Who owns my gas meter and who should I pay to get it moved?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3341 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I moved into my house last May and I have finally got around to addressing this.

I need my gas meter moved as it is inside the house at floor level and I am having to place an obstruction between it and my 19 month old curious daughter!

It appears to be a very old model and quite large.

I have contacted my supplier (1st Utility) who have said they can only move it a small distance along the same wall.

They gave me a link to a website (NGN) which states that they can move it outside but they only appear to do part of the job and I have to get a gas safe installer to do the other part!

Surely I can get one engineer to do it all?

Am I within my rights then to say I don't want the meter and to buy my own and let a gas safe engineer install it where I want it?

Who's meter is it and can I tell them to come and remove it from my property at no cost to me?

Thanks.

Redletter

'I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires!'

Is this your own or rented property ?

Is it possible to have a cupboard built round the unit ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Is this your own or rented property ?

Is it possible to have a cupboard built round the unit ?

Hi CitizenB. Thanks for your reply.

It is my own property.

I considered building a cupboard around it but I would prefer it moved as I plan to refit the kitchen and I hoped to put the fridge freezer in the spot where the meter is now.

Redletter

'I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires!'

Well it does look as though you can have your supplier quote for the whole job. Some of the work MUST be done by them but you could get someone to quote for the other stuff if you can find a qualified person to do it cheaper.

BCOBS

The utilities companies get a bit arsey about disconnecting the gas from their side of the meter as this means turning it off elsewhere and then purging the pipes when the new/moved meter reconnected. If you are having any appliances serviced then it would be worthwhile getting them done at the same time so the internal bits can get signed off by your engineer and theirs isnt hanging about waiting.

You did say your meter was quite old! Did you read the guide above properly I noticed this paragraphs "You won't have to pay if your supplier needs to move your meter as part of a programme to replace old meters". It may be worthwhile finding out when the meter was installed.