• Tweets

• Hi all, We bought a part to fix our washing machine approx 13 months ago direct from the manufacturer of the washing machine via phone. This part then failed 13 months later, as confirmed by their own engineer, who was sent by the manufacturer (who is also the retailer for the part) FoC. The engineer actually installed a replacement part, the machine came back to life, but they then removed the part used for testing (and ours reinstalled) as "we would be charged for it". The retailer are refusing to replace the part, stating that they only warranty parts for 90 days. When I stated that I believed the Consumer Rights Act gives me longer than that, they insinuated that it did not, and this was repeated by many representatives. AIUI for goods bought more than 6 months ago, I need to get an engineers report to confirm the part has failed? Or that it has failed due to manufacturing issues? Or would the companies own engineers report suffice? Also, does anyone have any other decent contact details for Hotpoint (or the Whirlpool group)? Thanks, GH
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MMF/Gothia/QuickQuid

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3376 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I wonder if anybody can help me. I had a loan with QuickQuid with repayments as follows:-

22nd September 2010 - £125

22nd October 2010 - £625

The total of this is £750 and for whatever reason wasn't paid. I have a default on my credit file from Gothia. I only found this when I was looking at my credit report to try and straighten it out to eventually purchase a house. As it showed Satisfied, I thought everything was settled. Over the last few years, I have paid off numerous accounts and just thought that this one has been complete. The default date on this shows as 29/09/2010, for the balance of £774.

Now I have recently had another default added to my credit file for £774. The default date on this is set at 22/10/2010. Initially it raised alarm bells as it was the same price, therefore I chased up MMF and they confirmed that they had purchased the original debt from Gothia and had added the default. I have been told that I can have 2 defaults for the same thing and therefore I just wanted to confirm that this was correct?

Also, I have contacted Gothia to see what I can do regarding the first default as its now got 2 different defaults (although one has an incorrect default date?) and they say that as they have satisfied theirs it makes no difference and MMF now have every right to enter a default?

I am confused with this, if anybody can offer me any help that would be greatly appreciated?

No you CANNOT have two defaults for the same debt.

What should happen is the name against the default will change to show the gopher chasing payment,

they CANNOT change the default date or the amount, just the name of the clown outfit chasing it.

Check the file again, and the origianl creditor should have removed their name, and replaced it with gullible gothia.

P.S. if your talking to the little boys and girls over the phone, and aren't recording the calls, then STOP!

Keep everything in writing/email only.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

As BB has said, they cannot add a new default - they can only update the original.

The "Satisfied" marker comes from the debt purchaser having bought the debt - so as far as the original creditor is concerned, they have been paid.

It might be worth making a complaint to the Information Commissioner regarding the statement made by MMF /Gothia in that they can add a 2nd default. It might be a good idea for the ICO to ask the companies to clarify their statement and also under what legislation they re making it?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi All,

Thanks very much for your responses. I have now started this process with the following actions:-

1) Emailed Gothia requesing that the DN is removed from my credit file as there are 2 entries on my file which is unlawful. If they refuse, I will raise complaints as advised.

2) Emailed MMF advising that I would like to formally dispute the DN as they cannot add this entry as they have no power's to. I am going to call Experian now to double check but I am 99% sure that MMF have issues the DN as this has popped up as a seperate one to the origional DN that was there.

I will keep you updated :)

Thanks

I have just had this reply from MMF:-

"Dear Mr ...,

Thank you for your email,

To clarify, we are not a lender. We purchased your account which was originally issued to you by QuickQuid and therefore legally own the account. As we are the legal owners of the account we also have the right to share data with the credit reference agencies. Any queries you have regarding the data shared by another company other than MMF would need to be raised directly with them.

As the balance of £... remains outstanding, the data we have shared regarding the account is therefore correct as this represents accurately the status of the account. As this account has been in default since October 2010, we have therefore registered a default to reflect the status of your account. QuickQuid will have therefore removed their default marker as they no longer hold the account. If you feel the debt was settled in full with QuickQuid, please can you provide proof of payment and I shall arrange for any necessary amendments to be made to your balance and also your credit record.

The original notice of default was issued by QuickQuid and as such we are not required to issue our own notice. I am sorry that we are unable to remove the default marker on your credit record for this account. Once the balance has been repaid in full we will update your credit record as satisfied.

I trust this clarifies our position."

Can anybody provide me with any help on this? As MMF have purchased the account, does that mean that they are legally allowed to raise a new default on my account? Or are they talking rubbish? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They can't add a new default. Only update the original. If they've changed the entry date and amounts, then get complaining. Loudly.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Are there any rules that I should state to this?

Its obvious that they have entered a new default, they have confirmed this to me. Furthermore, the default date is different to the original default, although only by a month to be fair.

Any advice on what I should do next?

I have replied to MMF with the following:-

"Hi Matt,

Many thanks for your response.

I would have to firmly disagree with the statements below. As you say you are now the legal owner of the account, it would be your duty to update the CRA’s only. Therefore, you can legally change the name of the creditor to that of yourselves, however you cannot change the date of entry, report a new entry of any of the other details that are reported to the credit reference agency.

All of these have been carried out by MMF, as follows:-

• The default date is different to that from the original default

• The default balance is different to the original default

• MMF has entered its own default alongside the original default

As you can see from the above, this default notice is unlawful. I would also question how a default of £774 has changed to a default of £1,274 and would question the additional charges that have been added to this default balance, as I would assume that these would also be unlawful.

As stated previously, without a reasonable solution being found immediately, I will be forced to take strong action in the shape of the following:-

• I will be requesting all details that you hold for me including the Notice of Assignment and Assignment of Deeds which are required for this debt to be enforceable.

• I will be raising a formal complaint with the ICO in relation to this matter.

I would appreciate your urgent response and resolution to this matter.

Kind Regards"

Stop talking to the stupid man wage idiots at mmf and send a formal complaint to the CEO of mmf.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thanks for the advice :)!

I made a complaint to the CEO of Gothia Ltd (now Arvato Financial Solutions UK & Ireland) and thankfully they have now agreed to clear all records from my credit report so that's a start.

The other email has been sent to the Complaints department at MMF and I have also escalated to the CEO at MMF so hopefully we will find a solution. If I don't hear back from them, I will be sending them a nice request for the Deeds of Assignment :)

Thanks for all the advice :)

You won't get the ''deeds of assignment''. request that and they'll laugh.

If you don't hear back from them then the correct approach would be to issue them with a letter before action,

giving them time to rectify the incorrect data on your file, if/when they don't issue them with a claim for damages via the small claims track

and sue them for defamation.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

You won't get the ''deeds of assignment''. request that and they'll laugh.

If you don't hear back from them then the correct approach would be to issue them with a letter before action,

giving them time to rectify the incorrect data on your file, if/when they don't issue them with a claim for damages via the small claims track

and sue them for defamation.

I'm sorry but I disagree.

Your claim is not for defamation because the other party is not making a statement which is seriously damaging your character.

Your correct claim would be for breaches of the Data Protection Act.

Additionally you have grounds to complain to the Information Commissioner.

In any event defamation claims cannot be commenced in the County Court - it is a High Court claim.

I'm sorry but I disagree.

Your claim is not for defamation because the other party is not making a statement which is seriously damaging your character.

Your correct claim would be for breaches of the Data Protection Act.

Additionally you have grounds to complain to the Information Commissioner.

In any event defamation claims cannot be commenced in the County Court - it is a High Court claim.

No no no no! FOTLM again!

That will get you nowhere and into trouble! Some of us are MMF veterans, me included.

Have they sent you a statement of charges?

Ignore Ali172 like a plague...

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

can we drop the FOTL twaddle please gentlemen.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The only issue you can raise here is that the original creditor placed the original default marker. After that, it can only be updated, despite who owns the debt, the original default Date CANNOT be changed.

You would raise this issue with the Information Commissioner.

You will not obtain the "Deed of Assignment" (although some courts have been known to order these produced in court) You should have been advised by the new owner or the original creditor that the account had been sold by way of a "Notice of Assignment".

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Before you go issuing claims for defamation of Character - you might want to read up on Richard Durkin

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?420961-Richard-Durkin-wins-Supreme-Court-appeal-–-beware-lenders!&highlight=Durkin

Which eventually ended up in the Supreme Court.

BCOBS