• Tweets

• Hi Lolerz Thanks for replying to me, yes I've been ignoring her & will continue to do so. All she keeps saying is they want to come up with an amicable settlement. Keeps saying this to our receptionist she shouldn't be saying this to a receptionist or even me in the first place as they have given no proof of anything no IP addresses noting just keeps saying about an amicable settlement.
    • If a DCA supplies a reconstituted copy of the CCA what would be the next step? It seems that a reconstituted copy must be a " true copy " of the executed agreement, it must contain the Prescribed Terms. But given that there is no copy of the applicants signature surely it could be an agreement form with the details filled in. How can it be assumed that this " copy " represents a true copy that the claimant has supposed to have signed. Cabot have demonstrated a bit of sabre rattling when they say "Until we're able to provide this information , your account is unenforceable. This means we're not permitted to obtain a County Court judgement against you . Whilst we cannot pursue legal action, your balance remains outstanding ". I looked up a case... Cabot UK Ltd  v  Bachellier (2010) which might help, but it's tough reading, I'd prefer to plough through War and Peace. This particular case with Cabot is not huge , approx' £140, but the only other worry that I have is also with Cabot...£2100. They may try to make a point with lesser case.
    • you'll never find a court open on a w/end MB. all courts are closed Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday. However as Andy points out, that does NOT mean you get 2 extra days to file, you get one, same as xmas/new Year. UKPC have not filed their, so no rush on yours as dave says.  
    • Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed some of the worst tendencies in British politics”. “The only way to think about it is as a psychodrama enacted, for the most part, by a small group of middle-aged men who went to élite private schools, studied at the University of Oxford, and have been climbing and chucking one another off the ladder of British public life" Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed...  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Smile trying to apply unfair charges

mrbrooks
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3179 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I have a question for you...

A few days ago, on the 31st Dec, I made a purchase with my smile debit card, for £10.00, the transaction was of course accepted and on my way I went.

Then on the 2nd Jan Smile charged me the monthly fee of £13.00 for my smile more account, again which is fine.

On the 3rd Dec, the £10.00 from the first transaction shows up, Smile informed me they had paid this despite me not having enough funds to pay for this transaction, and puts me £9.08 over my OD limit.

I then paid in £35 at around midday on the 3rd Jan(The same day as the payment was listed as being taken) to bring my account back into limit with a little to spare. I have also transferred another £25 today so my account is now well within the limit.

Smile are now saying that I am going to be charged £20.00 for the indiscretion, but i fail to see how they can do this, it is unfair in my view as the first transaction in my view was 'paid' at the point of purchase, I base this on the fact it was accepted at POS by the bank, and the last physical payment was actually to themselves for the subscription charge. I of course accept this may not be correct but that's how I feel about it just now.

More importantly though, the account was back in limit the very same day before their close of business and therefore I fail to see how they can apply any charge as they have not actually lost anything, nor have they been caused any additional work that actually costs them £20.00. I see this charge as excessive and is more a penalty charge than a charge to recover any loss suffered by Smile.

I believe this is rather unfair and would like CAG members to throw me some opinions and thoughts on what they think and how to go about dealing with this.

Thanks in advance ...

mrbrooks

As long as the charges have been applied in line with the terms and conditions which you agreed to then I don't think you can say it's unfair. After all you agreed to it and it does work the same way for everybody else.

The fact is you went beyond your overdraft limit. Why shouldn't you pay the fee you agreed to?

For your info, you can find the account t+c and the charges booket on their website: http://www.smile.co.uk/currentaccounts/smilemore-current-account#documents

Hi CagBmn, thanks for the reply, I agree that the bank deserve compensating IF they have suffered a loss, but this is not so, they have suffered no loss, neither have they been caused additional work as the message is entirely automated, they ended the day no worse off than when they started it, as far as I can see...

Still I suppose you are right, I agreed to the T+C so I suppose they can lawfully do whatever they wan to us and we should not argue back,simply because we agreed to it. Whether it is fair or not.

I will probably pay it and just keep a closer eye on matters in the future...

mrbrooks

Actually various terms and conditions can be considered unfair and unenforceable, regardless of if you agreed to them or not. It all depends on what the terms actually state, and without knowing the exact wording, we cant really advise better.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi renegadeimp, thanks for the reply,

Actually various terms and conditions can be considered unfair and unenforceable, regardless of if you agreed to them or not. It all depends on what the terms actually state, and without knowing the exact wording, we cant really advise better.

Aye that's what I think too...And I do feel it is unfair...

mrbrooks

Should've added that what I posted was just my opinion. Even if it wasn't for long you did technically borrow from them, does that count as a loss?

Others here will have an understanding of the legal side.

For clarity here are the links to the terms and conditions and banking charges documents.

Terms & conditions: http://www.smile.co.uk/assets/pdf/smile/currentaccounts/smilecurrentaccount/terms-and-conditions.pdf

Charges guide (from page 23): http://www.smile.co.uk/assets/pdf/smile/currentaccounts/smilemorecurrentaccount/benefits.pdf#page=23

I did come across something in their charges guide though:

"If you maintain your account in credit (or within any agreed overdraft limit) for a year then we won’t charge you if you then request an informal overdraft, providing that your account is returned to credit

(or inside an agreed overdraft limit) within six working days."

Any chance this applies to you? Could be worth a phone call

Hi CagBmn, thanks for the heads up, Yes applies to me i think, I have not been outside my OD, and the account was brought within credit the same day. I did not however request an informal OD, the bank simply paid the £9.08

I also read something in the section about refusing payments that said cleared funds should be in the account before 12pm on the day of payment, I think I was just outside this time frame.

I have other bank accounts, Barclays for example and my GF has an account in NatWest where both banks in this same situation have waived any charges because the account was brought into line before the close of business. I suppose this is the bank showing some goodwill and sense...which of course I appreciate...

Anyway thanks again for the input...

mrbrooks

Edited by mrbrooks

Even if it wasn't for long you did technically borrow from them, does that count as a loss?

No I do not believe it does, because they were reimbursed before the loss actually occurred...unless I suppose they measure their loss hour by hour, which I guess is possible...

Still like I say, I suppose the best plan is to ask for some leniency and pay up if required and make sure I keep an eye on it in the future...

mrbrooks...

Hey everyone, just a quick update, I have spoken to Smile today and they have agreed to waive the charge!!! The payment I made was just outside their 12 o clock cutoff but they agreed to waive the charge as a goodwill gesture, I pointed out that I would be happy to reimburse their loss if they could provide a breakdown of their actual costs leading to their losses...

Anyway, the chap I spoke to in the end was very nice, was very pleasant and very helpful...

Good result...

Thanks all at CAG and thanks to Smile for playing fair...

mrbrooks

Ahh the good old goodwill gesture. basically they know they messed up but dont want to admit it and have tried to make it look like they were doing you a favour.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi renegadeimp, thanks for the reply...

Yeah the old 'goodwill gesture', for which I am thankful, as I did not really want to argue with them, but like I say, and I pointed out to them in secure message and on the telephone, I am more than willing to re-imburse their loss for said transgression upon production of a breakdown of costs leading to said loss...

Anyway, whatever they wish to name it, I am just happy to have the matter dealt with...

best wishes

mrbrooks

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone, I was just wanting to get some thoughts/advice on something re a smile account.

I had a smile more account back in 2010-2014 (early 2014 when I moved to another bank).

The other day, I received a letter...see attached...

I have called the Co-op PPI Claims folks to address a number of concerns...

1. I have made no complaint, nor request for a review.
  2. I DID have an account and though the number of the account on the letter is the one I used to have, and the name and address are correct, and I did have an OD, I was not 64/65 on the date shown.
  3. I am in fact only 45 and would have been 40/41 in 2010/11 at the time of the sated shown, again not 64/65.
  4. I do not at any stage recall having or requesting OPI on my account as the OD was 250-500 and I paid up the OD in 2013/14 and never used it again, followed by the closure of my account in 2014.
  5. I do not recall cancelling OPI, having never recalled having it in the first place.
  6. With all of this in mind, is this cheque still valid/genuine?

The answers were...

1. It was done automatically as part of their 'reviews'
  2. Though I no longer have an account the review covered all accounts active at this time. They accept neither was I 64/65 at the time nor am I 68/69 now. They agree from my listed DOB that I am the age I claim.
  3. This is a mistake on their part and should never have been in the letter, more apologies.
  4. He was rather quiet on this, but did say on some accounts it was ‘standard’ whatever this means? To apply it. I was a little bothered by the fact it has taken them since 2010/11 to address this issue if this is in fact the case.
  5. Ooh really, then how does on go about cancelling something they have no knowledge of?
  6. After discussing the matter with the case handler (yeah I thought it sounded like something off CSI) he confirms that the age things is incorrect, a misprint, and that the cheque is definitely for me, I definitely had OPI on that period of time (he tells me it was sold to me (and this I didn’t quite understand) AFTER the bank stopped selling PPI on their products??? WTF???...Anyway he ends with, so MR XXXXX you can cash the cheque as is your choice, I can confirm it is valid and genuine and we will send out another letter with the correct wording in due course.

I am sitting here thinking, well that’s nice for me, a £40 bonus I had not been expecting,

a couple of beers and wines and pizzas for me and the missus

and a bit of fish for the cats, lovely and change left over for lottery ticket…

But then, my brain says hold on here a minute buddy, is this right,

how do you know they only owe you £40,

you don’t know anything about this,

they could have just plucked this number out the air hoping you won’t ask any questions,

they never asked you anything, they just sent a cheque, why would they do this…you get the idea…

Which leads me here…

I am wondering still, should I look into this more?

What are the chances they owe me more?

I don’t believe they would owe me less of course,

but I assume if I cash this cheque,

this is as good me saying, yeah

I agree with you,

£40 is all you owe me and I won’t ask for more.

When is the 8% interest supposed to take from? Sound like a paltry amount to me for 4 years of them sitting on my £30…and to be fair, the figure may well be correct, but I just figure I should maybe ask a few folks in the know before jumping in and ordering a meat feast and a 6 pack of Carling...

So really what I am asking you all is this, is this worth pursuing, saying, hey Co-Op I don’t want this £40 right now, but I want more info? How do I figure out how much they should owe me? IS the number they have given me £40 is quid correct based on the £30 OPI they say I paid?

Thoughts and advice on this would be most appreciated…

Thanks all…

mrbrooks

you need all the statements

sar them.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

DX thanks for the response...

do you reckon they are holding back?

Or You just reckon its worth finding out what they know before cashing any cheques?

Like I said in previous post, I had no idea about this,

the cheque just turned Friday and I thought about it over the weekend,

called Smile/Co-Op Monday and here I am..

.I find a bit odd that there was no questionnaires,

no contact

no nothing about the situation prior to its arrival,

but then maybe that's how things are done these days???

Now if i write to them to tell them I am at this time not going to accept their offer of this 'out of blue' cheque,

do you recommend any template for such a response?

I have the SAR template, but I am addressing to things here now,

1 I am not accepting this cheque as a settlement at this time and am considering my options.

2 I am presenting a SAR.

Now in relation to item 1,

The cheque,

Do I send it back?

Keep it?

Tear it up?

Cash it?

Copy it and file it? ..

. Also, am I putting myself in an awkward spot by not accepting it?

Can they refuse to play ball if I discover in fact that they have been fair

and I have already refused their offer?

Where does not accepting the cheque at this point leave me, other than without pizza and beer?

In relation to item 2, I have a SAR template so this is ok, I will fill that out and send it off ASAP...

Thanks again

mrbrooks

***EDIT***

I am having a bit of a struggle finding an address to SAR them that is not a PO Box, if we send to PO Box don't we have issues with Signed For Mail???

Edited by mrbrooks
Co-op/Smile Address

there nowt wrong with cashing the cheque

there nowt on the letter that states by accepting it

that seals a full & final settlement.

you nor they nor I can check its correct without seeing the data they used to calculate the redress.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx, thanks for reply.

there nowt wrong with cashing the cheque
- Agreed

there nowt on the letter that states by accepting it that seals a full & final settlement.
- Agreed

I am gonna cash it...

You nor they nor I can check its correct without seeing the data they used to calculate the redress.
- Agreed

I have done the SAR, and since I have not banked with Smile for more than a year now I have included proof of my ID using my Business CC statements for June 2015 and my phone and internet bill for June 2015...

My only concern is that I would (As advised in the past) send the SAR as Signed For Delivery ... However I can only seem to find PO Box numbers for Co-operative, which poses a problem with Signed delivery...

The address currently on the letter is:

Subject Access Request Team,

PO Box 200,

Skelmersdale

WN8 6GH

Once I figure out if its OK to send without Signed For or get another non POBox address then I will fire it off as soon as...

Another note, it says on the website for smile, send a cheque, say nothing about a Postal Order, I assume its OK still to send a PO?

Thanks again...

mrbrooks

ballon street

manachester

M60 4EP

you don't need recorded nowadays

use free proof of posting from the PO counter

and they