licence revoked by dlva saying eyesight no good - optician says its ok

tappets
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2552 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

How do the DVLA know that your eyesight is no good?

Yes, on what are they basing their decision ? Will your optician provide you with a letter/report in support.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I had something similar when I renewed my licence last time.

My replacement licence said that I could only drive while wearing eyesight correction. Had to pay for an eye test at my local specsavers and take that result to the DVLA local office (remember those) to prove that they were wrong.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

the dlva offices are now all closed but inquiring about this i was put through to a lady from the the medical group ask me what was wrong i explained that her department had revoked my licence even though my optician has sent them a eyesight test showing that my eyesight was good enough she then ask me to get my optician to send his readings and would look into it this i already had a letter from my optician and so faxed it over and i am now waiting for the results

Please do update your thread with any progress :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

in reply to your question they had my opticians eyesight test results and still refused to reinstate my licence so you can imagen my mind blowing proplem

sorry yes my optician has given me a letter saying that with the results of my eyesight they can find no reason mr ----- woould not meet the currant driving visual requirements this has been faxed to the dlva medical group i hold my breath on the results

• 2 weeks later...

dvla emailed me telling me that my licence was revoked because my eyesight was not up to standard but if i had evidence to disproof this would i send it to them for their assesment this i did they know tell me even if they find my evidence to be correct i still must reaply by forms for my licence to be reinstated does mean another eight weeks wait this has gone on from 8-01-2015 how much longer

You will have to reapply by filing the forms including the medical questionnaire and they may even write to your doctor or optician again. That can take anywhere between 2 weeks and three months and then they will make a decision based on the evidence they get back.

Hello, I just thought i would tell you that we had a similar situation. 8 eye tests later, 2 by a consultant from Moorfields and still DVLA say problem with eyes but will not tell me what, consultant said nothing wrong and eyes meet the criteria. This saga has been going on for 5 years. My advise is to start a complaint with DVLA, write a letter, make sure you put complaint at the top, you will probably get the brush off, next step ask your MP to write, once that has happened then ask for an ICA review, then you have to contact the ombudsman. We have recently met with the ombudsman and several others who have had problems with DMG. The problem is DVLA will not admit mistakes, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you will get more sense from a monkey than that lot. Ask DVLA to specify what is wrong with your eyes.It will make no difference if you get a report that states your eyes are fine, it took 2 reports from a consultant to get them to back down and only after the ombudsman got involved. Don't try to prove them wrong anymore just start the complaint process and contact the ombudsman and inform them, they won't get too involved just yet but they can get things moving in your favour. Good luck

Hello, I just thought i would tell you that we had a similar situation. 8 eye tests later, 2 by a consultant from Moorfields and still DVLA say problem with eyes but will not tell me what, consultant said nothing wrong and eyes meet the criteria. This saga has been going on for 5 years. My advise is to start a complaint with DVLA, write a letter, make sure you put complaint at the top, you will probably get the brush off, next step ask your MP to write, once that has happened then ask for an ICA review, then you have to contact the ombudsman. We have recently met with the ombudsman and several others who have had problems with DMG. The problem is DVLA will not admit mistakes, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you will get more sense from a monkey than that lot. Ask DVLA to specify what is wrong with your eyes.It will make no difference if you get a report that states your eyes are fine, it took 2 reports from a consultant to get them to back down and only after the ombudsman got involved. Don't try to prove them wrong anymore just start the complaint process and contact the ombudsman and inform them, they won't get too involved just yet but they can get things moving in your favour. Good luck

No need for the ombudsman if you are sure (check their own published medical standards).

After a 5 year period you'd need to reapply, and if they "knock you back" : write that you are appealing to a Magistrates' Court with your expert's report. State that you are giving them (say 3 weeks?) to reconsider, then issue the appeal.

For the OP: If in response to a recent revocation : similar, except you don't have to re-appeal. Their letter of revocation should inform you of your right of appeal to the Magistrates (provided your time to appeal hasn't yet expired). I suspect a Magistrate will be quite conservative if it is questionable, but not if it is clear you meet DVLA's own standards.

The current standards are at:

https://www.gov.uk/current-medical-guidelines-dvla-guidance-for-professionals-vision-chapter-appendix

Is your visual defect central? peripheral??

Was you visual field test a "binocular Esterman"?

Even if you have a visual field defect that might be a bar (making a Magistrates appeal unlikely to succeed), do you think you would be able to apply for the "exceptional case" consideration? (although this then puts you at DVLA's tender mercies and woeful timescales!)

Exceptional cases

For Group 1 drivers who have previously held full driving entitlement, removed because of a field defect which does not satisfy the standard, may be eligible to reapply to be considered as exceptional cases on an individual basis, subject to strict criteria:

• the defect must have been present for at least 12 months
  • the defect must have been caused by an isolated event or a non-progressive condition
  • there must be no other condition or pathology present which is regarded as progressive and likely to be affecting the visual fields
  • the applicant has sight in both eyes
  • there is no uncontrolled diplopia
  • there is no other impairment of visual function, including glare sensitivity, contrast sensitvity or impairment of twilight vision
  • there is clinical confirmation of full functional adaptation

If reapplication is then accepted, a satisfactory practical driving assessment, carried out at an approved assessment centre, must subsequently be completed.

Hi, experience has taught me that court is not the way to go if they have revoked your licence, however you are out of time as y Just before it goes to court DVLA will give you your licence back for 1 year and you will have to pay for their costs. Magistrates will tend to follow DVLA demands as road safety will be cited and you have no argument for that. As a general piece of advice to everyone, and this came from a Judge, the section 88, you are given if DVLA hold your licence for any reason, is worthless and you can be prosecuted for driving without a licence.

Can you clarify what category of licence this please? I had a feeling that for a normal private car licence only one eye had to meet the standard, but I may have this wrong. But for some HGV and PSV it was different and it was both eyes.

For other types of health problems that might affect people holding a licence DVLA have their own medical panel, and if DVLA are not satisfied with GP's report they'll send you to their panel. Do they do something similar with vision issues?

• 1 year later...
If licence expired and you are waiting for dvla to process results of eye test before possible renewal you can drive for up to a year if NO other problems and no bans for other reasons -1988 ROAD TRAFFIC ACT

Yes, under S.88 : if licence expired, or was surrendered e.g. On health grounds, AND a current application has been made AND the driver doesn't believe it will be refused. It protects against a S.87 prosecution

However, that doesn't help the OP, due to s.94A

S.88's permission to drive won't prevent a S.94A prosecution for driving without a licence after licence revocation!, only preventing the S.87 prosecution......

• 1 month later...

Did you know that the eyesight requirements for a Goods driver are more stringent than those for a car driver.

Car drivers require 6/12 in at least one eye which equates to being able to read a number plate at 20 Mtrs. Lorry drivers require 6/7.5 in both eyes. With my driving specs on my eyesight is 6/6 in both eyes without my specs it is only 6/12. Since I drive a US RV I require a HGV license with a medical exam every three years.

Now If you answer the questions correctly as I did, i.e. I can pass the test for cars without spectacles but cannot pass the test for HGV,s without specs. The DVLA cannot accept this answer. After two months The DVLA sent a letter saying that I could no longer drive without a license.

Therefore I filled in that I needed specs to drive a car. It is now illegal for me to drive my motorised lawn mower without specs.

I have since found out that in fact my license was valid for the next 12 months and it was perfectly legal for me to drive.

The DVLA are masters at inventing legislation. Under the Law [ Carltona Principle], as an executive agency of the Department for Transport, any statement made by the staff of the DVLA is in effect a statement, document or communication by the Secretary of State for Transport and it is he who you should complain to

The motto for the DVLA is :- OVIS AERIES ZOOPHITES CENSERE.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.