• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Kwik fit car insurance - one to avoid like the plague

F3DUPCONSUM3R
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3158 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I looked around and it looks like Kwik Fit is very "kwik" to cancel unilaterally car policies. Obviously they must be making a good profit out of that, right?

It happened to me too. I get paid weekly, and Direct Debits which are imposed as the only payment method by most insurers, are maybe good for monthly salaries, but matching a date of the month to a day of the week when I get paid weekly, is a total nightmare.

So, after a text message telling me of the usual 7 day notice and asking to get in touch, I sent Kwik Fit an email via their website for customers, on Tuesday 16th of June that due to payment mismatch date, the instalment would be paid on the Friday of that same week, 19th of June. That's just 3 days away! I always get paid weekly on Friday.

Kwik Fit did not bother to get in touch, but I did not expect them to get in touch because they never do. This kind of date mismatch happened on two previous occasions with Kwik Fit and it was not a problem.

Anyway, on Friday 19th of June I called Kwik Fit, as promised in my email to them 3 days earlier, to pay the insurance instalment. The Customer Rep was not able to process the payment and had to investigate. I was put on hold. He then returned to the call to tell me that the policy had been cancelled.

I called them again an hour later and was put through another Customer Rep and had a massive discussion about this. He did not reinstate the policy.

A few days later I got a demand for £430! Now, the matter has already been passed on to the Financial Services Ombudsman.

Basically, I really do not care about what the rules say! Whatever they say, it is clearly unfair to the Consumer and the rules are far too easy for the companies. It is clear they hammer the consumers left, right and centre!

I actually suspect Kwik Fit did not respond to my email on purpose, then let the policy cancel in order to then claim an outstanding balance. Good strategy for Kwik Fit, maybe. But as far as I am concerned, I will not pay this.

I understand that if I did not bother to contact them, then they would have a good reason to act like that. But I DID contact them and promised to settle the instalment on Friday, just 3 days away. And I fulfilled my promise to pay because I DID call them to pay the instalment on that Friday!

I just find Kwik Fit utterly despicable to do this. I find those in charge of regulations also at fault for not changing rules which run against the consumers all the time. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Will move your thread to the appropriate forum F3DUP...you will get a better response.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Some companies do cancel policies if the Direct Debit payment option is not working for them. They just don't want the hassle of doing the admin work required, as it costs them to employ staff, buildings, equipment etc. So they allow 1 or 2 hiccups with payments, but if it happens again they will often cancel the policy.

I see you have already complained to the FOS and i hope they look at how Kwik fit dealt with you. They should have been clearer with their communications and understood more the consequnces of cancelling the policy, when you would be asked for £430. If you struggled to manage the DD's, it was hardly likely you had a spare £430 to pay them.

Why is the whole remaining premium due ? Claim made during year ? Type of policy ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

[...] I see you have already complained to the FOS and i hope they look at how Kwik fit dealt with you. They should have been clearer with their communications and understood more the consequnces of cancelling the policy, when you would be asked for £430. If you struggled to manage the DD's, it was hardly likely you had a spare £430 to pay them.

Why is the whole remaining premium due ? Claim made during year ? Type of policy ?

I have had no claims for a whole 10 years and I do not have any claims filed with Kwik Fit. Presumably they feel they have the right to claim from me the outstanding balance of the rest of the Policy right up to its renewal date. I did not have breakdown insurance or third party additions to the Policy.

It is ridiculous that Insurance companies are allowed to impose just Direct Debits as their one and only payment method, and then allowed to cancel policies under circumstances like mine and even allowed to claim the rest of the policy term, even though they cancelled it.

The rules rig the system in order to transfer as much capital from the consumer to them as possible. Fact! In the UK, the constant rip-off of consumers is a reality and neither governments, parliament MP's, or regulation bodies do anything to change it.

It is our fault! We allow this to happen by sitting around without pushing them to the wall. I am FUMING! :mad2:

Not usual to require full annual premium for private car policy cancelled mid term.

Make sure they provide a full breakdown calculation of the cancellation amount they are asking for. Ask for this as part of your complaint.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

But they cancelled mid term. I don't think I would pay it either as they are not at any further risk.

These aren't 'rules' F3DUPCONSUM3R, they are terms they themselves make up and expect you to sign up to without having had any input in drafting a contract. As they are all 'boys together' in the insurance industry, you might have a problem with another company. Have you taken out a policy or enquired about a policy with another company ?

Kwik Krap insurance belongs to Ageas Retail Ltd along with RIAS, Castle Cover, Express Insurance, Auto Direct, Cover Direct and Done Deal Insurance.

Edited by Conniff