• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Getting started - how to find out what i am owed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3314 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Firstly, I'd like to thank the creators of this site, which has been very useful to me.

Quite some years ago with help through this site, I managed to claim back over £5000 pounds taken in bank charges by my bank hsbc.

At the time I was young had no responsibilities and often went overdrawn on my account hence the back charges.

Also around this time, probably 15 years ago I met with the bank to dIscuss ways of sorting out my money problems.

It was decided that I would consolidate my debts by taking out a loan.

I subsequently over a period of years went though this process a number of times, reconsolidating my debts,

loan included with yet another loan.

All of these loans had ppi attached to them.

i remember clearly being told that the ppi was essential to the authorisation of the loan.

I was reasonably secure in a permanent full time job, so would not have taken the insurance unless I felt I had to.

Does this constitue miss selling?

Do I have a case?

A friend of mine used the company Gladstone brooks to claim his back, but I thought I would have a bash myself rather than feed what I see to be nasty little industry.

This all seems to be a lot more complicated than the bank charge case.

Not sure where to start at present. All this has happened through a single account so hopefully it is possible to come to a reasonable figure and get things started. Are there templates etc available for corresponding with the bank?

Lots of questions, but for now thanks for reading

Yours thankfully

Rubberball

HSBC managed loan... Youch! Smells of it...

Stay away from gladstones... the more you find out you are owed for PPI the more they take...

First things first... Is to SAR HSBC... Get statements.

The Manager,

Service Quality Team,

HSBC Bank plc,

Arlington Business Centre,

Millshaw Park Lane,

Leeds,

LS11 0PP.

Or just take it to your local branch and ask them to forward it though their internal mail

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

As fkofilee has advised, send SAR to HSBC and obtain statements and possibly copies of the contracts - once you have these, you can use one of the spread sheets to work out how much you are owed. Then it is simply a case of sending a copy of the spread sheet, with the complaint form from the FOS website , to HSBC and ask for your money back.

Subject Access Request link

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387306-Full-Subject-Access-Request-**Updated-January-2015**

Spread sheets link

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?330996-Latest-Spreadsheets-PPI-Claims-and-Charges-Claims-Dec-2011

Then go to the FOS website for their PPI complaint/refund form

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

your reclaim will be £1000's as the loans refinanced each other.

please never use a CMC, you can lose upto 50% of your money through fees/% of claim/VAT/HMRC 20% tax

easy to do it yourself

fc

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the quick replies, this site it amazing.

Reading through the wording of the SAR.

Are hsbc really going to send me a copy of every statement, agreement, overdraft change request etc since I had my account?

I've had an account with hsbc since I was a kid, being 35 that's like 17 years worth of statements.

I assume it is sent in the form of a dvd / cd otherwise Poor postie could get a hernia.

Thanks again

Rubberball

Thanks for the quick replies, this site it amazing.

Reading through the wording of the SAR.

Are hsbc really going to send me a copy of every statement, agreement, overdraft change request etc since I had my account?

I've had an account with hsbc since I was a kid, being 35 that's like 17 years worth of statements.

I assume it is sent in the form of a dvd / cd otherwise Poor postie could get a hernia.

Thanks again

Rubberball

We have long been convinced that ALL banks retain this information in their archives in one form or another. However, when people started to reclaim their bank charges, they started to claim that they only retained data for 6 years. Some banks still do send out data older than 6 years - some don't. So at the very least you should receive 6 - 8 years. If you believe for any reason they do have older data, then you can push for it.

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ah. This is one of the reasons I've put off doing this before.

All the loans which had ppi attached would have been well over the 6 year mark. Does that leave me effectively snookered by the passage of time?

Not at all... You can still reclaim... HSBC may still have statements going back that far

We could do with some help from you.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

They may do, but I wouldn't imagine they would want to share them with me :lol:

Is the objective of the SAR to get a complete history of the account?

I'm thinking that, somewhere tucked away, I may have a couple of the old loan agreements and possibly the odd statement or two.

Would it be worth trying to dig them out?

I've moved house a couple of times since then so it might be a stretch. reckon it's worth the hassle?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, still not sent this off, life always gets in the way as usual.

Could someone confirm that the cheque for £10 should be made out to hsbc Plc and not anyone more specific?

Thanks folks

Hsbc

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Ive received a reply from hsbc. Not what I expected at all.

they have questioned the logic of my subject access request,

stating that it they hold data in any formats and that will will receive lots of information that isn't relevant to whatever it is I'm trying to achieve.

They have provided a copy of their form "Request to undertake a search under the data protection act 1998 for personal information on the individual named below"

for me to complete, sign and return to continue the data request. They unsurprisingly have kept hold of the £10 cheque.

They have also provided the details of an internal ppi complaints department, should this cover the details of my request, see below.

Hsbc bank Plc

Ppi complaints

Po box 6177

Coventry

CV3 9HP

Question is, should I complete their form and continue down the SAR line or go through this ppi complaints team?

Does anyone have any experience of them?

Cheers folks

As an aside, it's ironic that the lovely Gladstone brookes appear as an advert at the bottom of the page as I type. I shall resist the urge for now!

no CMC have anymore clout than you or I.

you need whatever info you can get by whatever method.

dx

and they

I would think a Failure to comply letter to them and threat of complaint to the Information Commisionner if they do nto comply woudl be in order.

They have no right to "ask" or dissuade you from your right to a full disclosure under the data protection act.

Maybe a line or two like

"Thank you for your letter dated xxx, the contents of which are noted.

The reasons you think I might be making a SAR are irrelevant and I expect you to comply with the regulations inside the statutory time frame.

I am under no obligation to fill in your form, my request complies with the regulations. You are also satisfied with my identity and just to remove all doubt, include a copy of my council tax bill and driverslicence/passport. I view your letter as an attempt to be obstructive. I also note that you have retained the statutory fee I enclosed with my orignal request.

IF my information has not arrived to my address by the expiry of the 40 day period which for your information is XXX, I shall refer this to the information commissioner without any further correspondence to yourselves. This letter should now also be treated as a FORMAL COMPLAINT!

I would be tempted to send that reply to their head office, enclose a copy of the documents mentioned and also enclose a copy of your orignal request AND their reply. I would address it to the Company Secretary and keep proof of postage and delivery for the ICO if you need it later. HSBC will try and get you to agree to pick up the information from a branch local to you. Up to you if you wish to do this. Make sure you take a car :)

I do have a HSBC SAR thread of mine somewhere..

aaah here it is http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?424164-SabreSheep-Vs-HSBC-*FlexiLoan-PPI*&p=4531574#post4531574

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Pointless being argumentative and sabre rattling for the sake of it. They won't take any notice anyway.

The reason they do this is because there are so many people who submit SARS when all they really want to know is whether they have had PPI.

If you really want everything they hold on you then I suggest you just go back and say that, reminding them of the 40 day time limit.

You need to think about what you are actually hoping to achieve though. It is really not likely that the SAR is going to throw up anything of use to you and you'll probably end up with a load of envelopes full of cr*p. You would waste less time if you just put in a complaint.

I disagree.

It is worth having ALL the data you can on and store it as more things come out of the wood work. Knowledge is power. And Usefull things can come out of it.

The complaint to Head office will be cascaded down to the correct team with a "Comply or else"

The Information Commisioner DOES take action on failure to provide SARS

ALSO the complaint will be required before any action is taken.

There exists another route to get compliance and jthat is via the county court, but it rarely if ever comes to that.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Would agree with SabreSheep - information is power. You have the right for this information so get it - might show other issues - eg if you had you have a packaged account which could lead to a claim.