• Tweets

• love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Powergen + Prepay Electricity Meters

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5395 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi...

Having just had a prepay electricity meter installed at my property, I'm looking for some further information on the way they operate.

In my case, the consumption appears to fluctuate fairly drastically with no apparent cause (ie extra equipment being operated etc). If I'm to believe my meter my bill for a year will, at the present rate, be in excess of £1000, which is ridiculous in view of the nature of electricity usage at this property.

To further complicate matters, it appears that this increase in consumption goes hand in hand with an investigation into the whereabouts of former tenants, who have left substantial bills outstanding.

I'm awaiting a response from Powergen regarding this problem, but I'm interested to know if the tariff on a prepay meter can be altered without manual intervention, or if I should be looking closer to home for faulty equipment etc?

Debt free, partially thanks to CAG forums.

Oh dear - a prepay meter is a complex device, and it's programming owes more than just charging for the electricity that flows through it. For example, it can be programmed to deduct cash amounts from each power card inserted, that goes into a seperate fund - say for reducing a previous balance owed. The remainder is then decremented from the power actually consumed, so it is not possible to correlate the money paid in with the consumption used.

However, to check your consuption, all you need do is take a reading every seven days, and jot down all the digits, including those after the decimal point, and write them on a calendar. (I always do mine on Sundays, gas too!). The second week, do the same, then take the first figure from the second to get the consumption that week, note this on the calendar also. You will have been given the cost of the tariff you are on (or find it on the PG website). You can then work out the cost of all electricity used that week, and how much you should have paid. Do this every week, and if you are putting in more money than the consumption shows, you ask for the meter to be checked. Keep your figures safe (I keep mine online with a Google Spreadsheet).

With the recent clock change, costs can increase dramatically because of the loss of light - but after this major changes in consumption can be easily spotted, and if you didn't have 7 baths that week, there is a possibility someone is stealing your power.

Start by keeping the figures I mentioned, as a barganing exercise, it's well worth the 2-3 minutes it takes to keep you money where it belongs. In YOUR pocket! :)

Hi...

Having just had a prepay electricity meter installed at my property, I'm looking for some further information on the way they operate.

In my case, the consumption appears to fluctuate fairly drastically with no apparent cause (ie extra equipment being operated etc). If I'm to believe my meter my bill for a year will, at the present rate, be in excess of £1000, which is ridiculous in view of the nature of electricity usage at this property.

To further complicate matters, it appears that this increase in consumption goes hand in hand with an investigation into the whereabouts of former tenants, who have left substantial bills outstanding.

I'm awaiting a response from Powergen regarding this problem, but I'm interested to know if the tariff on a prepay meter can be altered without manual intervention, or if I should be looking closer to home for faulty equipment etc?

Each time you "top up" your prepayment card with credit, the server that issues the credit can store extra information on your card, including the instruction to change the charge per unit. However, the information about current charge per unit can be obtained by cycling through the options using the two buttons on the meter. I think it would be worth while making a note of these values, and if Powergen change them dramatically you can query the reason for the change with them. On occasion I've had a situation where they raise the unit cost to defer a debt on the property, and they don't always notify the current billpayer; this could well be what's happened here.

If in doubt, get a new owners card from them which will reset the meter.

The new owners card will only work if it is a powercard meter, depending what area you are in it will probably be a key meter that has been fitted.

As previously advised Powergen can change the tarrif, standing charge and debt at any time that is collected through the meter. They do not need to attend your property to do this as messages are passed on when you top up.

If their is as you say a dispute on debt from previous tennant etc then they cannot take this debt or set this debt on the meter untill dispute is resolved, however check as they might do just that.

Let us know if key or powercard and we will give you more info.

Thanks for your responses, sound advice.

The fact that Powergen are both able and known to alter tarriffs etc electronically doesn't surprise me one bit, and is about as much confirmation as I need of what I already suspected.

We use a stick/key style meter, charged at Paypoint outlets, in answer to Ozzywolf's question.

Its likely then that we're being penalised for the several thousand pounds outstanding in the name of former tenants, until such time as an ongoing investigation into the movements of said tenants is concluded and proper liability apportioned.

Having just had a dispute with my water company regarding their similarly arbitrary behaviour, I'd like to know if anyone has had experience arguing these points with Pgen or similar.

I suspect the justification will be the old "You agreed to us being able to do that by signing up with us and havig a meter installed" verbal/contractual tosh.

Okies so its a key meter, kinda new in most areas. Put your key in the meter then press the blue button. Here near the bottom of all your settings you will see somthnig like WKFXCH This meens weekly fixed charge. Check how much debt it is collecting.

Or just phone them and ask them. I doubt anyone would actually lie and say it is not collecting a debt when it is, if you ask them directly. Only probs you may get is getting through to an advisor that doesnt know how to check.

Displays for a one rate meter are:

• Available credit
  • Test display
  • Time Date
  • Total credit accepted
  • Total weekly fixed charge
  • Day unit reading
  • Day time pence per unit
  • Value of emergency credit
  • Total debt outstanding
  • Weekly debt repayment amount

Displays for a two rate meter are:

• Available credit
  • Test display
  • TimeDate
  • Total credit accepted
  • Total weekly fixed charge
  • Day unit reading
  • Day time pence per unit
  • Night unit reading
  • Night time pence per unit
  • Value of emergency credit
  • Total debt outstanding
  • Weekly debt repayment amount

Thanks for that, a valuable chunk of information.

I've pulled all the figures off, calculated the matter and checked all the tariffs etc online, and it would appear that theres nothing out of the ordinary.

My house must just be bloody expensive to run and, as stated earlier in the thread, the loss of light etc must've been the contributing factor.

Just goes to show, I'd probably be bankrupt if it weren't for these energy saving lightbulbs...

Thanks a lot though, I'll remember the advice in future.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned earlier - your consumption should be 'typical' ask a neighbour what they consume a month, and see how you compare. It won;t be for the first time that some flat dweller has discovered some 'creative rewiring' has resulted in another owner not getting any bills! (Espoecially for communal meters! - but that doesn't appear to be an issue in your case!)

• 1 month later...

I thought this one was over with, but it would appear its not.

Having recently ascertained that our households current consumption of elecricity is 3 and a half times the typical amount in our area, and having ruled out our heating and appliances as the cause of this, we've contacted Powergen and asked them what they propose to do about this.

The first round of calls produced a new 'recalibrated' payment stick, and the promise of quite a large refund.

Said stick turned up, made absolutely no difference to our consumption, and of course no refund arrived either.

We've now been told that our consumption 'must be correct', and that theres nothing further they can do for us.

So here comes the first nasty letter...

Energywatch are a waste of space - as I had to go it aslone without their 'help', all they did was 'watch' whilst I took the company to Court. The consumption may well be correct, but it doesn't mean YOU used it. It has bene known for other residents or flats to have access to your supply. If you go away for a day or so, turn off the power at the meter, and see if anyone complains!

• 2 years later...

I am a husband with 3 kids.

We missed one month payment back in november when i lost my job as a bricky and we were forced into having prepay meters installed by swalec, we were told that it would work out cheaper for us monthly but AFTER they were installed we were told that a mistake had been made and infact the amount we were putting into the meters each month was correct...

via direct debit....

£75 per month for gas

£75 per month for electricity

now via prepay meters we are putting in over £200 per month! and this is with me still out of work and us living on my wifes wages.

I would like to know that when i move at the end of the month into our new house (rented, lost family home) can swalec force us to have prepay meters installed or can we refuse?

You have responses on your own thread oopa.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.