• Tweets

• Hi Lolerz Thanks for replying to me, yes I've been ignoring her & will continue to do so. All she keeps saying is they want to come up with an amicable settlement. Keeps saying this to our receptionist she shouldn't be saying this to a receptionist or even me in the first place as they have given no proof of anything no IP addresses noting just keeps saying about an amicable settlement.
    • If a DCA supplies a reconstituted copy of the CCA what would be the next step? It seems that a reconstituted copy must be a " true copy " of the executed agreement, it must contain the Prescribed Terms. But given that there is no copy of the applicants signature surely it could be an agreement form with the details filled in. How can it be assumed that this " copy " represents a true copy that the claimant has supposed to have signed. Cabot have demonstrated a bit of sabre rattling when they say "Until we're able to provide this information , your account is unenforceable. This means we're not permitted to obtain a County Court judgement against you . Whilst we cannot pursue legal action, your balance remains outstanding ". I looked up a case... Cabot UK Ltd  v  Bachellier (2010) which might help, but it's tough reading, I'd prefer to plough through War and Peace. This particular case with Cabot is not huge , approx' £140, but the only other worry that I have is also with Cabot...£2100. They may try to make a point with lesser case.
    • you'll never find a court open on a w/end MB. all courts are closed Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday. However as Andy points out, that does NOT mean you get 2 extra days to file, you get one, same as xmas/new Year. UKPC have not filed their, so no rush on yours as dave says.  
    • Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed some of the worst tendencies in British politics”. “The only way to think about it is as a psychodrama enacted, for the most part, by a small group of middle-aged men who went to élite private schools, studied at the University of Oxford, and have been climbing and chucking one another off the ladder of British public life" Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed...  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Should we leave the EU..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3187 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bigger the fool that does vote to leave, we voted in years ago, those not around in those days do not know how behind times this country was, the difference now to them is so far ahead, jobs abroad in those days were hard to get, movement between countries expensive and time consuming for correct papers, in fact holidays were a luxury for the few could go on and on and on, benefits out way disadvantages.

Not only that the so called markets we had then albeit limited have all gone to other pastures.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Could we not trade with Europe without having to be part of a political union, which I don't recall being consulted about, wasn't the original idea about closer trade links. As far as human right are concerned, we could still hold on to the human rights act could we not ?

Arguments to remain in the eu on the basis of "so the tories cant scrap the HRA" are absurd.

1. HRA and EU membership are not mutually inclusive. U need the HRA to be an EU member, but you do not have to be an EU member to have the HRA

2. HRA is a separate entity to the EU we will be voting on

3. If the sole reason to stay in the EU is to stop our government removing rights, then surely the question is not "Should we stay in the EU" but more about "Why elect a government you do not trust with your fundamental rights"

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

The reason people want to leave the EU is because they see the UK as an Island separate from mainland Europe that has always traded with the world. The problem is that the world has changed and will change more rapidly in the next 10 years. When China catches an economic cold, the rest of the world feels it.

China has recently launched a major investment Bank and its currency is expected to become a reserve currency in the next year or so. What has this got to do with the EU? The EU is a massive trading block and is still important to the rest of the world. It is much easier to obtain agreements on trade, consumer protection etc as part of a 600 million people consumer market. Norway is not part of the EU, but they still find they have to implement EU rules, when they don't even have a seat at the table when things are discussed. China may well overtake the U.S. Economy and they will have huge influence on the UK. I don't think I would want the UK to have to deal with this alone and would want the UK to be part of a more powerful block of countries.

It would be madness to vote to leave the EU.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I agree with Unclebulgaria.

The anti EU brigade always seem to cite Norway and Switzerland as two countries that do well outside of the EU but fail to realise their economies are inextricably linked to the EU without having a seat at the top table. They simply have to grin and bear it when new EU policies are made and implemented. Besides which both countries have tiny populations compared to the UK and do not need to export on an industrial scale on behalf of non EU countries like Japan who only invested in the UK because of easy access to EU markets.

All those jobs plus all the other industries that survive on the coat tails of the likes of Nissan, Toyota and the like would go elsewhere. Countries like Slovakia would bend over backwards for some of that action. Those who hark back to the 'good old days' need to remember we no longer have an empire to dump our industrial output apon and countries like Canada, Australia, India have now developed their own economic blocs and certainly do not need to kow tow to us any more either politically or economically.

I have to admit, I am yet to be swayed either way.

I certainly wonder how much would desert the uk if we dropped the EU. We are a target market in our own right. Those that choose not to supply goods or services here could be replaced.

Also outside of the EU, would the UK not be more liberated to create its own incentives to encourage investment?

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I have to admit, I am yet to be swayed either way.

I certainly wonder how much would desert the uk if we dropped the EU. We are a target market in our own right. Those that choose not to supply goods or services here could be replaced.

Also outside of the EU, would the UK not be more liberated to create its own incentives to encourage investment?

Why take the risk ? Is the EU really that bad ? When you question politicians on what EU rules they would not have made, they don't come up with much. Yes you get a few silly things, but the UK does that for itself.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Yes,we voted for a common market, nothing else, the next push as back then,would then be for monetary union

never forget black wednesday 1992 a warning of what could happen

when you try to converge currencies and economies

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

My 2p

The UK joined the EEC in 1973 and then held a referendum on whether we should stay or leave. Obviously we stayed. The EEC was and still is a trading partner. We joined on that premise.

What we didn't sign up for was the political side of the EU. That was imposed upon the UK by the then Government and the EU. We didn't get a choice.

I don't like anyone telling me what I can or cannot do but I also give my allegiance to a country I was born in. Who gave the EU the right to decide what this country can or cannot do?

Since its inception, how many times have the accounts been signed off by the auditors. Not once to my knowledge. Corruption? Poor practice?

This might seem to many like naval gazing and you may be right but British laws for British people.

The HRA has been abused by those who commit crime and still wish to remain in this country. No doubt it is the same Europe wide. The biggest bug bear for me is asylum seekers. Nothing personal but as I understand the rules, an asylum seeker should claim asylum in the first safe country they reach. If that is the case, why are there so many people at Calais.

After saying all that, I'm one of the uncertain ones.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

My 2p

The UK joined the EEC in 1973 and then held a referendum on whether we should stay or leave. Obviously we stayed. The EEC was and still is a trading partner. We joined on that premise.

What we didn't sign up for was the political side of the EU. That was imposed upon the UK by the then Government and the EU. We didn't get a choice.

I don't like anyone telling me what I can or cannot do but I also give my allegiance to a country I was born in. Who gave the EU the right to decide what this country can or cannot do?

Since its inception, how many times have the accounts been signed off by the auditors. Not once to my knowledge. Corruption? Poor practice?

This might seem to many like naval gazing and you may be right but British laws for British people.

The HRA has been abused by those who commit crime and still wish to remain in this country. No doubt it is the same Europe wide. The biggest bug bear for me is asylum seekers. Nothing personal but as I understand the rules, an asylum seeker should claim asylum in the first safe country they reach. If that is the case, why are there so many people at Calais.

After saying all that, I'm one of the uncertain ones.

For those very reasons above, I will be voting to leave the EU.

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Citizen B wrote "The HRA has been abused by those who commit crime and still wish to remain in this country. No doubt it is the same Europe wide. The biggest bug bear for me is asylum seekers. Nothing personal but as I understand the rules, an asylum seeker should claim asylum in the first safe country they reach. If that is the case, why are there so many people at Calais."

Could we not have an asylum//EU citizen quota linked to land mass size? please?

Whatnot..

Citizen B wrote "The HRA has been abused by those who commit crime and still wish to remain in this country. No doubt it is the same Europe wide. The biggest bug bear for me is asylum seekers. Nothing personal but as I understand the rules, an asylum seeker should claim asylum in the first safe country they reach. If that is the case, why are there so many people at Calais."

Could we not have an asylum//EU citizen quota linked to land mass size? please?

Actually Citizen B quoted me.

Australia uses a points based system for genuine migrants but with asylum seekers, we have no idea whether what they are saying is true or that they are saying what Border feds want to hear. It has been rumoured that terrorists have started infiltrating other countries by pretending to be asylum seekers.

For the genuine refugees, I have great sympathy but this country cannot continue to support those without it affecting the structural deficit. The UKs streets are not paved with gold, neither is there enough houses or jobs for everyone to move here.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

We are seriously heading for trouble..

Correct. World human population will exceed 8 billion by 2025. There are parts of the world which are very tough to reside in e.g lack of food, water, adequate/affordable housing, lack of jobs or low paid jobs, plus increased crime, lack of security and climate issues.

Go back 10 years ago and people living in some parts of the world had a life they were reasonably happy with, but because of some of the issues mentioned they now want to move to a better life. With the Internet and media now viewable in most places around the world, people can see there is a better life to be enjoyed elsewhere.

Europe is not that populated in terms of land mass available and mainland European countries should be taking more people. If they had the English language perhaps more migrants would claim asylum in Greece, Italy or France. The UK as an Island has to excercise more control and we are doing so.

The next thing is big business saying they may close their production lines here then people will fear losing their jobs and livelihoods, then the big shift to a yes stay in. At the mo I can't see a no vote succeeding.

Despite being the EU-cashcow, UK has ALOT of "tax beneficial" resources in the EU which could go to waste if we were to leave. I'm not to sure if they would even be affected as we would more than likely retain EEC status.

When I first moved here from Holland, my firs job here was working at the docks driving cars on and off of the boats... Shockingly, Ford came from France and Peugeot came from UK! (great example of a tax effective transaction).

Not only that, but as Britain has evolved into a "Service Nation" over the years, the services we deploy around the EU are mission critical to the income of the UK.

Furthermore, I feel that being the "Capital State" of "the United States of Europe" as to put it, keeps us in the lead when it comes to general wealth. Becoming a loose cannon, and parting from the EU will deny that imperative status of being financially dominant.

As meagre as it may seem (dropping a few pence here and there on the international market), makes a big difference in how everyone sees the country. As much as people thing that the UK ministers are the "patsy's of the of other worlds" they infect, are ours.

Where do you think they all turn when a quake hits, when a tornado smacks through a few states, when diseases hit.

As much as I disagreed with the notion of us brining back ebola ridden people to the UK for treatment, we maintained a strong proud stance of being "that dependable country".

I think we should lead by example through the EU; If need be, force-resign officials of other countries and show them how it's done.

As much as MANY people won't like it, I personally think that Cameron is one of the best things that's happened to the financial economy since Churchill.

The UK is part of the current EU and should remain so, because it in our interest to do so. The City of London financial centre earns more being part of the EU. Wealthy people from across the EU live and conduct business in London.

Even Margaret Thatcher recognised how important the EU was to the UK, because it was her government that signed up to much of how the EU currently operates. John Majors government signed up to the Maastricht treaty taking it further, as did Tony Blairs government with the Lisbon treaty.

Those that are against the EU will mostly have always seen the UK as being separate from the European mainland and are not concerned with being isolated. In the world we are in, with all the challenges to be faced,we are much better placed to deal with them as part of a club of countries with a population of 600 million and the economic power this represents.

David Cameron is not going to take the UK out of the EU, even if he does not gain the changes he wants to see. The referendum campaign will be held in such a way that the Pro EU side will hold an advantage. The EU referendum bill will allow the government to publish pro EU information right up to Election Day. Cameron represents the business interests of the UK and wealthy, many of whom want the UK to remain part of the EU.

David Cameron is not going to take the UK out of the EU, even if he does not gain the changes he wants to see. The referendum campaign will be held in such a way that the Pro EU side will hold an advantage. The EU referendum bill will allow the government to publish pro EU information right up to Election Day. Cameron represents the business interests of the UK and wealthy, many of whom want the UK to remain part of the EU.

In my opinion, if the vote isn't rigged in any way, then I can only see the majority voting to leave. We would then renegotiate our economic membership and life would go on. As things stand, I would want out.

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

In order to join the EEC, we had to abandon free trade with a number of English-speaking democracies.

As we applied the Common External Tariff in stages in the 1970s, our commerce was artificially redirected towards the European mainland.

Glasgow, Liverpool and Bristol found themselves on the wrong side of the country, and went into decline.

The economic integration of the other Anglosphere states carried on without us. The United States and Canada now form a single market,

as do Australia and New Zealand.

The US and Australia signed a Free Trade agreement in 2005, and New Zealand is currently negotiating one.

Singapore’s 18 FTAs include treaties with the United States, Australia and New Zealand.

But Britain and Ireland are unable to join in: we gave away the right to sign bilateral free trade agreements on 1 January 1973.

The basis on which we made that decision turned out to be false.

Policy makers at the time supposed that there would be more economic growth in Europe than in the Anglosphere.

This was not an unreasonable thing to think at the beginning of the 1970s: Western Europe had handsomely outperformed both the

United States and the Commonwealth since 1945.

But things changed with the 1974 oil shock.

We can see, in retrospect, that we joined at the worst possible moment, just as Europe’s post-war surge, the Wirtschaftswunder,

was coming to an end, and just as the Commonwealth was taking off.

The Anglosphere has solidly outperformed the EU throughout the period of our membership. The eurozone contracted last year, and is contracting again this;

but, according to the IMF, the Commonwealth is growing at 7.3 per cent annually.

Yet we are now expected to be excited because the EU is talking to Canada about free trade?

We already had a free trade deal with Canada, for Heaven’s sake. We had to give it up so as to become good Europeans.

The EFTA countries, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland, have all negotiated FTAs with Ottawa. It’s the EU that has stood aside.

But for the EU, we would have signed a comprehensive bilateral trade deal with the United States decades ago.

We wouldn’t be hung up on all the things that have precluded such a deal: coal, steel, textiles, French films. We are a naturally free-trading people.

All of which makes anyones attempt to defend EU membership on grounds that it might one day give us free trade with North America bizarre.

It is EU membership that has precluded such trade.

This tendency led them into the folly of supporting the euro. Now, rather than having the modesty to ask why they got that call wrong, and why the ‘isolationist John Bulls’ got it right, they defends EU membership with precisely the same discredited arguments that he was deployed in support of the single currency.

The European question has never been primarily about economic advantage. Fair enough. For the rest of us, though, the balance of advantage is now unarguable.

Every continent is now growing except Antarctica and Europe. We have locked ourselves into the only trade bloc that is shrinking.