Question regarding working under 16 hours

pepper79
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3316 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey all, Im currently unemployed but desperate to get back into work.

I see a lot of jobs that are under 16 hours and am interested in a job but its only 13 hours. At min. wage it would be £84 p/w (but the max wage is £6.70 p/h which would make it £87 p/w) and Im currently getting £72 p/w in benefits. Travel expenses may leave me with not much extra in my pocket and I struggle like hell now so dont know if its worth my while or not. I was told earlier today that if I work under 16 hours my money may get topped up but I dont know anything about this or indeed if its true or not. Can anyone shed any light on this please? Thanks.

If you work under 16 hours and earn less than the JSA amount then it will be topped up. You will still have to attend the center and do your signing activities. You would also have to complete a separate form regarding hours and pay and submit time sheets.

The real benefits of taking the job would be;

-Easier to move into a better job whilst employed.

-Not having to deal with the Department of Wurrk and Sanctions

Things are different under Universal Credit. Others have more info than I do.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

If you are currently receiving JSA and you work for fewer than 16 hours per week you can continue to claim. A small disregard will be applied to your earnings, and the rest will be taken from your JSA pound for pound. The disregards are £5 per week for a single person, £10 per week for a couple, and (I think) £20 per week for a lone parent.

So if you are single with benefits of £72 per week and earn £84 you would not receive any JSA (that is, £84 - the £5 disregard is £79, which is more than your JSA entitlement). If your earnings vary from week to week, your entitlement will be worked out by taking your average earnings over a five week period, or 3 months if you are paid monthly.

If you receive any Housing Benefit you may still be entitled to all or most of that payment, though you would need to inform your council of your change in circumstances.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

In the balance of fairness to my last post. A Positive of remaining on JSA would be that you would receive National Insurance Credits

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

A Positive of remaining on JSA would be that you would receive National Insurance Credits

Just to throw in another negative: The DWP would be regarded as your primary "employer", so you would be taxed on all earnings from a secondary source. So your £87p/w would end up being £69.60 after income tax. You would be able to recover most, if not all of this at the end of the tax year.

Note: Since the introduction of Real Time Information tax reporting, the above should be a thing of the past.

As antone has stated, even if you were to close your JSA claim, you would still be entitled to HB and CTR, so you wouldn't be any worse off before taking in to account travel expenses.

One more advantage of a part time job: There is often the chance to work additional hours, either covering for absences or busy periods.

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

This may trigger a transfer to UC - so you may need to seek advice on this from your local CAB/LA/DWP office

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.