Social Media & Fraud

fkofilee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3266 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What makes you think it might be? I can't see it myself but then I've not thought about it.

I believe dca's use it but then that's probably not the best example of ethical companies. :-/

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The problem you would have is that information put out on social media is seen as being in the public domain. Unless they hacked passwords to get at the content there is no case to answer.

Somone once said to me. Posting anything to facebook is akin to putting all facebook users in the same room and you standing on a table shouting the info.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Employers use it, police use it. As SS says, it's in the public domain which is why it's so dangerous to give out too much info on there.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Haha... Thanks folks... I asked Because of the Money Shop battle I'm fighting.

They openly added in an email to me "Weve used social media and search engines to verify you identity against this fraudulent debt.."

I know it's the public domain but what I'm trying to get at is these kind of companies using social media as a weapon against me...

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Nothing unlawful here I shouldn't think, as everyone else has said using information in the public domain is no different to using this site for information.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

Haha... Thanks folks... I asked Because of the Money Shop battle I'm fighting.

They openly added in an email to me "Weve used social media and search engines to verify you identity against this fraudulent debt.."

I know it's the public domain but what I'm trying to get at is these kind of companies using social media as a weapon against me...

Sounds quite sensible to me although with other measures as not entirely reliable. .There was something on tv the other night about people making false pages on fb and putting lies about real people which make their life hell eg they were saying the girl featured was a prostitute.

If they have CCTV of someone taking a loan in your name and they can see it's not you then surely it confirms there has been fraud.

In some respects they had to go to great lengths in the past to try to find people but now we routinely tell the world where we are, what we're doing and potentially like some of my friends what we're eating at every given opportunity.

Putting it out there makes it fair game, it's not like they've parked a photographer outside your window, people do a great job of keeping the world informed all by themselves now. It's perhaps a salutary tale to those who don't want to be traced to not use social media or to ensure that the information that they do post is sufficiently well protected by the privacy settings.

I have patients who are registered at the practice I manage try to add me on Facebook or ask if I'm on Twitter/Instagram. I always decline requests and make sure my profile is sufficiently well locked down to only display information that I'm okay with anyone seeing.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

• 4 weeks later...

Hell like the people says on the thread most people do its in the public domain i used information for a court case as proof the judge wasn't bothered saying that even though the guy was committing tax fraud they were not bothered either i think there is rules if someone tries to make money from it though but not sure best not share anything to public on facebook

You can use the Facebook Privacy settings to stop anyone not a friend from seeing your info, and iirc you can even set it so that they cant find you or send a friend request by using your email address should they have it.

There is a little sticky in the Employment Forum if it is still there regarding Facebook and Work, the extreme end of the info would be useful in locking out anyone from viewing your profile.

Say your looking for Mr Unique Name, and it is such a unique name that there are only 3 in the country, now you know the Mr Name your after lived in Leeds, when he ran up the debt, you do a facebook search and find all 3 Mr Names, and No 2 is shown as living in Leeds, then that's probably your man - a few minutes of fiddling with Facebook or Linkedn, and you have saved handing over cash to the likes of the 192 website to try and find your Mr Name.

The stuff available and how easy it is to access on the 192 is shocking, and there are a lot of strong arguments and beliefs that the site should be banned, it is basically a wonderland for, for example a domestic abuser looking for their abused partner who has done a runner. Me and an online friend tested it - With just her first name and surname and having a general idea where she lived, ie South East England, nowhere more specific than that, I not only located her street but her Fiance's name, and that was just through the free search! 192 is a story and thread all of its own though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]