Fired while off sick

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3262 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone, I'll try and explain my issue as best as I can.

After many years as a stay at home mum I finally found a job for a small company local to me. I started on January 26th 2015 and my trial period ended on April 26th 2015. On May 6th I was taken ill and ended up having an ECG scan and had emergency blood tests. I kept my employers in the loop and they seemed understanding. A few days later I was still quite unwell and told them I'd need a few more days. They understood and asked me to let them know. However on Friday 15th I received an email from the owner of the company saying that they were grateful for all I had done but after a performance review (done in my absence and without my knowledge) they were letting me go with immediate effect and they would pay me a week's notice.

My question is: can they do that while I am off sick? Can they have a performance review without me present and then decide I hadn't met their "targets" which were never discussed with me previously in any shape or form?As I had worked past my trial period even though it was only a few days over, do I have any rights at all? It feels wrong that the first time I am in a difficult position they just fire me without giving me any other chance.

Am I being naive? I appreciate any feedback.

Edited by Martine10

2 things:

1) you have been employed less than 2 years so you can be dismissed for any reason other than statutory discrimination.

2) Being off sick is no protection from dismissal if all other procedures are followed and although this has been done in a cold and I dare say thoughtless manner by emailing you they havent done anything wrong procedurally. They have paid you your notice period and that is about all they need to do. You can appeal the dismissal but there is nothing you can do to force them to change their minds. Make sure they send you your P60 for up to april 5th and your P45 for this tax year's employment.

You would be best off to concentrate on recovering and then seeking employment elsewhere rather than wasting energy on this any more.

Thank you for your feedback, I was just really taken aback at the way they did it, knowing what I was going through. Generally speaking and for future reference though, can a performance review be done without the person present or without telling them?

A good employer will always make it clear what is wanted and how that is attained and feedback given. However, as said, if you have been employed for less than 2 years you can be sacked for making it rain if that is what they want to use as an excuse.

You might want to write to them to give your feedback, making clear that you don't buy the 'performance review' stuff, no targets were ever mentioned, etc. You could ask to meet the owner to discuss.