Brothers insurance quotes doubled because not working due to disability

2ltr16valve
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3336 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Just want some advise.

My brother has been unable to work for over 10 years due to lung disease, he is not going to be able to ever return to work due to this.

He has recently got a transit van as his son has a motorbike and he wants to drive him to tracks so he can use it

My brother was quoted just over £500 for insurance for sdp use, stating he was medically retired (aged 35), the sales person said he can't be retired at that age unless he gets a pension ! He stated he was unable to work due to lung disease, the sales agent said "do you receive benefits" to which he agreed.

She then stated she would have to put "receiving benefits due to disability" ........ She then quoted £1090 !!

When asked why the increase she couldn't explain it.

He also asked for confirmation in writing of both quotes to which they refused to do.

I think this is in breach of the equality act, being receiving benefits or a pension is essentially one and the same.

How can there be any risk difference ?

Where does he go with this ?

Ty in advance.

I believe this isn't about equality. His disability makes him more of a risk and therefor insurance is higher.

It like life insurance, it's higher if you are a smoker. Its higher if you have had cancer. Its higher if you have diabetes. It's not discrimination, its risk assessment.

It's also his choice, he can take it or leave it.

Has he informed the dvla of his medical status? If the insurance os that worried then the dvla might be too. Lung disease can cause excessive bouts of uncontrollable coughing which could affect driving as well as other problems.

Lots of reasons why unfortunately. I dont think you would get anywhere with disability and equality but I'm sure other will be along to confirm.

I believe this isn't about equality. His disability makes him more of a risk and therefor insurance is higher.

It like life insurance, it's higher if you are a smoker. Its higher if you have had cancer. Its higher if you have diabetes. It's not discrimination, its risk assessment.

Has he informed the dvla of his medical status? If the insurance os that worried then the dvla might be too. Lung disease can cause excessive bouts of uncontrollable coughing which could affect driving as well as other problems.

Lots of reasons why unfortunately. I dont think you would get anywhere with disability and equality but I'm sure other will be along to confirm.

Why utter crad !!

It's not a notifiable condition https://www.gov.uk/current-medical-guidelines-dvla-guidance-for-professionals-conditions-p-to-r#respiratory-disorders

I suffer with the same condition and was a bus driver until I was repeatedly hospitised.

Why would him receiving benefits with copd or receiving a pension with copd change any risk ?

Well I have 2 notifiable conditions that I have had to declare to DVLA and as long as they have placed no restrictions on my licence my Insurance Co are happy and have not loaded my premiums.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's a simple 'computer says no' situation.

The pleb at the insurance co has ticked a box on the risk assessment form that in their view increases the risk.

Go to a decent insurance broker is my advice.

I agree bud

Money problem is, they all do the same thing ! Lol. He's tried all 3 comparison sites with no luck.

He's got 8 years ncb on his car as well.

Why utter crad !!

It's not a notifiable condition https://www.gov.uk/current-medical-guidelines-dvla-guidance-for-professionals-conditions-p-to-r#respiratory-disorders

I suffer with the same condition and was a bus driver until I was repeatedly hospitised.

Why would him receiving benefits with copd or receiving a pension with copd change any risk ?

it clearly states it is notifiable IF has any of the associated symptoms. We haven't been told if he has.

I'd imagine if you're telling your insurance company you are too ill to work they're probably thinking you will not be as safe a driver as someone who is well enough to work. Seems reasonable.

Bit like if you're an actor you pay more, not because they think actors drive badly, but because there is a greater risk of the vehicle being damaged.