• Tweets

• The brand, which runs 216 shops as well as franchised stores, is looking at ways to save cash.View the full article
    • The latest figures show 4% of Scots were registered as unemployed - a 0.4% drop on the autumn rate.View the full article
    • I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Thulsa vs Halifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6445 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Will be sending initial letter to BOS on 17th, should get there 18th or 19th.

Asking for £2943 back so fingers crossed.

My hopes have been raised as another member got alot of £ back from Halifax.

I live in Scotland so would I be better to claim all back in one claim or go through multiple smaller claims?

Me a dumbass, should have posted this in the RBOS/BOS section!

MOD NOTE: NO WORRIES POST MOVED, AND TITLE DULY AMENDED :)

I am in the same boat as you m8.....i am in Scotland......and am claiming a little over £2000 now......my first claim for 721 plus 39 court fee plus interest is due next wednesday....then once this is done i will chuck in another ...and so on.....

IF YOU FEEL I HAVE HELPED YOU IN REPLYING TO YOUR POST, CAN YOU CLICK ON THE SCALES AND LET ME KNOW

Halifax - Total £2116 - Plus approx £300 in interest plus fees for 3 small claims...settled all within 3 weeks of claim.....Now for the mortgage.....

Clydesdale Bank - Credit Card - Sent Data Protection Act - Awaiting statements

Clydesdale Bank - Current Account - Awaiting statements

k, so you are claiming back £750 each time.

Do you get charged £39 each court fee, and is it paid back if you win?

Also, how did you word your initial letter? Did you ask for £2000 back directly or did you ask for £750 only?

Yeah £39 each claim up to £750 claim......but you put it on your claim details that you are claiming it....ie

claiming £721.55 plus 8 % interest as allowed by county court act, plus fees

All my letters have been for full amount (started at £1968....now over £2000 with latest charges....

The only letter which i made different was Letter Before Action...which stated full amount, then i explained that due to being under Scottish law and to keep the claim to the small claims court, i would be entering 3 seperate claims (not at the same time otherwise they can ask for them to be lumped together ie....once 1st claim is passed, then i will enter 2nd claim etc)

I am still awaiting reply to LBA...but i am prepared for them to query the 3 claims....and my defence would be that since the charges occurred over 60 seperate instances, i can put in 60 seperate claim if necessary, however i am choosing to lump these together into set periods...ie 1st claim is for March 2001 to August 2002....next claim will be for Sept 2002 to etc...

Hope this helps

IF YOU FEEL I HAVE HELPED YOU IN REPLYING TO YOUR POST, CAN YOU CLICK ON THE SCALES AND LET ME KNOW

Halifax - Total £2116 - Plus approx £300 in interest plus fees for 3 small claims...settled all within 3 weeks of claim.....Now for the mortgage.....

Tks for the ifo, I wasn't sure if my first letter should state full amount or not.

Seems like the first letter should.

My subsequent LBA (likely to get that far) will then explain, as you say, that there will be multipe £750 claims totalling up to the full amount (including interest).

Remember....don't put all the claims in at one time, otherwise the bank could ask the court for them to be 'lumped' together, which would take it out of the small claims, which means you could be liable for costs etc....

However, all you have to say is that ...strictly speaking....you could put in each seperate charge as a single claim.......

Need a few questions answered, claiming back £3000 (in Scotland):

1. If I claim 4 times, £750 each time, this will cost 4*£39 (£158).

No way of getting the bank to pay this if I win?

2. Is it an absolite certainty that in Scotland I can only claim back for 5yrs instead of 6 as in England?

Got letter from BOS saying "due to the naturs of my complaint, they have passed it onto their Customer Complaints department".

This was after y Preliminary Approach for Payment letter.

I'll wait for the 14day deadline to pass then, if I hear nothing more from them, I'll issue the LBA.

Hi Scotia

Was wondering how your claim was going - think I am up to about £5000 from the bank of Scotland. I live in England but my account is held in Scotland so have been reliably informed I must claim through the Scottish Courts System. A lawyer friend of mine (albeit in English law) recently told me that putting in multiple claims to keep below the £750 limit would be an abuse of process?! Have you heard anything to that effect?

Thanks

X

there is no problem with putting in multiple claims, as long as you dont put them in all at once, otherwise the bank could ask for them to be heard as one case, which would take it out of the small claims court......i m on my first of 3 claims, and each fee (£39) will be added to claim, so that i get it back...

'abuse of process' ?? if i wanted, i could put in a claim for each seperate charge.....but i am trying to minimise losses by lumping them together, so if the bank want to play funny buggers then so could we......

and yes...its 5 years for the statute of limitations in scotland........

yeah....if u read about the forum it actually tells you what to put on the court papers...something along the line of:

'The pursuer claims from the defender the sum of £xx.xx with interest on that sum at the rate of 8% annually from the date of service (together with the expenses of bringing the action'

I think it's quite ironic that the court fee is £39, which is the same as the halifax charges i am claiming back......i felt like saying to the court, that at least with the court fee, i feel i am getting value for money....lol

• 2 weeks later...

Well, heard nothing from BOS since my letter asking for money back since their standard letter saying they had passed it to Customer Complaints dept.

I'll be sending my LBA on Friday.

I'm giving them a little more than the 14 days before the LBA to take into account the recent 3 Public/Bank Holidays etc.

Just realised, my thread reads vs Halifax. Could an admin rename it to Thulsa vs BOS?

• 2 weeks later...

Got a letter today saying, amongst other things:

1. I'm sure you appreciate, we incur costs... yada yada yada... and we believe it fair to pass these onto our customers.

2. We clearly outline our backing charges and are committed to complying with the Banking Cod...

3. Ultimately it's your responsibility to manage your accounts, but as a gesture of goodwill we'll refund £75 of the charges in a full and final settlement of your complaint on this account.

Erm, no. £700 shortfall there.

They also say they have tried to contact me but don't have any phone details, which is utter crap as they have called me many times before.

Monday's deadline is getting closer.

Remember....don't put all the claims in at one time, otherwise the bank could ask the court for them to be 'lumped' together, which would take it out of the small claims, which means you could be liable for costs etc....

However, all you have to say is that ...strictly speaking....you could put in each seperate charge as a single claim.......

When you say at the same time, do you mean that we should wait until a case has been heard, or merely served? I can understand the point if I put in 4 on the same day, but what if I put each one in after the previous one has been acknowledged?

It's very confusing, knowing how best to proceed without taking months over claiming back a significant amount.

Bank of Scotland - £4000+ returned. Scottish resident, scottish accounts, but it's Halifax Bank of Scotland now, so took 'em to court in Halifax. One small claims, one defence filed, one refund of all charges + interest! Done and dusted.

Next - Capital One :D

"They also say they have tried to contact me but don't have any phone details, which is utter crap as they have called me many times before."

It's amazing how efficient they can be if you owe THEM money isn't it.!!

;o)

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

Called the BOS as they had asked me to do so in letter that arrived a few days ago.

Told them I didn't accept their offer and they upped it to £250, but that was their maximum offer.

Told them I woudln't accept it and would proceed with court claim unless I received the full amount by Monday 22nd.

Should I tell BOS that I am going to go through Small Claims for £750 each time before I do it, or should I just do it?

If I tell them before hand, and they see it's gonna cost them more to defend for each case rather than one big case, they may decide to fully pay up before the first case would actually go to court.

• 4 weeks later...
Took my time but put in my first Small Claim via Dumfries Sheriff Court today.

Respond date for BOS is 10th August and possible hearing date is 17th August.

that seems a long timeframe? my return date was 3.5 weeks after serving the claim and the hearing date (tomorrow) a week later.

Bank of Scotland round 1: £740 + costs settled, still sore over the 8% grrr

Bank of Scotland round 2: £629 +101.15 interest +£39 costs settled.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6445 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks