• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Forced to accept change of contract to include a minimum of 6 hours unpaid work per week

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3158 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had this before applied to a contract, but it was not as stringent as the OPs case. The extra hours were not listed, saying you must work an extra 5 hours with the contract hours increased. All that was added was a clause in the contract saying it was expected that an additional 5 hours per week minimum would be expected to fulfill the role. It did not make it compulsory that you had to clock on to work the extra hours and you could work the standard hours in the contract. But if you failed to perform the role doing standard hours, you would be taken down the disciplinary underperformance process.

Most companies expect you to work extra hours and quite often it is unpaid. It is only illegal, if it is against health & safety for the type of work or means pay is below minimum wage.

Quite a lot of contact centres expect staff to turn up half an hour or an hour before shift, to take part in team meetings or training. These extra hours are not paid, but are expected.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the thing is here it was never expected and now they want people to start doing it and changing the contract accordingly. It was never necessary to do this to fulfill a role, but now that they have made all these redundancies they need the rest to pick up the slack and should an employee have to accept that ?

I think the thing is here it was never expected and now they want people to start doing it and changing the contract accordingly. It was never necessary to do this to fulfill a role, but now that they have made all these redundancies they need the rest to pick up the slack and should an employee have to accept that ?

Wait to see the contract and see what happens. Quite a lot of staff may not sign it.

I don't like this type of thing, but it depends on the companies finances and whether they need to do it, so they can stay in business. Locally a company increased shift hours and days without any compensation. There was a strike and in the end some agreement was made so both company and employees were happy.

There is nothing to stop the staff getting together to seek a negotiation with the company.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

There is an update on this, my partner was called into an individual meeting yesterday and advised he is now at risk of redundancy and he would be told within 24 hours who from his group of three would be made redundant. Today he was told he is being made redundant and he could go home. On Thursday he is supposed to come back in to be handed his paperwork and given the selection criteria paperwork and information on the redundancy pay he is entitled to.

Number of total redundancies in his company : 1

Nice after 25 years.

He wanted to continue working really after 65 but he is now forcefully retired as he won't be finding new equal employment anymore. He will loose his private company healthcare, pension scheme, salary of course. Not bad, eh ?

Sorry to hear that. I would be asking about outplacement support.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Sorry, not loosing it. As he intended to continue working and he has to be in a pension scheme at work they would have started a new one for him to run for another 10 years (or for how long he would be working there) with life insurance thrown in.

Is this not the best outcome for your partner?

Given the situation (redundancies) there was no real possibility of working past retirement, and with retirement being so close, the redundancy payment should be considered a nice little bonus - they could have just waited the sort period until retirement age and let him retire.

or am I missing something?

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

“This is specifically not allowed. Mr. Mansour used to be a Cabinet Minister in Egypt, he has given the Tories a huge amount of money, and immediately gets a knighthood.

That seems straightforwardly corrupt.  Shouldn’t they both be in jail?”

I have asked him to see what papers he is being given on Thursday and how he was selected from a host of candidates (three people affected) and how they chose him.

Using a redundancy pay calculator he would get just over £14 K plus PILON for three months to make around 20K.

They have notified him of three alternative jobs available, one would be a labourer in his own department. Looking at the alternatives they are all not suitable for him.

But I think he needs to find out how they chose him, i.e their selection process.

Sure it is nice to get a redundancy pay out, but if you planned to continue to work then the payment he is about to receive is less than a year's wage, plus he is loosing private medical healthcare and life insurance.

So need to see if he was fairly selected or not

the company should make it clear what criteia are being used to determine both redundancy and how potential candidates are selected for redundancy/redeployment. As only 3 employees affected their task is less onerous but your hubby should ask for letters rather than accepting verbal threats. If the company cannot show that his post is truly redundant for one of the legal reasons then he will have a case for claiming unfair dismissal. Again, it the company picks him because he wont sign a new contract or work for free or because he is the oldest and near to retirement then that will be unfair dismissal and possibly age discrimination.

Does he want to continue working past normal retirement age at the same position?

If they arent going to budge from what you said about the sole redundancy then you have to consider whether it is better to take the £14k and have no fight or to refuse and take on abattle that will last for a couple of years and cost you money in the short term. You need to speak to an employment law solicitor to determine what the likely outcome of winning a claim against the employer is as it often can be a pyrrhic victory.

My gut feeling is the other two guys accepted the change of contract and my partner was refusing to do so. So rather than forcing him to accept the change through dismissal and re-applying for the role with a new contract which may have led to a case of unfair dismissal they are going down the road of redundancy instead.

There was no talk of redundancies in the company until Monday when he was called into a meeting. Three people were in the pool and he was picked within 24 hours. He will only be given the selection criteria sheet tomorrow though. It is not a small company but a large international organisation and he is the only redundancy.

I told him to scrutinize the score sheet, the criteria and also compare with his last appraisal if needed.

We had a look on the internet yesterday for employment law solicitors in the area which offer an initial free consultation as I think he should get some advice on this.

That doesn't sound like a proper consultation to me. Lack of consultation before deciding to push forward with redundancy turns it into unfair dismissal. The significance of unfair dismissal rather than redundancy is that you would get compensation for all losses flowing from the dismissal, not just a fixed payment calculated according to a formula.

Do remember that people don't get made redundant. Only jobs/roles get made redundant. If the role he is doing is not being made redundant, for example if the employer runs off and immediately hires someone else to do the same job under the new contract, that would not be a true redundancy and would instead be treated as unfair dismissal. At the meeting he should ask whether the company plans to hire a replacement for his role.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The party line is that the other two guys will be sharing his position. To clarify : there are three of them : two guys in Logistics and a Warehouse Supervisor. My partner is one of the Logistics guys. So when he drops out the Warehouse Supervisor and second Logistics guy will share his role in addition to their own (the two who have agreed to do unpaid overtime).

Although the Warehouse Supervisor really hasn't got anything to do with Logistics, but apparently he will now do part of my partner's role in addition to his own.

But there was no talk of redundancies before this, it suddenly emerged when my partner refused to have his contract changed.

I wonder whether they think they can justify the redundancy route more effectively in case of a claim than the other way.

It all seems very suspect to me.

To answer one of the queries in an earlier post, yes, he did intend to continue to work after his 65th birthday and certain financial plans and commitments were made on that assumption

Then you need to get all of the information about the change procedure, how your hubby was selected and other data regarding redundancy. A copy of the accounts for the last financial year can be had from Companies House (if employer a PLC then you can just ask for them) and that will tell you if redundancy for financial reasons is on the cards. It is clear that the job itself is not redundant but changes to someone else's job description to include parts of this job is allowable but all candidate should have a fair crack of the whip.

It does look like there is a pretty good case for claiming unfair dismissal. The company will resist a claim on age discrimination by just claiming that they did just screw up and admit unfair procedural errors but get out of a (expensive) discrimination claim by admitting the lesser breach. You will need to be able to show an employment tribunal that you did have commitments to work beyond the normal retirement date and the pension scheme rules should also allow it as well (most do) so there is no argument abiout it not being justfied to dismiss at 65 (again, rarely is).

Also be clear what you expect from all of this. If you ahvent suffered financially as a result then there will be little to gain as the payout will be only a few weeks pay. The tribunal can order reinstatement but usually that is resisted so you need to calculate how much money you will nedd to put you in the position you would be in had he stayed in post for x years. You will have to subtract pension income, savings on NI contributions etc so get your figure right otherwise your claim will be challeneged and appealed and that will mean delay if nothing else.

When you have the required paperwork and info you will need to speak to an employment law solicitor. If hubby in a union they will have one

Quick update.

First consultation meeting was today, he was handed his redundancy calculation and a copy of his assessment score sheet and alternative jobs were discussed (which were not really suitable due to status , skills and experience)

On his assessment score he was surprisingly marked down on criteria he was praised for in his last appraisal / review.

On his redundancy calculation sheet they put down 1 month PILON (pay in lieu of notice) but I am pretty sure due to his length of service that should be 12 weeks (3 months) , he has worked there for almost 25 years (his 25th anniversary would have been next week)

They also told him he isn't required anymore so he doesn't have to return to work and will only have to attend the consultation meetings. They said it will be paid, but he has holiday left to take anyway, so not sure if they just letting him use up his leave or have suspended him on full pay.

He had a member of the works council with him who had a brief discussion with him after the meeting and he felt the whole matter smelled of age discrimination and he should try and negotiate a bigger pay out.

Interestingly enough when the big round of redundancies was carried out previously (there were not supposed to be anymore than those) they picked a disabled member of staff for redundancy out of a group of four people. Three not disabled. The disabled (MS sufferer) was chosen. Allegedly fairly. He also lost his life insurance, private healthcare etc and is still unemployed (he is only in his 40s). Due to his illness it is not possible for him to replace any of that. However, rumour has it that he received a little 'bonus' on top of his redundancy pay-out to avoid the possibility of legal action. The same member of the works council who accompanied my partner today also at the time accompanied the disabled member of staff.

So maybe that is why the suggestion to try and negotiate.

Next meeting is tomorrow morning.

They are reviewing the PILON payment and will get back to him on that tomorrow.

On his redundancy calculation sheet they put down 1 month PILON (pay in lieu of notice) but I am pretty sure due to his length of service that should be 12 weeks (3 months)

This is correct. His notice period is 12 weeks, assuming there is no longer period specified in his contract. He can point them towards http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/18/section/86 which is self-explanatory.

Second meeting was this morning.

They admitted they got the PILON wrong and it should be 12 weeks, so they have changed that.

They have given him job details again for factory and shop floor jobs at minimum wage which are not suitable due to status and pay.

Apparently one of the directors who was present kept getting up and leaving to discuss matters with the Finance Director.

After the second time he said the company was prepared to make the PILON payment tax free and add another £1000.- to the pay out if my partner agrees to waive his right to an appeal. They would call that aspect a severance pay. And they tried to pressure him into agreeing to it there and then.

My partner declined and said he has to think that over, so next meeting is now next Tuesday. They wanted it Monday but my partner said he couldn't make Monday as he had an appointment he couldn't cancel. (he is having is car serviced but didn't tell them that). So they postponed the meeting and came back offering him another £1000.- if he waived his rights to an appeal and accepted it there and then.

Again he declined and said he need to consider his options , so they agreed to next Tuesday 8 AM now.

I have said he should contact a solicitor now and get some advice on all of this.

I think that is absolutely the correct strategy. He shouldn't feel pressured into signing anything 'there and then'.

If he had signed 'there and then' it wouldn't have been legally binding anyway. In order to have a valid settlement agreement, the employee must have received independent advice from a solicitor on the effect of that settlement (see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/18/section/203). It would be reasonable to say that he wants a solicitor to look over the settlement agreement and wants the company to pay for that.

If he accepts the severance then he waives his right to take the matter to a tribunal (they always have a clause in them to say that this is a settlemt for any future claim) so it was wise to say that he would consider it. Do take the legal advice before saying yes or no to any other offer.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, just to close this thread and report on last developments.

After consulting with a solicitor my partner managed to negotiate a 25K tax free severance / redundancy pay out which is to be paid tomorrow via BACS.

His pension will start in September, so not entirely happy about it all but best that could be achieved under the circumstances.

Solicitor advised that he would be happy to take on his case but couldn´t promise to win it as in employment tribunal it apparently always depends on the judges on the day.

You can loose a clear case or surprisingly win a shaky case. No guarantees at all so he recommended to negotiate a higher pay out, as he thought the company would have had similar advice from their legal council (i.e. no gurantee to win this case)

In the end they met at 25K tax free.

well, that is better than a poke in the eye and will allow you a year to consider what your options are for the long run. I think I would be looking at using the talents of a lifetime to do something worthwhile which paid a wage but not necessarily the same level as before. You will have the pension income plus OAP to live on and depending on pension scheme another cash lump sum to go with the £25k so that will clear a lot of a mortgage etc.