• Tweets

• Hello CAG Team, I'm adding the contents of the claim to this thread, but wanted to open the thread with an urgent question: Do I have to supply a WS for a claim with a court date that states " at the hearing the court will consider allocation and, time permitting, give an early neutral evaluation of the case" ? letter is an N24 General Form of Judgement or Order, if so, then I've messed up again. Court date 25 May 2024 The letter from court does not state (like the other claims I have) that I must provide WS within 28 days.. BUT I have recently received a WS from Link for it! making me think I do need to!??
    • Massive issues from Scottish Power I wonder if someone could advise next steps. Tennant moved out I changed the electric into my name I was out the country at the time so I hadn't been to the flat. During sign up process they tried to hijack my gas supply as well which I made it clear I didn't want duel fuel from them but they still went ahead with it. Phoned them up again. a few days later telling them to make sure they stopped it but they said too late ? had to get my current supplier to cancel it. Paid £50 online to ensure there was money covering standing charges etc eventually got to the flat no power. Phoned Scottish Power 40 minutes to get through they state I have a pay as you go meter and that they had set me up on a credit account so they need to send an engineer out which they will pass my details onto. Phone called from engineer asking questions , found out the float is vacant so not an emergency so I have to speak to Scottish Power again. Spoke with the original person from Scottish Power who admitted a mistake (I had told her it was vacant) and now states that it will take 4 weeks to get an appointment but if I want to raise a complaint they will contact me in 48 hours and it will be looked at quicker. Raised a complaint , complaints emailed me within 24 hours to say it will take 7 days till he speaks with me. All I want is power in the property would I be better switching over to EON who supply the gas surely they could sort it out quicker? One thing is for sure I will never bother with Scottish Power ever again.    
    • Hi. Please don't follow McD's advice to contact Met to appeal. They won't listen and you could end up giving them helpful information. HB
    • The UK-based mining giant Anglo American says it has received a takeover proposal from Australia's BHP.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3059 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So. This is a long story - sorry about that!

In March 2014, my husband and I received a very large back bill.

Apparently, they discovered they hadn't input what few meter readings they had into their system

upon changing the account from my husband's name to mine.

We'd originally wanted the account in both of our names, for visa purposes, but they refused.

We were completely shocked, and there was/is no way for us to pay it, as we just barely scrape by paying the normal bills.

The amount was also very high for our living situation, and I still don't think the amount is correct.

We've argued back and forth for a year about the repayment amount.

They won't accept anything.

When we sent in a financial statement with an offer based off our last bill amount,

they wrote back asking for more than double what we offered,

saying it was "unconscionable" to "leave a customer in debt".

Well if it was that unconscionable,

they could just forgive the back amount and let us go forward with a clean slate to pay our bills in full/on time.

But no.

I haven't won the lottery yet, so we sent another letter.

today, I got a hand delivered letter from them saying they've now installed a pre-payment meter.

Fantastic!

Even higher rates for a bill we could only just about afford before!

It's really only a matter of time now before we just won't have the money to keep the lights turned on and won't be able to cook at home.

They "suggest" we load £32 onto the meter each week to pay for "our usage" and the repayment amount of £8/week.

We cannot afford that much per month. It's just not possible.

I'm not sure if we would otherwise qualify for benefits,

but it's really a moot point because I'm a US National, here on a spouse visa,

and one of the conditions of those visas is no access to public funds.

Is there anything we can do?

I'm so stressed out,

and I really didn't need even more stress.

Edited by ptork66

No. The only other debt is council tax, we arranged to pay it in installments through the end of March. Then, of course, we'll get the next year's bill.

Other than that, we have no debts and don't spend. We pay food, rent, council tax, electricity, phone, and that's it.

I've also noticed, since I got an estimated bill last time, that their estimates seems to always be more than double what we actually used. So I'm wondering if the back bill was similarly over-estimated, too.

You need to update them with correct Meter readings

Do you have all the old bills?

I think a subject access request may be needed to get all the info they have on you

Unfortunately it does cost £10 but should get to the bottom of this

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Just to clarify, as you mention a back-bill.

When you received the bill, were they trying to bill you for energy used more than 12 months previous to the bill? Backbilling rules may apply here if so.

Hmm, how far down their complaints procedure are you?

If you're not start it immediately so you can escalate this to the energy ombudsman sooner rather than later.

Have they actually physically checked the meter?

Do you give them accurate meter reading every month or just wait for the bill?

Have you registered for the Home front discount which EON are part of?

How much is this 'guestimated' bill?

There is an EON rep on here who I'm sure the site team will flag up to....

There seems to be something amiss here, if they have made a genuine mistake with billing, then they should

make a genuine offer/discount to come to an amicable arrangement regarding what they say is outstanding?

How long was it before they realised they had been billing you incorrectly, and how long was it they sent you the

correct bill?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

We have been updating them with meter readings. That is when I noticed the stark difference between the estimated bill and the actual bill.

I do have all the old bills - but they are nearly all estimated, because before then,

I didn't understand why I was being asked to take my own meter readings especially when they have a meter reader.

I understand that was my fault, but I do have a niggling feeling, now, that they were still wildly over-estimated. How to prove, though, I don't know.

I will add a subject access request to our list of possibilities. But wouldn't I need two, since the first two and a half years are under my husband's name?

No you only need ONE SAR for the account..

How far into their complaints procedure are you?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hmm, how far down their complaints procedure are you?

If you're not start it immediately so you can escalate this to the energy ombudsman sooner rather than later.

Have they actually physically checked the meter?

Do you give them accurate meter reading every month or just wait for the bill?

Have you registered for the Home front discount which EON are part of?

How much is this 'guestimated' bill?

There is an EON rep on here who I'm sure the site team will flag up to....

There seems to be something amiss here, if they have made a genuine mistake with billing, then they should

make a genuine offer/discount to come to an amicable arrangement regarding what they say is outstanding?

How long was it before they realised they had been billing you incorrectly, and how long was it they sent you the

correct bill?

Complaints: We've been in and out of complaints for a while. But I know now that I need to re-open a complaint and ask for a deadlock letter, yes?

Checking Meter: If by that you mean reading it, they've been like twice in the 3.5 years we've lived here. The cupboard is communal, and the reader doesn't have his own key to it so relies on tenants to let him in.

Home Front: Is that the one that has applications open for a bit and then closes? If so, I only just heard about it a few days ago. I've registered for updates about next year, but...

Amount of Bill: The original back bill was for £3,291.49, which was then reduced to £1,862.46 after applying the billing code.

How Long Before Back Bill: They realised they hadn't input the couple readings they had after we'd been here about 2.5 years. I understand (now) I made a (big) mistake by not responding to requests for me to read the meter in between meter reader visits.

AFAIK, you won't be able to 're-open' a complaint, usually if they haven't heard anything from you for a month or so, they will close the complaint and deem you to be satisfied with their response.

However, IF, the complaints have been similar, and they have taken longer than 8 weeks to rectify, then you 'should' be able to escalate this to the energy ombudsman, but let me check EON's complaints procedure first.

Home Front, yes that's the one.

I am confused by the communal cupboard?

Is this just ONE meter for all apartments?

Or is there individual meters for the apartments?

Here is their complaints procedure.

http://www.eonenergy.com/About-eon/how-we-service-our-customers/~/media/PDFs/For-your-business/SME-PDFs/SME-General/complaintssme.pdf

Edited by Bazooka Boo
Added Link

There are individual meters for the apartments, but they're all housed in a little locked room with the door located on the street. Each tenant (I think) has a key to the cupboard/place but the meter reader person does not. So unless someone is home and able to let him in, he can't access the meters to read them.

The first complaint was 6 April 2014.

I have a letter from 12 August 2014 stating they can't write off the debt,

but they could put in a prepayment meter and set up a repayment plan of £385 a month.

Then I have a follow up to that from 18 August 2014,

which I unfortunately responded to via phone and can't remember what was said.

The second complaint was 16 November 2014 and received a response in February.

I believe they said "prepayment meter" and £188 a month.

Supposedly they looked at the financial statement we sent, but they must have got ours mixed up with somebody else's,

because I have no idea where else they'd get £188 from.

We sent a reply to that about a week ago, but I guess they didn't get it, since they've apparently gone ahead

and installed a prepayment meter today. I e-mailed that letter to them a few hours ago.

Your story is rather disorganised and we don't have any sense of the timeline of events. Eversir has asked you an important question and you haven't dealt with it.

I would like to start out by saying that if this problem has been caused by the fault of the energy supplier, then yes there is probably quite a lot you can do about it if you are prepared to go the distance.

However, I think you need to start off by telling us the story in a chronological way – bullet pointed. Start from the time that you open the account and give us the sequence of events in chronological order with the month and the date for each event.

You say that they failed to update their records with meter readings. Have you got evidence of this?

eon rep has been alerted too.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

so: Amount of Bill: The original back bill was for £3,291.49, which was then reduced to £1,862.46 after applying the billing code.

and what have you paid them in the last 12mts please in total?

add the two together

and that's the price of you electric for the last 12mts

and you say you have a small flat only?

something very wrong here IMHO

+£1800 electric for a flat !!

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Your story is rather disorganised and we don't have any sense of the timeline of events. Eversir has asked you an important question and you haven't dealt with it.

I would like to start out by saying that if this problem has been caused by the fault of the energy supplier, then yes there is probably quite a lot you can do about it if you are prepared to go the distance.

However, I think you need to start off by telling us the story in a chronological way – bullet pointed. Start from the time that you open the account and give us the sequence of events in chronological order with the month and the date for each event.

You say that they failed to update their records with meter readings. Have you got evidence of this?

When I spoke to them a long time ago and asked why this had suddenly happened, they said it was because they'd realised it when updating systems. I don't have that written anywhere except from a letter I sent to them on 31 March 2014.

Evesir's question I answered in response to another person's questions - they did apply the backbilling code as they should have.

Timeline:

• Jan 2012 - 1st Bill (husband's name)
  • Jan 2012 - Jan 2014 - Bills come as normal
  • Feb/March 2014 - Get account put into my name
  • March 2014 - Back bill arrives
  • 31 March 2014 - Complaint letter asking for Energy UK Back Billing Agreement to be applied
  • 08 April 2014 - They write to advise that back billing code has already been applied and that they've set up a payment arrangement of £201/month, sent me a payment card
  • 23 June 2014 - Proposed temporary token payment plan of £10/month as I was unemployed but about to start my new jobs
  • 28 July 2014 - Debt collector visit
  • 30 July 2014 - Letter from me asking EON to consider writing off the debt as my circumstances are unlikely to improve in the future and I have no assets to sell
  • 06 August 2014 - Another debt collector visit
  • 07 August 2014 - EON wanting to spread the debt over 30 months, refusing the £10/month and suggesting prepayment meter
  • August 2014 - Letter from us regarding customer service/bill complaint
  • 05 November 2014 - EON writing to tell us they're applying for a warrant to enter our home to install a prepayment meter
  • 19 December 2014 - Letter from Wescot "further to our recent request" (that we never made) for a paypoint barcode confirmation
  • February 2015 - Letter saying they've looked at our financial statement and suggesting £188/month, refusing our offer of £55
  • 24 February 2015 - Sent a response letter to the above questioning accuracy of back bill and offering £65 a month
  • 03 March 2015 - Prepayment meter apparently fitted (I haven't been down to check); above letter e-mailed

There are a few other communications that have happened via e-mail/phone, but I don't have them.

so: Amount of Bill: The original back bill was for £3,291.49, which was then reduced to £1,862.46 after applying the billing code.

and what have you paid them in the last 12mts please in total?

add the two together

and that's the price of you electric for the last 12mts

and you say you have a small flat only?

something very wrong here IMHO

+£1800 electric for a flat !!

In the last 12 months? Not nearly as much as I should have, most likely. From March - February, I've only paid like £350. At the time of the back bill, we were in extra bad straits. I didn't have a job and we were running out of money. Rent got behind, it was a mess.

Then I got a job in June 2014 but wasn't making much, so I was only sending EON like £10-25 or so every time I got paid. But now that I've started earning a little more and am very slowly getting EON figured out a bit, I've sent more. February, for instance, I sent £95. I believe £65 a month would cover usage + a little debt when averaged out over the whole year.

But this debt, assuming it stands which it most likely will, is going to take us years to clear. Unless something happens and I win a lottery I don't play. EON don't like that.

Edited by ptork66

if they applied the back billing reg then they can only go back 12ths

so that gives you your annual usage..yes

which must be more than £1862.46 as you've paid 'something' off during the 12mts

I say that's too high and is not correct

however your readings are the key thing here

prove its wrong.

are you sure they are even reading/changed the right meter!!

dx

and they

The back bill does only go back 12 months, but it covers 2013/14, since that was the 12 months prior to us receiving the bill. Prior to that, I paid the estimated bills we received in full but not necessarily on time.

I think it's way too high, too. We have 1.25/2 bedroom flat, don't have heating on, turn everything off at the plug - and my mother-in-law, who lives in a giant two storey 5 bed house, has lower electricity bills with EON than we do. EON's suggestion was to hire a private electrician, but we can't afford that and I don't know anyone. Rental company doesn't seem keen on having one in either.

The problem with proving it wrong are that I didn't take any readings over that period. I didn't realise that over here it's actually a thing you do that's necessary. I never ever had to read my own meter in the States, so I assumed that the meter reader coming would be enough. So all I have to go on are the like two readings that the meter reader was able to take and the ones I've taken since the back bill came in.

As far as I can tell, they're reading the right meter. But he's hardly ever able to read it anyway, so...

Get records of all your bills, meter readings and payments made. Relying on estimated bills is no good to you. You may have either over or under-paid and need to be sure either way.

Need to explain this backbilling issue fully because there are little bits and pieces fragmented over several posts. Ideally need to know how they justified this recalculated amount. That could be wrong in itself.

dx is spot on - they may be reading someone else's meter. Would say check your meter serial number against the one on your bill, but if they've replaced it you may struggle now. Have a look anyway.

If you dispute the usage, I'd be tempted to turn off all my mains appliances (everything) and see if your meter still registers a consumption over say a few hours. "Creative" wiring in a shared complex isn't totally unheard of. For best results, flick the master switch on your consumer unit - usually a big red one. If energy is still consumed, something is wrong somewhere.

Good morning,

Thanks for the information already on the thread.

I'll be honest and say I've found this slightly difficult to follow from the posts.

But I wanted to give you a general idea of what needs to happen next as you're still unhappy.

It sounds to me like the account has been estimated for some time, we then billed up to date and the back billing code was applied, although I'm slightly unsure for the exact reason. I agree with Eversir, how was this calculated, you can ask us this.

We've then tried to offer payment arrangements to cover ongoing usage and clear the balance over a number of months. We won't have been able to accept your offer as this amount won't have covered the usage, so the account would have fallen further in to debt.

Therefore, as no official arrangement was in place we've installed a pre-payment meter. This sounds like it may have been done on a warrant. This really is a last resort.

We wouldn't write off the whole balance here as energy has been used.

I think you have an all electric property, electric heating can be expensive. Even if you've used minimal heating, how do you heat hot water etc, is it an immersion?

What sort of meter do you have, Economy 7, Economy10 etc. Have we billed you on the correct tariff for the meter type?

We do reply on customers providing meter readings to keep their accounts accurate, as we're only obliged to read meters once every two years.

As the others have said, you need to be looking at your meter, does this match what's on your bills. The meter that's been removed, did you have a note of the serial number and last reads from that meter? Do you still appear to be using a lot of energy even with the new pre-payment meter?

I understand you haven't yet checked the pre-payment meter, I'd advise you to check this meter asap, you'll also need to be topping the meter up. But check the readings the serial number etc.

As you're unhappy with the outcome/dealing of the account you need to contact us and raise a compliant. We have a procedure to follow (this is on the website) you'll then have a complaint manager deal with this and investigate what's actually happened. If there isn't a resolution at this stage it can be passed for review. If we're unable to reach a resolution with you we can issue a deadlock letter and you can go to the Ombudsman, or you can go to them if the complaint is over 56 days old.

Hope this helps a little.

We do reply [rely?] on customers providing meter readings to keep their accounts accurate, as we're only obliged to read meters once every two years.

This is potentially misleading. The energy supplier must inspect a meter at least every two years to assess damage, deterioration and interference. This inspection must include a meter reading also. However the following also applies:

21B.4) The licensee must take all reasonable steps to obtain a meter reading (including any meter reading transmitted electronically from a meter to the licensee or provided by the Customer and accepted by the licensee) for each of its Customers at least once every year.

This paragraph does not apply in relation to any Customer with a Prepayment Meter.

Source: Electricity Act 1989 - Standard Conditions of Electricity Supply Licence

With regard your EON trouble there are number of things to consider.

EON cannot just turn up and install a pre payment meter.

They need a court order for that.

To get a court order they need to start proceedings in the magistrates court.

So did you get notice of a court hearing?

Did you get notice of a court judgement?

Have EON issued or shown you a court order?

If not , EON have no legal authority to remove your existing meter without your written or verbal consent.

Did you give them that or did they circuitously just turn up?

Can you explain what tariff you are on, i.e ECO 7 ( day/night tariff)?

Can you explain what your heating is electric or gas?

Is cooking electric or gas?

How long have you held the EON account?

Do you have a written contract,

or do you have a contract that is verbal, by action by consideration(payment) etc?

When was the contract taken out and has it been amended at anytime by mutual consent?

In what way are EON saying they did not bill.

I,e its not unusual for EON get ECO 7 tariff back to front.

So do you have a clear explain of what went wrong?

Do you have copies of all old electric bills prior to the problem?

Is so look at how many are estimated readings compared with actual readings.

Do you have the meter readings prior to them removing the original meter?

With regard Deadlock letters,

consumers are not obliged legally to use an energy companies complaints procedures, and or the energy Ombudsman.

Now you have stated your complaint started back in 2014,

the Energy Ombudsman has time limits for him to be come engaged

i.e. only after issue of a deadlock letter and no later than 9 months after the issue of the deadlock letter.

However you would need to consider issuing civil county court proceedings against EON

if you believe you have been duped by EON and they are well known for lying to the courts.

You have up to 6 years to commence proceedings in a civil court.

Equally you could do nothing and let EON issue proceedings against you.

However they will properly not issue proceedings now they have you trapped on a pre payment meter.

Two legal cases to read up on in relation to harassment from Debit collectors and energy companies.

Lisa Ferguson v British Gas Trading Ltd [2009]

Christopher Poncelet v npower Ltd I think it was 2010.

EON are well known for circuitously turning up without a magistrates warrant

in an attempt to get you to work with their prepayment meter system.

the make more money from you.

Is anyone in your household venerable or have chronic health conditions?

Don't panic just yet but need to explanation of why EON are back claiming the debit,

is it the consumer underpaying in previous months or withholding sums,

and or did you gave them previous meter readings is it they did not read the meter for over two years

and under estimated the actual consumption during that time?

Hope this helps.

Go through the chronological events and fill in the missing gaps.

The back bill does only go back 12 months, but it covers 2013/14, since that was the 12 months prior to us receiving the bill. Prior to that, I paid the estimated bills we received in full but not necessarily on time.

I think it's way too high, too. We have 1.25/2 bedroom flat, don't have heating on, turn everything off at the plug - and my mother-in-law, who lives in a giant two storey 5 bed house, has lower electricity bills with EON than we do. EON's suggestion was to hire a private electrician, but we can't afford that and I don't know anyone. Rental company doesn't seem keen on having one in either.

The problem with proving it wrong are that I didn't take any readings over that period. I didn't realise that over here it's actually a thing you do that's necessary. I never ever had to read my own meter in the States, so I assumed that the meter reader coming would be enough. So all I have to go on are the like two readings that the meter reader was able to take and the ones I've taken since the back bill came in.

As far as I can tell, they're reading the right meter. But he's hardly ever able to read it anyway, so...