• Tweets

• Hi I received a Parking Charge letter to keeper on Monday 15/04/24, the 17th day after the alleged incident. My understanding is that this is outside the window for notifying. The issue date was 08/04/2024 which should have been in good time for it to have arrived within the notice period but in fact it actually arrived at lunchtime on the 15th. Do I have to prove when it arrived  (and if so how can I do that?) or is the onus on them to prove it was delivered in time? All I can find is that delivery is assumed to be on the second working day after issue which would have been Weds 10//04/24 but it was actually delivered 5 days later than that (thank you Royal Mail!). My husband was present when it arrived - is a family member witness considered sufficient proof? 1 Date of the infringement  arr 28/03/24 21:00, dep 29/03/24 01.27 2 Date on the NTK  08/04/2024 (Date of Issue) 3 Date received Monday 15/04/24 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012?  Yes 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] No    Have you had a response?  n/a 7 Who is the parking company? GroupNexus 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Petrol Station Roadchef Tibshelf South DE55 5T 'operating in accordance with the BPA's Code of Practice'  
    • lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
    • Evening all,   So today, I was sent an updated offer that includes the £12.60 I spent on letters, but they have declined to add the interest at £7.40. They have stating 'We acknowledge your request to claim interest to date, however, this would be at the discretion of a trial judge if the claim did proceed to a trial hearing.' I think I am content with this outcome, and pushing this to a trial for a total interest of £15.30 throughout the claim does not make sense to me.   What are people's thoughts? I am sure our courts have better things to concentrate on?
    • FFRSG3424ListofEvidencepdf-V1 2-merged.pdfFFRSG3424ListofEvidencepdf-V1 2-merged.pdf 2pages T&C,s UCM
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Me v the council "test case"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2953 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This doesn't seem to have any bearing on the point you're making but just for the record, S.I 1994/505 (reg 5) amends regulation 33 of the 1992 Council Tax Regulations.

The amendment primarily clarifies the position regarding when a final notice need not be served if the debtor fails to pay any instalments due within seven days of the issue of a reminder notice.

Regulation 33 amended is as follows:

Liability orders: preliminary steps

33.—(1) Subject to paragraph (3), before a billing authority applies for a liability order it shall serve on the person against whom the application is to be made a notice (“final notice”), which is to state every amount in respect of which the authority is to make the application.

(2) A final notice may be served in respect of an amount at any time after it has become due.

(3) Nothing in paragraph (1) shall require the service of a final notice in the circumstances mentioned in paragraph (3) of regulation 23 (including that paragraph as applied as mentioned in regulation 28A(2)).

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I read the regulation below. The council sends out a final reminder that INCLUDES the costs reasonably to be incurred obtaining the liability order.

All the council has to do is include the costs amount (is to make the application) into the final demand saying this will be the amount if the original xxx amount is not paid within 7 days.

It appears that this is how the Newham final notice is laid out. I am unable to post a link as this is my first post here.

The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992

33.—(1) Subject to paragraph (3), before a billing authority applies for a liability order it shall serve on the person against whom the application is to be made a notice (“final notice”), which is to be in addition to any notice required to be served under Part V, and which is to state every amount in respect of which the authority is to make the application.

Until we get to the HC we wont know for sure.

33.—(1) Subject to paragraph (3), before a billing authority applies for a liability order it shall serve on the person against whom the application is to be made a notice (“final notice”), which is to be in addition to any notice required to be served under Part V, and which is to state every amount in respect of which the authority is to make the application.

(2) A final notice may be served in respect of an amount at any time
after it has become due

(3) A final notice need not be served on a person who has been served under regulation 23(1) with a reminder notice in respect of the amount concerned.

costs are not due until liabilty order is issued so cannot be "due" at Final Notice" stage?

(2) A final notice may be served in respect of an amount at any time after it has become due.

This is just the trigger action in respect of an amount due. However the contents of the notice is to state every amount in respect of which the authority is to make the application.

This doesn't seem to have any bearing on the point you're making but just for the record

The amendment primarily clarifies the position regarding when a final notice need not be served if the debtor fails to pay any instalments due within seven days of the issue of a reminder notice.

I remain unclear as to what the position is if someone had underpaid his installments.

Just this morning we have a case when somebody paid the second and third installment the same amount as the first. They where therefore short of £4 on each payment. Without any notice a summons was received adding another £70 costs.

If I understand properly no reminder notice need be sent but a final notice is mandatory before a summons.

I remain unclear as to what the position is if someone had underpaid his installments.

Just this morning we have a case when somebody paid the second and third installment the same amount as the first. They where therefore short of £4 on each payment. Without any notice a summons was received adding another £70 costs.

If I understand properly no reminder notice need be sent but a final notice is mandatory before a summons.

A final notice is not necessary in the circumstances mentioned in paragraph (3) of regulation 23 (see below)

(3) If, within the period of 7 days beginning with the day on which a reminder notice is issued, the liable person fails to pay any instalments which are or will become due before the expiry of that period, the unpaid balance of the estimated amount shall become payable by him at the expiry of a further period of 7 days beginning with the day of the failure.

See regulation 33 (paragraph 3):

33.—(1) Subject to paragraph (3), before a billing authority applies for a liability order it shall serve on the person against whom the application is to be made a notice (“final notice”), which is to state every amount in respect of which the authority is to make the application.

(3) Nothing in paragraph (1) shall require the service of a final notice in the circumstances mentioned in paragraph (3) of regulation 23 (including that paragraph as applied as mentioned in regulation 28A(2)).

In the quoted scenario, after the second payment was short by £4 this should have triggered a reminder. If the account was not brought up to date within 14 days the clowncil would not need to issue a final reminder and would be permitted to issue a summons. Maybe there was no reminder?

Additional information:

The number of reminders is dependant on whether an account is brought up to date after the first one in the financial year. For example, if after the first reminder an account is brought up to date in accordance with the demand, they must send another reminder if payments are subsequently missed. If the account is not brought up to date after being issued a first reminder they can go straight for a liability order.

I do not want to hijack this thread from the original topic yet we are covering an important issue. I hope this concludes the issue and we get out teeth back into the liability order costs. We may have to start a new thread and have a link to it. You have explained to me exactly as I understood. Either a reminder gets sent when one falls behind with the instalments or else a final reminder has to be sent. If neither has happened (as in this case) then the summons is illegal.

I have to correct myself. I was just told that a reminder was received but paid. I have to see it before going further on the reminder issue. However on the liability fee we still have a lot of ground.

I have advised that he first rings up the council asking to have the summons canceled and installments reinstated. If the council refuses than ask what extras are they charging for the pre liability. If it is the same as the full liability charge they may as well take it to the hearing stage and challenge the charge.

I need the full report in 'R. v. Brentford Justices ex parte Catlin', All England Law Reports [1975] 2 All ER QBD p.206-207,

if anyone can post a copy would be nice.

I have to correct myself. I was just told that a reminder was received but paid. I have to see it before going further on the reminder issue. However on the liability fee we still have a lot of ground.

I have advised that he first rings up the council asking to have the summons canceled and installments reinstated. If the council refuses than ask what extras are they charging for the pre liability. If it is the same as the full liability charge they may as well take it to the hearing stage and challenge the charge.

In respect of the reminder notice there is also the requirement to pay any further instalments occurring within 7 days of the date of the reminder with 7 days of that instalment becoming due - if this is not done then the reminder is not complied with and the summons can then be issued. Have you taken this in to consideration ?.

Regulation 23(3)

(3) If, within the period of 7 days beginning with the day on which a reminder notice is issued, the liable person fails to pay any instalments which are or will become due before the expiry of that period, the unpaid balance of the estimated amount shall become payable by him at the expiry of a further period of 7 days beginning with the day of the failure.

I need the full report in 'R. v. Brentford Justices ex parte Catlin', All England Law Reports [1975] 2 All ER QBD p.206-207,

If I remember correctly the court can appoint anybody in the council to issue and sign the summons. The actual signing can be done electronically by a push of a button provided only the button pusher has this unique button that only he/she can use.

As I am unable to post a direct line look for it in google.

324610/council_-tax-liability-order-hearings-plymouth-magistrates-court.doc

"Documents sent by the local council do not require a court seal or a court signatory."

Edited by sdovid

If I remember correctly the court can appoint anybody in the council to issue and sign the summons. The actual signing can be done electronically by a push of a button provided only the button pusher has this unique button that only he/she can use.

As I am unable to post a direct line look for it in google.

324610/council_-tax-liability-order-hearings-plymouth-magistrates-court.doc

"Documents sent by the local council do not require a court seal or a court signatory."

The MoJ's response regarding R. v. Brentford Justices ex parte Catlin in the Plymouth Magistrates court FOI request inadvertently provided a lead to the far more incriminating substance of the case.

Read "in this link" from the point where it states: "Lord Chief Justice Widgery was ruling on the affixing of a judge’s signature by rubber stamp....."

In my opinion the cost are blatantly unlawful. In general terms there are elements of the standard £75 costs that can not be compliant with the Regulations, based as they are on the premise that any expenditure considered attributable to recovery and enforcement activity (however tenuously linked) is recoverable by recharging it to the defendants through costs claimed in an application for a Liability Order.

More specifically the summons costs includes liability order costs.

The law only provides for costs to be claimed by the council in respect of obtaining a liability order, if the case proceeds to court and a liability order is obtained. Where payment is made before the case is heard (after service of a summons) only costs up to the point where an amount has been paid or tendered are provided for in the regulations.

Observing legislative restrictions that limit costs to expenditure incurred up to the point where an amount has been paid or tendered, and, mindful that this council claims an identical sum in cases that proceed to court, then it is falling foul of the law because the further cost incurred in obtaining an order is not borne by the council/taxpayer. The expenditure is obviously being unlawfully added in respect of instituting the complaint (summons issue).

It would also be falling foul of the law if the further cost incurred after obtaining a liability order were included in the costs claimed to obtain the order or for the summons.

They have included expenditure for reminders/final notices which I believe the High Court judgment in your first post has determined does not constitute legitimate expenditure, on the basis that recovery has not begun at that stage.

The £99,932 attributable to checking etc. is very dubious as I have received summonses after being fully up to date with instalments. I'd say the council more likely than not relies on the automated council tax system.

11% Revenues & Benefits (£148,928) suggests that this relates to customer queries, setting up payment arrangements etc., and could even be incurred in respect of these activities after the council have obtained a liability order which is about as unlawful as it gets.

Apart from the breakdown not splitting the costs total between the summons expenditure and liability order, they have divided the total figure by the number of liability orders obtained which would be about £10 less per summons if they had divided the total figure by the number of summonses.

£260,924 / 3,496 (liability orders) = £74.60

£260,924 / 4,052 (summons) = £64.40

There is another angle which is to look at how many staff are needed (or a rough estimate) to justify the amount of hours that have been attributed to the work involved in the summons production.

It seems as though the hourly rate based on average staffing costs is £23.17. Therefore if you add up all the relevant costs, i.e., those which refer to average staffing costs you can begin to roughly get an idea how many full time staff there would be needed to do the all the work claimed (See below, Total = £254,051.23).

£46.37 + £834.12 + £278.04 + £590.84 + £23.17 + £69.51 + £99,932.21 + £69.51 + £69.51 + £139.02 + £69.51 + £139.02 + £23.17 + £139.02 + £590.84 + £23.17 + £2,085.53

+ £148,928.67 (11% of Revenues & Benefits Budget)

Divide the Total by the average staffing costs ..... £254,051.23 / £23.17 = 10,964.662 Hours

Assuming a full time employee works 40 hours a week with 4 weeks holiday (no sick days), then the number of hours attributed annually for each employee would roughly equal 1,920 hours.

So:-

10,964.662 Hours / 1,920 = 5.7 full time staff working constantly with no dinner or tea breaks exclusively on summons work

You can also estimate how many staff are employed to account for the other 89% of Revenues & Benefits Budget to see how feasible that might be.

£1,204,968.30 (89% of R&B Budget) / £23.17 = 52,005.539 Hours

52,005.539 Hours / 1,920 = 27.08 full time staff

I agree, however, all I have to say is that the costs do not show where £75.00 comes from. End of argument.

The costs should look like this:

Staff time before summons sent 10 minutes = £5.00

P&P £2.00

Summons Fee £3.00

Time spent travelling to and attending court = £5.00

Computer software and fixed overheads = £5.00

What it costs to run the entire dept for a year is irrelvant. I know what they are trying to which is

total costs per year = £1m

divide by number of liability orders = 10,000

Average cost of liability order = £100

This is not the correct approach, each case must be judged on its own merits.

....This is not the correct approach, each case must be judged on its own merits.

I agree! Where a taxpayer exercises his right to challenge the costs in his own circumstances the obligation is on the council to calculate them in that specific case.

The judgment in the Reverend's case relevant to this matter is at paragraph 46:

.....may be a legitimate approach for a local authority to calculate and aggregate the relevant costs it has incurred in the previous year, and divide that up by the previous (or anticipated) number of summonses over twelve months so as to provide an average figure which could be levied across the board in "standard" cases, but could be amplified in circumstances where there was justification for incurring additional legal and/or administrative costs...

I think it should also have been added that the "standard" costs could be reduced in circumstances where it was demonstrated that there were less costs incurred than those that made up the standard sum.

Council now in retreat and stopped issuing summonses. Email below:

Dear xxxxxx

Magistrates court summons

You had previously been advised that our next date for sending Magistrates Court summonses would be today, 25 June 2015.

However, because the costs are currently under review I am unable to issue any summonses until I receive authorisation from our Executive Director. Once I receive confirmation I will advise you of the new date.

Revenues Team

• 2 weeks later...
look at the what do they know site for the latest.

costs_in_obtaining_a_liability_order

Not sure if I found the response which is referred to in your post. I did however find this one when entering the words in a search engine:

FOI 6619.docx

EDIT:

It seems that is the response in document form relating to this request: No checks made before issuing court summonses

I am still unable to post a link on this forum due to my small number of posts.

I was refering to Hackney. Make a google search for

Costs in obtaining a liability order for default of council tax

in whatdotheyknow