I'm forced to use cash at all times during transactions. I naively scanned half of my shopping and paid for it with the cash I had in my wallet and moved towards the exit of the store with the intention of leaving my trolley within sight of the ATM machine so that I was able to withdraw cash to pay for the remainder of my shopping.

I work on self scan checkouts, and problems like this occur all the time, so you could ask how often something like this happens, customers don't have enough money, so let us know there going to the atm, and while they do this, we keep the trolley of messages for them, until they come back in

You could have informed a member of staff in store, you don't have enough money, and going to nip out to the atm, to get cash to pay everything in full

In hindsight, security had probably thought you were going to leave with out paying for your shopping in full

If you knew that your card wasnt accepted at the self scan point why didnt you queue up at an ordinary till or leave your trolley at customer services whislt you got the cash from the ATM? Is your A&D diagnosed? if so you could request that th police contact your doctor for a report should they be thinking of taking the matter further as a court would ask for a report anyway. If no confirmed diagnosis dont even consider raising the matter as it will be taken as bull