Credit file ruined by Southern Water for £59

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2724 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have been waiting for the last 6 years for defaults to drop off my credit file. I lost my business years ago and went through hell paying back loans etc. I had 8 defaults at one point but steadily the balances have been paid off and the defaults dropped off due to being 6 years old. I am now in a good position financially and was looking forward to my last default dropping off my account which has happened this week.

I moved into a new rented house late last year and started paying my water bill with South East Water. What I didn't realise was that I also have to pay a separate bill to Southern Water. I received a bill but thought this was for my final bill at my old address which I had already paid. I was paying south east water thinking that was the water bill for my new address sorted.

Anyway I have just had a default go onto my account today for £59.07 which I should have paid southern water as they deal with my waste water and south east only deal with the fresh water.

I am absolutely gutted, I feel physically sick, years and years of paying things off and waiting for my defaults to go and the week the last one drops of I get one for £59. I was hoping to get a mortgage etc. and be finally free.

I spoke with them to tell them I received no default notice but they say they sent it and that's all they have to prove. Is there anything at all I can do? I just can't go through another 6 years of being a bad credit risk. I thought it was all finally in the past

Hi

I would complain although it may go nowhere as you did receive the bills but were mistaken in your belief that you only paid one bill for your new home.

I would also send a SAR to get the account info to show where they did send a default notice.

What might have legs is the fact that this default is for a relatively small amount and by placing it they are not reflecting an accurate position you are in.

On your credit file, you are allowed to place a notice of correction which can be up to 200 words that gives you the opportunity to explain things in your own words. Future creditors should take this into account when making lending decisions.

I cannot say for certain you will get the default removed but persistence sometimes pays off.

You could try the CEO

[email protected]

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thank you, I will try everything. I registered with Credit Expert just so I could see a file with no defaults for the first time in 8 years. Then this. I will do whatever I can but deep down I am thinking it will be a long and fruitless task. I just wish there was some compassion somewhere in the credit reference process.

• 1 year later...

I think the whole process of default notices should be looked at. I understand if you get a CCJ it stays on your file for 6 years, but why have defaults for the same period of time and which even if paid off stay there. Surely they should be shorter in term or if paid off completely removed with in a lesser time.

It gives no one a chance as the above mentioned of getting their house in order. A default serves no purpose to the company putting it on your file.

Companies like to put defaults on credit files as they know it will stop you getting any finance and therefore rather than pay back loans you could pay them ! In some cases it's just petty and nasty - anything under £100 shouldn't be subject to a default.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.