• Tweets

• Update: tfl is taking me to court I'm trying to get an ooc claim from them but they have not been replying to my emails. 
    • Are these the important pages I need to upload ? 1.  pages 1-4 are court form 10a 2.  2 pages of the CCA agreement  3.  Default notice from NewDay, 22/02/20 4.   Lowell letter stating they own debt ,     Dated 16/11/20 5. Unheaded letter also dated 16/11/20 from NewDay saying they assigned “all of the respective rights etc,”  to Lowell on 23/10/20 I make this 9 relevant pages from what I can see   ( all other pages are statements/default notes and lots of FCA info sheets) just needing your confirmation in advance as I don’t want to send over pages that are not required thank you  UCM      
    • Just out of curiosity aesmith - are you a lawyer?
    • I spoke to a pro-bono entity this afternoon.  They advise I must initiate a claim in the court v the receiver if I want to then file an application for an order for sale.  I must have a claim/ proceedings to be able to force a sale. The judge in the current proceedings  has told me that I cannot force the lender to sell and the lender cannot interfere either.   If the receiver isn't acting correctly and isn't selling - this means I must make a claim against the receiver I could initiate a claim. Or much quicker  - the other entity - with a charge already - could use that to make an application for an order for sale.
    • Thanks Dave It's not too far away, about 8 or 9 miles, so I will probably venture over on my bike if I can't think of a good reason to drive there again! I'll have a chat with Mrs GB_Joe tomorrow and see which shops they visited, I know M&S was on the list (had to try on multiple sets of trousers!) and they are actually in that bit of retail park. The uniform shop is across the way in the Meridian Centre, so probably not helpful to get them involved.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

PRA Group chasing MBNA debt

camillamagnum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2676 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I hope someone on this forum with more knowledge than me can help!

I have an old date with MBNA (currently £6,723.58) which was passed on to PRA Group for collection some time ago.

I'm with stepchange for other debts and all debt companies have agreed to allow me to pay £1 per month.

I asked PRA Group to provide me with original docs and they have replied that they had to request these from the original creditor

and are currently unable to provide this.

They said they would 'freeze' my account until they had a reply from MBNA and that I did not need to continue to make token payments until they had a reply.

The next letter from them said MBNA are "currently unable" to provide docs and they apologise for being unable to fulfil my request at this time.

They go on to say:

"This means that we have classified your debt as currently "unenforceable",

which means that we are unable to take court action against you to recover the outstanding balance.

This does not mean that your debt is wiped out."

and end with

"We look forward to your proposals whilst your account remains on hold."

So far so good, but

how can I get the debt wiped out,

as it is clear that they cannot enforce it legally?

Do I need to start making token payments again?

I would be glad of some advice as I feel this is a bit of a victory whilst it is on hold but not sure how to proceed.

Thank you so much for your time.

Correct., But they can still attempt to get a CCJ by default. Knowing PRA they will probably try.

This is a very good situation to be in.

Does it currently show on your CRA? If you have made a payment against it bar a SAR request fee and also a CCA Fee then you may have killed the chance of it being Statute Barred but even so, You are still in a good position.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

you cant get the debt 'wiped out'

however if they've no CCA and its not on your CRA file

its not hurting you.

step change prob wont like you stopping one debt in a plan.

might be better to dump them altogether

and do the DMP yourself.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Correct., But they can still attempt to get a CCJ by default. Knowing PRA they will probably try.

This is a very good situation to be in.

Does it currently show on your CRA? If you have made a payment against it bar a SAR request fee and also a CCA Fee then you may have killed the chance of it being Statute Barred but even so, You are still in a good position.

I think CRA means credit file

I checked and it shows as Defaulted on 30 Jun '09 with a default balance of £6,813, satisfied on 31 Jul '09

- I suppose that's when they sold it on.

It went to another DCA before PRA.

Incidentally, I did not send a SAR request fee or a CCA Fee but have made the £1 payments until january this year....

you cant get the debt 'wiped out'

however if they've no CCA and its not on your CRA file

its not hurting you.

step change prob wont like you stopping one debt in a plan.

might be better to dump them altogether

and do the DMP yourself.

dx

Actually, I'm not in a dmp with stepchange. I set up the £1 payments myself and stepchange provide me with i and e to send to the companies...

What about the entry for PRA? They usually update it to themselves :) But if they dont, Result.

Well if not in a DMP, STOP PAYING! You may have been cashcowed :p

At least you can stop it now :) Until they cough up the CCA then you dont pay :)

And as they cant, Its on Indefinite hold :p

I would now ignore them as they cant cough up :)

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

will be off your credit files after 30th june this year

but wouldnt be statute barred until jan 2021

when did you take out the card?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

I took out the card with MBNA in 2002.

It became Varde Experto,

then Credit Experto

then it was passed to Aktiv Kapital in April 2012,

then PRA group in 6 November 2014.

I'm wondering whether I should just ignore them now

or reply with an 'account in dispute' letter and cite OFT requirements.

Ultimately I would like them to admit defeat and write it off if it were possible.

I think it must surely is on indefinite hold now as fkofilee noted.

is worthy to note they are all part of PRA Group...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?243110-Varde-Investments-Experto-Credite-amp-Overseas-Companies

I would not be inviting letter tennis

if you didn't send the blank postal Orders for the CCA /SAR

then they've no legal remit to comply.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I took out a credit card with MBNA in July 2002 and defaulted in the recession due to closing of my business and health probs.

I agreed to pay them a token payment of £1 per month which I did until Jan 2015.

In the meantime, the account was passed to Credito Experto, Aktiv Capital and finally PRA.

When I made a request for CCA to PRA in January 2015 and asked to see a deed of assignment, they said they would contact MBNA but did not return any paperwork in response to my CCA or provide deed of assignment.

I stopped paying them assuming that meant I did not need to as they were unable to provide the necessary paperwork

. MBNA informed me the account was closed (I seem to remember I phoned them but dont have anything in writing now, even though they may have sent a letter confirming this).

On 5 March 2015, I wrote to PRA:

"Thank you for your reply to my letter of 24 January 2015 requesting documentation pertaining to my original application and deed of assignment.

I am anxious that this does not become a protracted correspondence and therefore request that you provide me with above documentation within 30 days, or provide me with a final response so that I can take the matter further with FOS."

They did not reply.

In Nov 2016,

I received a statement of my account from PRA.

Period covered 28/11/2015 - 27/11/2016-

and offering me a single payment settlement option of £672.36 of £6723.58 outstanding.

In the belief that they were contacting me about a debt that no longer existed, I phoned them to say MBNA had informed me the account was closed. They said they would contact MBNA to find out.

I next received another letter from PRA on 15 Dec 2016 telling me they have purchased my outstanding balance with MBNA and it is now being managed by their Investigations and Litigation Dept to look at my outstanding debt for possible Litigation recovery

. If I do not reply within 14 days they will be 'forced to undertake further investigations to gain an insight into my ability to pay' and 'move to the next stage'.

I think they may have tried to visit me as I have had a few knocks at the door which I haven't answered but I can't be sure it was them.

I wish I had not phoned them as it seems to have escalated their collection team.

What to do now?????

STOP discussing this over the phone.

Keep everything in writing ONLY.

You can withhold payment as they have failed to supply you with the CCA request.

You won't get the deed of assignment either, do you mean the notice of assignment?

Have you checked your credit file?

Whilst they have failed to send you the CCA, they cannot take any enforcement action, and any mention of this in their puerile missives is a no no.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Last payment of £1 was Jan 2015.

Here is quote from PRA's reply (30/04/2015) to my request from CCA issued to them 24 Jan 2015. They clearly state MBNA don't have the docs. Should I write to remind them of this letter?

"We refer to your request for documentation relating to the above account.

As previously advised, PRA Group does not hold copies of the original documents and we therefore have to request these from the original creditor.

Unfortunately we have been advised by the original creditor that they are currently unable to provide this and we apologise for being unable to fulfil your request at this time.

This means that we have classified your debt as currently unenforcable which means that we are unable to take court action against you to recover the outstanding balance

. This does not mean that your debt is wiped out.

Despite the debt being unenforceable, we are still legally entitled to: contact you and ask you to repay what you owe;

pass your details onto a third party debt collection agency;

update your credit reference report (as appropriate).

For more information on your rights under Section 77-70 of the CCA Act......

. You should also be aware that the original creditor may be able to provide us with information in future, at which time we will class your debt as unenforceable."

ps. not sure if last sentence is as quoted - ie repeat of 'unenforceable' - would need to check this. Surely they meant enforceable.

Old and new threads merged

Please keep to one thread

As all you've done is made people ask the same things as were asked & answered before

Dx

and they

Ignore them until/unless they supply a CCA return

Or a claim form

Then post back

And please STAY of the phone to no powers DCA's

They are not bailiffs

and they