Leaving UK Debt and moving back to Australia

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3312 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am an Australian/British citizen (Dual Nationality) and I have lived in the UK for the past 11 years.

Unfortunately I have made poor choices whilst I have been here and I am in debt. I have been paying a DMP for the past 2 years and I have roughly £9,500 in total left to pay to various creditors.

I have to move back to Australia in about 3 months time due to my parents ill health and this move will be permanent and I have no intention of returning to the UK.

I would like some advice on if I will be chased for this debt in Australia if I just leave without paying?

Also, is there anything I should do in the next 3 months before I leave? I do not want to give them my address in Australia but should I notify them that I am leaving the country?

Thank you for your advice in advance

if you are leaving no assets reclaim as much ppi/penalty charges as you can and run!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks dx100uk

I am just worried about being harassed when I get back to Australia.

As the largest amount I owe to one creditor is £3000 do you think they will chase me for it?

you'd have to gen up a bit here in this forum

but I don't recall anyone coming here stating they've lost anything through court action taken outside the UK.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi,

I am an Australian/British citizen (Dual Nationality) and I have lived in the UK for the past 11 years.

Unfortunately I have made poor choices whilst I have been here and I am in debt. I have been paying a DMP for the past 2 years and I have roughly £9,500 in total left to pay to various creditors.

I have to move back to Australia in about 3 months time due to my parents ill health and this move will be permanent and I have no intention of returning to the UK.

I would like some advice on if I will be chased for this debt in Australia if I just leave without paying?

Also, is there anything I should do in the next 3 months before I leave? I do not want to give them my address in Australia but should I notify them that I am leaving the country?

Thank you for your advice in advance

When you get to Australia, write to them and state that you have had to leave the UK permanently due to family illheath in Australia and will not be able to service any outstanding commitments in the UK until your circumstances have improved. You should inform the people running the DMP as well.

It is important to make UK creditors aware that you are not in the UK, as this should stop them getting UK court judgements. Without UK court judgements, Aussie courts may not be interested in looking at UK debts. But if you don't advise UK creditors you have left the UK, they could obtain UK court judgements by default in your absence and I believe that Aussie courts will look to enforce UK court judgements.

As soon you are register anything in Aus, your address details will be available to anyone wanting to trace you. So even if you did not provide your address, it would not be very long before debt collection agencies started to write to you.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread