Toyota 5 Year Warranty Farce clutch Flywheel Fault

Mr-Pieman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3193 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

my dad recently had a problem with his Toyota Urban Cruiser 4WD Diesel. The vehicle is four years old has been serviced all its life (He bought it from new) at a Toyota garage. The vehicle has only done just over 20K

He has recently had problems getting the vehicle into gear so he took it to our local Wolverhampton Toyota Dealer Charles Clark Toyota. They diagnosed the problem to be the clutch. They quoted £1000 to replace the clutch (Original) or approx £800 for a none Toyota one I find this rather odd a Toyota dealer offering none Toyota parts. The clutch on the vehicle was previously replaced at about 10K due to a major problem with the vehicle apparently Toyota only cover the clutches for 2 year so my Dad had only done 10k miles on this one. This one was just over the 2 year mark.

My dad mentioned that he was getting a bit tired of the vehicle to which the dealer suddenly stated that a Hybrid would be a good idea as no clutch. My Dad and myself find this attitude rather bad basically it was your car is buggered tell you what we can sell you a new Priusfor £22K. They introduced him to the sales manager gave some story about how parents have them and love them etc. To cut a long story short my Dad left it and contacted A1 Clutches in Wolverhampton.

When he took it to A1 Clutches the said that it might be the clutch but it could be the flywheel this part would have been covered under the Toyota warranty. Unfortunately my dad went ahead with the repair and it did turn out to be the flywheel. He contacted Charles Clark who were basically not interested they said that they needed to do the work and replace it with a proper Toyota part apparently A1 did replace it with a clutch from the same manufacturer. They stated that the teeth were worn on the fly wheel. He went to A1 as they quoted £650 for the clutch. The repair has now cost him over £1k.

My Dad has trouble walking a heart condition and is undergoing treatment for cancer at the moment his vehicle is absolutely vital to get him to the hospital hence his haste at getting the vehicle sorted out.

I find Charles Clark Wolverhampton attitude to be disgusting, the vehicle obviously had serious design/manufacturing faults a clutch does not fail after 10k and a fly wheel after 20k. The vehicle has a dual Mass flywheel which causes real issues I believe.

How can a Toyota dealer offer none Toyota parts on a vehicle that is still under a Toyota Warranty also??? There attitude by trying to wash their hands of the problem and sell my dad another vehicle is also very bad.

Should we contact Toyota and state our displeasure with the dealer or just go for the dealer with the sale of good act?

Thanks

Hi Conniff,

that's absolutely correct. I would have hoped that an official Toyota dealer would know the difference between a clutch failure and the dual mass flywheel failing. Considering that the clutch was replaced 10k previously its not a great leap of logic to assume it was the flywheel.

I just contacted Charles Clark Toyota apparently the clutch and flywheel were replaced on the vehicle in July 2012. This certainly indicates that the system has historic problems.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

the letters are now ready to send to the Manager of the dealer and the CEO.

Out of interest I contacted another Toyota dealer requesting a price for a clutch replacement they quoted £700 nearly £400 less than Charles Clark. Needless to say this is another complaint that will be going in the letter. They really did try to take advantage of my Dad in this matter.

I will update as I find out anything.

Thanks

To keep this thread up to date.

I emailed Toyota GB directly they are unable to send me the CEO's email address I have since found out that Matt Harrison is no longer the CEO of Toyota GB.

I did however receive a response from Charles Clark Wolverhampton and I received an email address of their General Sales Manager. He actually phoned me on the way home and I briefly outlined the issues I also sent him my letter outlining the problems in detail.

Well that was a week ago I have received no reply to my email and no reply to my follow up yesterday. I'm going to email them again today. Then I'm contacting both parties by written letter (Toyota GB and Charles Clark).

I'm completely appalled by the conduct of this dealer.

Can anyone furnish me with the new CEO's email address? As I said Toyota GB stated "it was not possible to obtain an email address for the CEO of Toyota".

Thanks

As an aside, you could drop a line marked personal to

Akio Toyoda

Head Office

1 Toyota-Cho,

Toyota City,

Aichi Prefecture 471-8571,

Japan

He is the biggest of the big bosses and though you probably won't get a reply, it will let him know how his company is operating in the rest of the world.

Thanks Conniff,

It would definitely be worth sending Mr Toyoda a letter. I have previously owned Honda's and the level of quality was exemplary. I really didn't expect this complete lack of support from such a high profile Japanese company. Especially one that has been trying to repair its image in the media. Obviously the UK arm has some serious issues.

As you say I would hope that contacting the head of Toyota would certainly give the UK franchise a good kicking.

Thanks again

I finally got a response from the garage they basically said that the bite point was high indicating it was the clutch and that they would have do do further investigation work.

This is incorrect my Dad was told it was definitely the clutch and it would be £1100 they never mentioned any investigation work. They also said that they quoted him £800 this was for the none Toyota clutch they initially told him it was £1100.

They said that he should have bought the vehicle back after the fault was diagnosed with the flywheel this would have been impossible the vehicle was in bits probably with the gearbox out.

They have basically said they can help no further as the vehicle has been repaired by a none Toyota dealer and they cannot put forward a warranty claim.

I have emailed them back asking if 2 flywheels in 4 years and 20k miles is normal? I have also quoted SOGA with regards to quality and durability clearly there is a major problem here.

Thanks

I just received a phone call from Toyota I explained the problem.

I believe the main points are as follows

1. The vehicle was not fit for purpose and not of sufficient quality especially in reference to durability.

2. Charles Clark Toyota misdiagnosed the fault and over-quoted for the work to be done resulting in a free warranty repair turning into £1200.

Toyota GB have said they will re contact Charles Clark and get them to phone me. They say as the repair was done by a none Toyota garage there is little they can do.

It certainly looking like a small claims court case to me. Out of interest would you go for the full invoice cost or part of it?

thanks all