Lifestyle fitness - Harlands - CRS - Zinc Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3223 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I joined a lifestyle fitness gym in October 2014, my job moved (but not my home address) so I didn't want to go to that gym anymore. I cancelled the direct debit in December 2014 - without contacting them. I knew they wouldn't let me cancel so thought no point in contacting them.

I have since had a couple of letters from Harlands and CRS - the 'debt' now stands at £288.20. I know from research that they are all the same company. I have ignored every single letter... rightly or wrongly? I have never had a phonecall or an email chasing me?

Now I have received a letter saying the debt will be passed to Zinc Group in 10 days.

Just wondered if there was any advice on what to do next? Or just continue to ignore? I have been advised that these type of debt are not enforceable? Also, if the debt is enforceable, surely the 'debt' should somehow relate to the potential loss to the business etc?

Thanks in advance

How much was this a month?

When your circumstances changed, did that mean that your new job and going to the gym wasn't realistic?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

It was around £17.99 a month I think.

Well I quit my job under a bit of a cloud and it was right next-door to my work and my boss was a member. So yes, going to that gym was unrealistic for me. I didn't make any formal complaint about the job and manager though so I wouldn't be able to prove it.

Argh well , if you were in contract then technically you should pay what the contract was for...

BUT.... Not always the case. These companies threaten you all the time and it goes no where. We dont condone debt avoidance, but at the same time, it happens.

Would you want to go back? Maybe they could do you an offer to go back and remove everything. You never know...

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hi Rachy and welcome to CAG

Whether you are dealing with Harland/CRS or Zinc or their "solicitor" makes little difference. At worst, you owe for the gym fees but not Harlands/CRS silly admin charges.

Are the fees enforceable - only if a court claim is made against you, and won by the claimant.

Are Harlands (or their solicitor) likely to make such a court claim - very unlikely but not out of the question as evidenced by a current case against another CAG user. Particularly in a case like yours when you have failed act "reasonably".

You should have informed the gym or Harlands of your redundancy and/or work relocation. By ignoring them so far, you've made it more difficult and probably more costly but we'll help as best we can.

The situation with your ex-boss being a member at the same gym could well be significant.

Please confirm, when you left your job, how far was your home address from the gym.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi

I left the job at the end of October - probably about 3 - 4 weeks after joining the gym. (I realised I joined the gym end of Sept - not in October as I put in my original post)

My home address is 12 miles from the gym.

Thank you

Hi Rachy,

One further bit of info please - when you left your old job and started the new one, how far from the gym was the new workplace.

You have 2 choices :-

1. Continue to ignore Harlands, CRS, Zinc and Majorlaw solicitors and see what they do. I'm not sure how wise this is as it could result in court action even though that's a remote chance. Also, if they took such action, you could challenge it or pay the monthly fees (up to date) and avoid a CCJ.

2. Wrtie to Harlands saying :-

i) You joined the gym as it was close to your work and used it before/after work.

ii) When you left that job, using the gym was no longer tenable because it was too far to travel from home and/or the new job.

iii) Due to personal circumstances about leaving the last job, using the gym was not possible as your ex-boss continued to use the gym.

iv) When the DD mandate was cancelled, you should have paid one further fee and you offer to pay that now, to end the matter.

What concerns me is that, if you continue to ignore the letters etc, the monthly fees continue to mount right up to the end of the initial 12 months, ie September 2015.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)