DVLA took away my full motorbike licence

king12345
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3108 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, I've just become the victim of dvla.

I sent my eu licence to them to be converted to a uk licence with all supporting documents and just to be on the safe side, a translation of the licence made by an official translator.

Got the licence but they removed my motorbike entitlement 😢

I called them and they confirmed that accordingly to their record I only have a motorbikes provisional licence.

I have been advised to send the licence back with a copy of the licence and translation that I duly photocopied before sending.

Would they fix it considering the numerous threads similar to this???

I'm fuming!

If they don't fix it, can i take them to court or I need to go through the motorbikes test again to prove a loss?

Please note that I went through and passed two separate tests, one for category "A" ( motorbike) and one for category "B" (car), so I am surely entitled to both licences.

Thanks for any reply.

Yes you can take them to court but only if you have documentation to show that you did in fact hold a full license.

How long ago was the tests taken and is the driving school still in existence ?

I have a copy of my licence translated by an official uk translator.

Also I spoke to the equivalent dvla where I got my motorbike licence in 1994 and they can provide a written record of my entitlements, but there's a fee for that plus postage to the uk.

Anyway, they have my original licence, why didn't they just read the entitlement from there.

In reality no translation was needed because on my original licence there's a box which says Cat."A" and the date next to it, so identical to the format of uk licence.

I sent the uk licence back to dvla as they suggested.

They received it last Monday recorded delivery, but I still didn't hear anything.

In the mean time I can't use my bike in this beautiful weather and waste petrol with my thirsty car 😢

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys, just a small update.

I spoke to dvla yesterday and they claimed of having received the licence only on the 14/08 when in fact they signed for the recorded delivery on 01/08.

Anyway, the woman on the phone assured me not to worry and I should get my licence with cat. A and B in the next 10 days.

In the mean time she advised me not to drive my bike because legally I haven't got a licence because of their admin error.

So more petrol to waste going around in the car instead of my bike.

I'm seriously considering asking them some money when and if they finally give me my licence back.

Yes, all recorded.

However, to expand further I asked her to take ownership of the file and she said that it's not within her department remit, but "from the supporting evidence you have produced there's nothing to worry about. It's clear that you have a cat. A entitlement"

To use her own words.

"But the final decision lies with a different department so I can't personally take the file over and issue you a licence"

In other words she agreed that I have a cat. A licence but I'm still under the dvla axe which could fall on my head because of their own error.

Somehow I have a feeling that this will end up in court.

Don't lose that recording. Put it on a usb stick or disc to be sure.

I won't lose it, but I don't think it would matter much.

After all she said that the final decision is down to another person in another department.

In other words it's like a person on the street giving their opinion.

Typical dvla!

Good news guys.

I got my Cat A reinstated after a month.

They have made a mistake in the actual date, but after a quick (recorded) call to them yesterday, they said that they can clearly see the correct date and they will amend without delays.

So this should be the last time I send the licence back.

At least now I can ride my bike again as the full licence is showing on the online database.

Thanks for your support, one less thing to worry about 😊

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I thought this was resolved but it's not.

Today, after waiting two weeks for the licence to be updated with the correct date, I called dvla and I was told the following.

"we have contacted the Italian authority and they confirmed that your licence was restricted for the first two years, that's why we changed the date"

Total nonsense.

There was no restriction whatsoever.

I got the licence and the day after I was driving a cbr 600 with my father consent who happened to be in the police force.

When I argued the toss, the guy on the phone said that that date will not be changed and not to waste any time on it.

Charming!

I asked to see this phantom written communication from the Italian authority and he said I have to sar them.

I know for a fact that this communication doesn't exist, it's impossible to get anything in writing in Italy in less than 3 months, at least from public offices.

Also that rule of restriction doesn't exist and never existed, confirmed today over the phone.

What should I do?

Should I just leave it?

It won't cost me any more in insurance.

The only problem I could face is that if I ever got pulled on a motorbike in Italy they would find a 2 year discrepancy and possibly think that I forged the licence.

What do you think?

They give you all this bull thinking 'he won't bother with that'. Do an SAR, it will cost £10 max. I suggest sending a cheque as that is not only easier to see if it's been cashed, but the DVLA tends to lose a lot of mail so if you send a Postal Order, they will probably claim it wasn't received. Also PO are difficult to get changed back if it should be returned to you, whereas a cheque can be stopped if they claim non receipt or a 'gotcha' letter sent if they cash it.

Send it by recorded

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, after waiting ages for a reply I finally got an explanation.

DVLA wasn't entirely wrong by using the 1996 date instead of 1994.

The reason is that when I passed my test in 1994 I was restricted to 350cc bikes for two years because of my young age.

So the full licence without any restriction became active in 1996.

I didn't know that, in fact I drove some monsters in those two years.

Thing is, in Italy nobody cares about this restriction and I only found out now because of DVLA.

Somehow my dad knew about this restriction but never told me anything 😁

Thanks for your help, I would be grateful if admin could mark the thread as "resolved".

Thanks