A Seminar - "Dealing with Rogue Bailiffs and Protecting People in Debt"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3372 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On 29th April 2015 the very popular Public Policy Exchange are holding a one day seminar entiltled:

Dealing with Rogue Bailiffs and Protecting People in Debt. The 'subject' matter is very interesting indeed.

http://www.publicpolicyexchange.co.uk/events/FD28-PPE

http://www.publicpolicyexchange.co.uk/media/events/flyers/FD28-PPE_flyer.pdf

Company Name PUBLIC POLICY EXCHANGE LIMITED

Company Number 07350384

Company Status Active - Accounts Filed

Director(s) - Vashantsing Gokhool

Current Active Appointments 6

Dissolved Companies 1

Date of Birth 17/07/1964

Function Director

Appointment Date 19/08/10

Company Incorporation Date 19/08/10

Turnover -

Net Worth -£115,125

Credit Rating 51

The Seminar is interesting given that the subjects being discussed include:

Examining the new bailiff Reforms introduced in April 2014 and whether they have provided any more Protection against Aggressive Bailiffs.

Investgate how to comply with the existing Code of Conduct

Consider the 'National Standards for Enforcement Agents' document and it's ability to be an effective national guidance tool

Explore ways of improving accountability of bailiff firms (via a licensing system)

Debate the potential contribution of an Independent Regulator to oversee agents agents

Is there anything said about the speakers presenting the event ?

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Examining the new bailiff Reforms introduced in April 2014 and whether they have provided any more Protection against Aggressive Bailiffs.

Consider the 'National Standards for Enforcement Agents' document and it's ability to be an effective national guidance tool

Explore ways of improving accountability of bailiff firms (via a licensing system)

Debate the potential contribution of an Independent Regulator to oversee agents agents

BA do you have any idea who the speakers will be?

Just for info..........The seminar is not by 'invitation', those interested will need to register with the event organiser.

It is bad enough when bailiffs give incorrect information to debtors but much worse is when 'advisers' give incorrect information on websites.

I have had the misfortune to read one website this afternoon where this particular Seminar is being advertised. The website owner is stating that he had been 'invited' to attend and that his fee will be £146 and furthermore; that he is looking to use the seminar to raise suggested amendments to the current legislation and more serious, that he has:

'Made an Amendment Slip to be put forward at the 12 month review of the regulations'

Firstly, there is no such document as an 'Amendment Slip'. Complete nonsense.

Secondly, any 'amendments' to Legislation may only be made by a government official and certainly not by a person who write wills for a living!!

Thirdly, the government have pledged that they will be reviewing the legislation at one year, three years and five years. Meetings with various interested groups/organisations have been taking place with the Ministry of Justice since November and meetings are on frequent basis. Changes will be made to legislation if it is felt appropriate and I would expect this to happen rather soon (there are very good reason why which I will address later).

The fees for attending are pretty steep and 'presently' if I was going to attend....I would expect to be charged £395 (or less for early registration).

The fee of £146 is applicable to a person/company that is a 'Local Voluntary Community Organisation'.This will writer would not qualify as being 'local' and certainly would not qualify as a 'voluntary organisation'.

BA do you have any idea who the speakers will be?

Just for info..........The seminar is not by 'invitation', those interested will need to register with the event organiser.

Invitations would be made to Speakers (and of course they would not be charged a fee).

Everyone else wishing to attend would need to register. As I understand it.....speakers have not yet been appointed.

It is bad enough when bailiffs give incorrect information to debtors but much worse is when 'advisers' give incorrect information on websites.

I have had the misfortune to read one website this afternoon where this particular Seminar is being advertised. The website owner is stating that he had been 'invited' to attend and that his fee will be £146 and furthermore; that he is looking to use the seminar to raise suggested amendments to the current legislation and more serious, that he has:

'Made an Amendment Slip to be put forward at the 12 month review of the regulations'

Firstly, there is no such document as an 'Amendment Slip'. Complete nonsense.

Secondly, any 'amendments' to Legislation may only be made by a government official and certainly not by a person who write wills for a living!!

Thirdly, the government have pledged that they will be reviewing the legislation at one year, three years and five years. Meetings with various interested groups/organisations have been taking place with the Ministry of Justice since November and meetings are on frequent basis. Changes will be made to legislation if it is felt appropriate and I would expect this to happen rather soon (there are very good reason why which I will address later).

The fees for attending are pretty steep and 'presently' if I was going to attend....I would expect to be charged £395 (or less for early registration).

The fee of £146 is applicable to a person/company that is a 'Local Voluntary Community Organisation'.This will writer would not qualify as being 'local' and certainly would not qualify as a 'voluntary organisation'.

.....the category 'Local Voluntary Community Organisation' (which as you say does not qualify a will writer) is given to be at a cost of £156 per person, discounted to £140 per person if two delgates from the same organisation enrol, (both figures are exclusive of VAT) the actual cost(s) would be £187.20 or £168 repectively yet we read 'My invitation is only £146 for the day'.

Is this seminar kosher or a money spinner for the organiser?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Is this seminar kosher or a money spinner for the organiser?

It depends on the speakers really, it is not going to change anything, although if the right people are there it can be informative and enable the various sections of the enforcment and advice sectors work better together. If not it can be a bit like a knitting circle discussion.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

[

Looking at the above items on the agenda, I would comment as follows:

Examining the new Bailiff Reforms

This subject could be discussed relatively easily.

Investigate how to comply with the existing Code of Conduct

Not sure what this can refer to. What Code of Conduct?

Consider the 'National Standards for Enforcement Agents' document and it's ability to be an effective national guidance tool.

Interesting subject given that by the time of the Seminar it is very much hoped that revisions will have been made to the current National Standards. It is planned that the new Standards will then be endorsed by all groups etc that had been consulted.

When the new legislation was introduced the Ministry of Justice announced that they would not be considering a Licensing body.

Again, this probably comes under the same answer as above. Furthermore, the government have made clear that they will not fund any regulatory body.

Is there anything said about the speakers presenting the event ?

Given the subject matter (and the cost) it is inevitable that those attending would expect to have a speaker from the Ministry of Justice (in respect of the bailiff regulations) and a senior representative possibly from the Department of Communities Local Government (DCLG) regarding the subject of debt/council tax etc.

However, given the date of the seminar (29th April), representatives from MOJ and DCLG would not be able to attend given that the date would be in the Purdah period. This is the period between the dissolution of Parliament (on 30th March) and polling day (7th May).

During Purdah central and local government departments are prevented from making announcements about any administrative or legislative changes which could be seen to be advantageous to any candidates or parties in the forthcoming election, or which may commit any incoming new administration to policies which it wouldn't support.

I would assume that the organisers were unaware of this.

If any amendments are to be made to legislation regarding bailiff regulations this would need to be completed before the Purdah period on 30th March.

.....the category 'Local Voluntary Community Organisation' (which as you say does not qualify a will writer) is given to be at a cost of £156 per person, discounted to £140 per person if two delgates from the same organisation enrol, (both figures are exclusive of VAT) the actual cost(s) would be £187.20 or £168 repectively yet we read 'My invitation is only £146 for the day'.

PS.......click 'register your place' for details to the above mentioned costs.

I think it should be made clear that this is ot a governmental endorsed discussion , the kind that precedes a white paper for instance or amendments to existing regulations, it is merely a discussion platform, so no "amendments slips" will be needed.

I think that there has been an embarrassing misconception and the usual suspect has sought to build his part.

It could nevertheless be useful in terms of advice agencies and EA understanding each others point of view and encouraging better communications.

Because the seminar is during the Purdah period speakers from central or local government would not be able to attend so this may affect attendance figures.

In fact, on a personal basis, if I wished to do so I would be able to register for the lower price of £140 given that at the end of this month we should have our new phone system in place and all calls will be free.

However, given the date of the seminar (29th April), representatives from MOJ and DCLG would not be able to attend given that the date would be in the Purdah period. This is the period between the dissolution of Parliament (on 30th March) and polling day (7th May).

During Purdah central and local government departments are prevented from making announcements about any administrative or legislative changes which could be seen to be advantageous to any candidates or parties in the forthcoming election, or which may commit any incoming new administration to policies which it wouldn't support.

If any amendments are to be made to legislation regarding bailiff regulations this would need to be completed before the Purdah period on 30th March.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purdah_%28pre-election_period%29

I've no doubt that the organiser will offer free slots to prominent stakeholders like the CAB, CIVEA and MoJ but the whole thing seems very poorly timed given all the content for the promised annual review would have been submitted and dealt with.

What with the steep attendance fee I will not be bothering.

The time & money spent on something like this would be much better used involving the authorities that have the clout to help. Already on here there are examples of some Enforcement Agents/Companies who still have problems addressing the 7 clear days rule - Equita for example. Where are there examples of Enforcement Agents undergoing Training and what format does this take - is there a particular acknowledged qualification at the end of it.

I've no doubt that the organiser will offer free slots to prominent stakeholders like the CAB, CIVEA and MoJ but the whole thing seems very poorly timed given all the content for the promised annual review would have been submitted and dealt with.

What with the steep attendance fee I will not be bothering.

Haved to concur, what will be gained at this point from it apart from someone making some money.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I have to say that i attended a lot of this kind of event as part of the third sector coalition here in Tameside, and also the credit union and found them most useful for networking purposes. However other than payng for your hotel accommodation they were free.

I understand that these events cost money to put on of course but this one as BA points out does not seem to be particularity well researched in that most of the bullet points are either none issues or have already been decided.

Dodgeball, you are correct that many seminars are useful, but this one may well not offer anything substantial bearing in mind what yourself and BA have posted.

Because the seminar is during the Purdah period speakers from central or local government would not be able to attend so this may affect attendance figures.

In fact, on a personal basis, if I wished to do so I would be able to register for the lower price of £140 given that at the end of this month we should have our new phone system in place and all calls will be free.

There are a lot of people who just simply do not know which way to turn when faced with bailiff problems, free calls will be a definate bonus to debtors.