Unpaid fare notice but NO sign from First Great Western - what to do??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3369 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there,

I hope you lovely people can help and offer some advice...

I received an 'unpaid fare notice' from First Great Western exactly 7 months ago

because I didn't have my young persons rail card with me (it was stolen on the train).

They treated me badly and the experience was very distressing (lady made me cry),

I disputed the notice within the 10 days given,

and sent a long letter as well as all my original documents to their address (tickets, notice, etc.),

asking to be pardoned from the fine due to the bad treatment

and the fact that the fine was too large and unreasonable for the situation

(there was theft involved, and the treatment was bad).

The problem that I have is that they have not been in touch,

I have not received any letters, and they have not even informed me that they received my letter (it was sent via recorded delivery).

Unfortunately (stupidly) I didn't scan anything and I have lost the letter I wrote as it was so long ago. I only have proof of ticket purchase on email.

What should I do?

Can they prosecute me later, even though I had no warning or letters?

Is they haven't done anything within 6 months,

doesn't that legally mean that time has expired for them to prosecute?

It was all sent to a Reading address that was on the notice.

I wish that they would have at least sent a letter in response, saying something to put my mind at ease.

Thank you very much

if you have received nothing to date

and they obv know you address

I would say they have decided to drop the case.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Can they prosecute me later, even though I had no warning or letters?

Is they haven't done anything within 6 months,

doesn't that legally mean that time has expired for them to prosecute?

I agree that it may be that FGW have decided not to pursue this, but it does not mean that it is time expired yet.

Technically, the TOC have six months from the date of commission of the alleged offence to lay the information before a Court and apply for a Summons. The Court may well be a busy one and perhaps cannot give a listed hearing date immediately, so may set the soonest available date in the future.

As an example:

Alleged offence 30th June - summons must be applied for by 29th December - soonest Court date available perhaps in early March so could be listed as much as 9 months after event before a first hearing is set

In the interests of justice the rail company and the Courts should always strive to do things much quicker than that and usually do so, but it can be a slow process at busy Court offices especially since so many satellite Courts have been closed thereby putting pressure on all other listing officers.

Thanks for your replies both! At least it helps ease my worry a little.

I'm also guessing they have dropped the case, but I think it's really poor practice that they have not sent me a letter or any form of communication telling me this...they also haven't sent me a letter saying anything about whether I still owe it, or if they have decided to file a court order against me...basically nothing in 7 months...very odd!