Death of policyholder mid term

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3358 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning all,

Just wanted to put this question to people to confirm what is the normal process.

What do most motor insurers do when the main policyholder dies part way through a policy year but there are named drivers on the policy.

For example, policyholder dies mid January but the policy was not due to end until the end of April. Insurers were informed of the death the day after and stated that they would auto cancel the cover in 30 days and charge for time on cover. They also agreed to issue proof of bonus for the first named driver on the policy. They have now back tracked on the bonus less than a week before the end of the 30 days stating they will only issue bonus to the named driver if the reinsure with them.

My understanding from when I worked in the motor insurance industry was that the vast majority of insurers would allow the policy to continue until the renewal date with the named driver bumped up to main driver status and then insist on a new policy being entered into at renewal. Most insurers will also extend full no claims to the named driver at this point.

To be honest this is such a major hassle at a difficult time I wish I had not informed the insurers of the main drivers death.

What are peoples opinion. The insurers are Elephant on this occasion.

Thanks

Difficult… not informing them could render the policy invalid perhaps, especially if it the main policy holder… but yes, I would also be inclined to keep quiet… such a hassle at a time when you really don't need it. Dookist

most companies allow the named driver to reinsure and give a full NCD for the first year. Very few offer a NCD guarantee after this. It is rotten when a spouse drives their other half's car for years and years (sometimes having their own company car to boot) and then suddenly find they are treated as having just passed their test when they have to get their own insurance for the first time in many years.

This has been the case for a while now, computers make it easier for them to cross-check things but in certain areas they behave as though information doesnt exist.