Small Claims for a company in Scotland

QNAZ
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3226 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Could someone please tell me which small claims court I would need to use.

We sent our BMW Engine block to be remanufactured by a company called 1st choice engineering Ltd.

Now I live in West Yorkshire and the company is based in Scotland.

They are refusing to take my credit card as payment and demanding we pay via bank transfer.

This was not made clear at the start of the contract and no terms were given to sign.

So which courts would I issue a small claim through England or Scotland?

One more thing... a new engine block would cost me around £3000 from BMW were as the remanufacturing of the old engine block was £1300

(which 1st choice engineering Ltd still have and will not release without payment),

do I claim for the cost of new.

Any help would be great.

Probably the Sheriff Court for the Sheriffdom in which the company are located. Google the Scottish Courts service for more information on that, as well as how to process your claim.

I'm intrigued however as to what you are claiming - small claims are intended for you to recover money that you are owed, or losses that you have incurred. It doesn't strike me that either applies in this case and it looks more like a dispute over contract conditions. Any company has the absolute right to refuse payment by credit card unless they have previously contracted with you to permit it, and by your own admission they did not. The only payment they are not allowed by law to refuse is one made in Legal Tender and so I'd suggest that them asking for payment by Bank Transfer would be upheld in court. Is the simple, and probably less expensive solution, not to get a bank loan at a lower interest (10%?) rate than your card will charge (at least 18%) and then transfer the money as asked for.,

As the work has been completed...they have fulfilled their obligations on contract...the payment issue is your problem....not the Courts.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Interesting. It could be argued that displaying these symbols informs the purchaser that they do indeed accept payment by MasterCard and that that is therefore a contract condition which 1st Choice Engineering have breeched. On the other hand.........it could be a good earner for their defence lawyer and a big bill for the plaintiff if he takes it to court and loses.