Road tax refund

Martinkr
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2810 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all. I am in need of good advise.

I sold my car on 09/01/2015 with tax until end of April left on the car, which would mean I don't get January back.

But should get feb/ march/April back. Wrong because dvla have told me that because they did,nt receive the signed v5 back until 02/02/2015

I only get two months back. How wrong is this,

Now I know they would of received the v5 back we'll before the end of January because I posted it in good time. But because I did,nt send it recorded delivery,I have no proof.

What really makes me angry is the fact that the new owner set up a direct debit for paying the road tax in January. So in short,I feel that it is legalised theft for them to keep road tax for febuary twice,

I have complained to the refund section, and have now complained to the next stage,and basically my next stage is to go to the chief executive

Wish i knew if i would win .if i did i would take them to court.hoping someone on hear can give me the answers and facts as the dvla should.nt be allowed to get away with this

morally it is theft. legally it isnt. its another money making con from the dvla.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

The refund is automatically given from the start of the month AFTER the dvla receive the completed V5 notifying them of the sale of the vehicle.

The new owner is expected to tax the vehicle from the start of the month they purchase it.

This means that the DVLA collects two lots of tax for the month where ownership is transferred. This is a 'nice little earner' for the government, and is effectively a 'tax' on vehicle sales.

This is not a new thing, it was the same under the old paper disc too. Sellers would try to sell near the end of the month and buyers preferred to buy at the start of the month, to maximise the length of time you could actually 'use' the tax.

Ideally, the system should also refund automatically if a new owner starts to pay for tax for the same vehicle, but it doesn't, because that would reduce the amount of money DVLA make from people who notify them late, and it gives an incentive for them to say the form was received on the 1st/2nd/3rd of the next month.

In short, there is nothing you can do about the double tax for January, that is 'built in' to the system.

You can always complain about February and the alleged late receipt of the V5, but without any proof of postage from yourself it will be almost impossible to get them to admit to any mistake.

I don't care about January,it has always been the month you sell.someone looses, it's like if I decided to take my motorbike out of the shed today and tax it. I would loose from the start of this month. I know this, I know exactly how it is, but really,. New owner pays road tax the following month and the old owner does,nt get it bac because the dvla are behind and have processed it late

That's why proof of postage/receipt is so important when dealing with any governmental organisation, and especially where money is concerned, because you can bet that someone will either try to get one over on you or cover their ass.

• 1 year later...