Foreign Person(Alleged for Shop Lifting in Debenhams)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3215 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

3 days ago I were detained for "an offence of theft".

I left the store (a Debenhams) with a small perfume bottle + watch in my pocket.

I'know that i have done a big mistake in my life I can't deny.

2 men along with a security officer was outside and brought me inside a small room

.They took the products back and they threatened me of calling police and finally they asked my ID (I'm not english, I'm from another country in EU), asked me for proof of identification

,I gave my DL and they took my EU address and asked me to sign the papers.I said them a correct address

. They didn't call the police and they told me that i am banned from the entire shopping mall as well as they gave me a banned letter along with a RLP copy.

Finally they told me that i wil be receiving a letter from RLP within a week.

I have no excuses for what I did but I'm worried and I don't want to destroy my life in UK.

So, I have many questions:

1) Will they give my details to police?

2) Will be leaving to my country,next week --> Will there be any detention in airport ?

3) Since i am for a short visit to UK,Would I have any problems to return in UK in the future(Related to VISA and UK on arrival verification)?

4) could I have any problems with a job?

5) the value was around £108 thats what they had mentioned,

how much could be the fine?

if it isn't too much I could pay and close the case (so I punish myself for what I did)

Please help me on this,

Since I am really tensed and

Please let me know about RLP(Since they have taken the product back,Will they impose a hefty fine and will they put me in jail ??)

Hi and welcome to CAG

You have found the right place and the right advice however, if you are under 18 we may need to advise differently.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Now that I am fed and watered I can fully respond.

As you are from a country wuthin the EU, there shouldn't be any issues of you leaving and coming back (well not until the UK votes to leave the EU) If you need a visa to come back to the UK, this will not affect that as you have not been convicted of a criminal offence.

The police were not called and now the security staff OR Debenhams have lost that opportunity so nothing to worry about there.

What can RLP do? Nothing. All they can do is send the scary letters which have no meaning whatsoever, they rely on your ignorance of UK civil law to make you believe that they have a case. They don't

After a few less scary letters (as you will now know that they can do nothing) they will pass this 'liability' (they don't say debt as there isn't one) onto their pet debt collector.

What can the debt collector do. Nothing! In fact they have even less power than RLP

Will it affect your job? No! RLP say they will keep your details on a dishonesty database but as you haven't been convicted of a crime, they would cause themselves immense difficulty in disclosing personal info to any employer. Also, they cannot disclose anything without your express written permission. you are not going to give them it are you.

This NOT a fine nor will it ever be. This is a civil demand for compensation which they cannot justify. I suggest you do not bother with RLP at all. Don't even bother writing to them or ringing them.

Treat them with the contempt they deserve. Please have a read of other RLP threads to see what they can and cannot do.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Thanks Silverfox, On your assurance I am believing that nothing is going to happen when i fly back to my country as well i need small info suppose if i need to visit this country once again,RLP doesnot affect me in getting my VISA nor it will detain me suppose if i get VISA and reach this country once again.I think that no civil record will be lodged against me

I am sorry for asking this again since it is bugging my mind from past three days,I have been in immense distress for what i have done

Totally forget it ever happened.

The police were not and now cannot be. Involved

So end of the matter

Rlp dca.s etc etc have no legal powers to do anything

Only a court can do any of those things

Go get on with your life

And don't ssteal again...

Please

DX

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

There are a couple of threads within the RLP forum where people were worried about the visa aspect.

This is one where the OP didn't update us

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?442113-Caught-shoplifting-now-require-a-visa-will-there-be-a-problem

and this one which was updated.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?430028-shoplifter-TXMAX-visa**Got-a-Visa**&highlight=got+visa

Again, as the police were not involved, there will be nothing on any criminal database which the Border Patrol have access to.

The ONLY database where this will be stored is on RLPs own which the authorities have no access to.

As mentioned by DX (who also knows what he is talking about) forget this episode, learn from your choices and move on. When you get the letters, please come back as I'm sure they will worry you. DON'T WORRY. The letters are threats, nothing more.

The ONLY people who could take court action are Debenhams and to be honest, they got the goods back so they can't be bothered.