shoplifted from TK Maxx

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3342 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I shoplifted from tk-maxx ,

the police were not involved ,

I did not sign anything ,

all that happened was they took back the product ,

took my name, address and D.O.B,

I have seen your advice to other people telling them not to pay as the company got the goods back so nothing was lost on their part,

however the security guard told me that they would not be able to resell the product because the plastic case it was in was broken,

should I pay the rlp because the company can't resell it or what ?

The product was only £5 and

I'm only 17 so can't really afford to pay the £100s of pounds they demand,

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi and welcome to CAG.

I have moved your post from the end of an existing thread to one of its own. You need do nothing as this is purely administrative.

On to your issue. In the event that the goods are not suitable for resale then the store and ONLY the store could sue you for that cost plus a small admin fee and court costs. Anything else cannot be charged for as they are not allowed to profit from you.

The bigger isue at the moment is your age. As you are 17 and IF you still live with your parents then RLP may send a letter to them but ONLY after warning you that they may do so. They cannot contact anyone as yet until after they have contacted you.

You could ignore RLP and then wait for the letter to arrive stating that if you do not respond, they will contact your parents.

The other option is to take a more pro active action by responding to the first letter with:

" I acknowledge no liability to you nor any company you claim to represent." followed with, "I hereby deny you any permission to contact any third party in this matter."

That should stop them contacting your parents however, if you live away from home or have already told your parents then ignore me as well :madgrin:

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi and welcome to CAG.

I have moved your post from the end of an existing thread to one of its own. You need do nothing as this is purely administrative.

On to your issue. In the event that the goods are not suitable for resale then the store and ONLY the store could sue you for that cost plus a small admin fee and court costs. Anything else cannot be charged for as they are not allowed to profit from you.

The bigger isue at the moment is your age. As you are 17 and IF you still live with your parents then RLP may send a letter to them but ONLY after warning you that they may do so. They cannot contact anyone as yet until after they have contacted you.

You could ignore RLP and then wait for the letter to arrive stating that if you do not respond, they will contact your parents.

The other option is to take a more pro active action by responding to the first letter with:

" I acknowledge no liability to you nor any company you claim to represent." followed with, "I hereby deny you any permission to contact any third party in this matter."

That should stop them contacting your parents however, if you live away from home or have already told your parents then ignore me as well :madgrin:

And you're sure this means they cannot contact my parents ?

The reason RLP contact parents is because there has been no contact between the 'offender' and them

so they assume the offender is a 'vulnerable person'

I have chased RLP and the ICO to find out the true position but that was a waste of time

however, I did email Liberty and they came back with the answer that if no contact is made then they have the right to contact parents

as you would be seen as a 'minor' in the eyes of the law and still under their responsibility.

By sending them a letter, you have removed their right to contact anyone as you are the Data Subject as you have that right.

Will it stop them.

No idea as this is a recent thing and we have had no feedback from others advised to do the same.

It 'should' stop as otherwise they will be in breach of the Data Protection Act.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

The reason RLP contact parents is because there has been no contact between the 'offender' and them so they assume the offender is a 'vulnerable person' I have chased RLP and the ICO to find out the true position but that was a waste of time however, I did email Liberty and they came back with the answer that if no contact is made then they have the right to contact parents as you would be seen as a 'minor' in the eyes of the law and still under their responsibility.

By sending them a letter, you have removed their right to contact anyone as you are the Data Subject as you have that right.

Will it stop them. No idea as this is a recent thing and we have had no feedback from others advised to do the same. It 'should' stop as otherwise they will be in breach of the Data Protection Act.

But if I just pay it, it will deffinatly just go away ?

No guarantees of anything. Theoretically it should go away. While the decision to pay or not is a matter for you to decide have a good read around before making that decision

No guarantees of anything. Theoretically it should go away. While the decision to pay or not is a matter for you to decide have a good read around before making that decision

I don't want to pay it but I will just to make sure my family don't find out

I never like the idea of paying RLP

it simply funds them to do the same to someone else..

do you want someone else to go through this?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I never like the idea of paying RLP

it simply funds them to do the same to someone else..

do you want someone else to go through this?

dx

Of course not and I know where you are coming from but if it means no one else is going to find out I will

I am sure you have heard the old phrase, "A problem shared is a problem halved." IF you live in an abusive househole I can understand your reluctance to 'fess up' but if you live in a relatively stable home, your parents will be annoyed and angry with you but you could then direct them here to see what to do.

There are quite a few of us here that have done our research and found that any claim by RLP have no basis in law and they cannot even take you to court

I am sure you have heard the old phrase, "A problem shared is a problem halved." IF you live in an abusive househole I can understand your reluctance to 'fess up' but if you live in a relatively stable home, your parents will be annoyed and angry with you but you could then direct them here to see what to do.

There are quite a few of us here that have done our research and found that any claim by RLP have no basis in law and they cannot even take you to court

but the shop could because the security guard said they couldn't resell the product as the plastic casing it was broken, so I would rather just get it over and done with

Never pay RLP. Ever. They are NOT part of the legal system at all. They are a private company looking to get money out of you for nothing. They cannot touch you. All they can do is send letters. Thats it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

but the shop could because the security guard said they couldn't resell the product as the plastic casing it was broken, so I would rather just get it over and done with

The shop wont do anything. Theyve had their chance. Stop worrying and start listening to people who know what they are talking about.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Never pay RLP. Ever. They are NOT part of the legal system at all. They are a private company looking to get money out of you for nothing. They cannot touch you. All they can do is send letters. Thats it.

But is their a way to stop them send a letter to my parents ? That's what I'm worried about and it's the only reason I'm considering paying

But is their a way to stop them send a letter to my parents ? That's what I'm worried about and it's the only reason I'm considering paying

Yes. Send them the letter then they MUST address it to you. They cannot address it to anyone else. Slow down, stop panicking and read the info already given. I know its very scary and makes you nervous, but youre in good hands here.

Yes. Send them the letter then they MUST address it to you. They cannot address it to anyone else. Slow down, stop panicking and read the info already given. I know its very scary and makes you nervous, but youre in good hands here.

Okay, thank you

Yeah but he only says that should, but with a company like rlp it would surprise me if the broke the data protection act

Jackie and co are stupid, but theyre not that stupid.

Yes

Yes. It will be tough for you to ignore them but trust us. Its the only way to get eid of them

May I blow CAGs trumpet here. I have seen other sites refer people to CAG as we have the knowledge. I take a personal interest in this matter, not because I shoplifted (which I did as a youth) but because the antics of RLP (and their ilk) use the lack of knowledge regarding civil law to their own advantage-to fleece unsuspecting people.

We never say it is OK to steal as obviously it isn't but when you get the first letter, it will be full of 'mistruths' (too polite to say 'LIES') as although they could claim for the damage, they cannot claim for their security costs nor the uniforms, nor the CCTV (you get where this is going) I do recommend that you complain to Nottingham Trading Standards regarding the letter as it is misleading and against the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading regulations 2008 as amended 1st October 2014.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/343753/bis-14-1430-misleading-and-aggressive-selling-rights-consumer-protection-amendment-regulations-2014-guidance.pdf

As for Primark. As previously mentioned, it is they and ONLY they that can instigate court action and to the best of my knowledge, they haven't done so. In fact, according to RLPs website, the last court case was nearly 3 years ago after they got a serious slapping from the judge. (this wasn't Primark BTW)

While this won't go away anytime soon ( I would say about 12 months) and you will get a few more letters (which give no identifying info on them) before RLP pass this on to their pet DCA of the month who have even less influence than RLP. You will know it is coming to an end when you get the letter from the DCA saying that they will pass the 'so called debt' back to RLP with the recommendation that legal action be commenced. Absolute bowlarks. It's just sent to scare you.

Once you realise it is just a numbers game, you can even start to enjoy their missives as they get more desperate.

Sorry for the long post. I just felt you needed to see the full picture.