Constant Equita and Capita letters/doorstop visits for previous tenants

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3364 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I keep getting constant letters and doorstop visits from Equita and Capita for previous tenants.

I have put 'not known at this address' on nearly 30 of them and back in the post box.

I have opened the door to one of them and told him that this is the previous tenant and

he asked for the name on the council tax bill and

said he will remove it from the records.

The letters still keep coming though for another previous tenants parking fines.

Today I decided to ring them up as I have had enough of these damn letters coming in the post.

The Equita phone number requires you to type in the reference number and pin of the case before you can speak to anyone

so I typed in what was on the 'delivered by hand' letter, and then 'other enquiries'

but after all that 'all agents busy' and the line went dead.

I would never talk to them by phone if the debt was mine but this time it is the PREVIOUS occupant

and last time this happened, the only time I got the letters for old tenants to stop was when I told them over the phone.

Will they call me back as I called off the landline thinking I'm this guy because I put in his reference number?

If they do call back and my partner answers she won't know what to do and I don't want her roped into anything by them,

especially because this debt is nothing to do with us.

phone the relevant council and complain

equita/capita are the farmed out franchise for many councils

you wont get any hep from them.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Might be worth moving this to the bailiff forum, as Equita will try to make you pay the debt and their fees

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Ok

Do you mean the council that is chasing this guy for the debt or my local council? I would have to open one of these letters to get that councils details as the 'delivered by hand' letter states it is relation to parking fines in London (I live in Birmingham)

the issuing council

you could always go do a statutory declaration if this don't work.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 4 weeks later...

I phoned up the London council which is the one that is after the previous tenants parking fines and after speaking to about 10 different people she said they can find nobody who can deal with removing the address for that tenant from their records and that they wouldn't be able to do it anyway without speaking to the debtor first to arrange a payment plan. I have no idea who the debtor is so how am I supposed to get him on the phone to speak to them?

The letters for the parking fines have now slowed down from London, but some more letters have arrived from some driving fines owed to a Yorkshire council! Every single one of these letters and 'delivered by hand' notes and court letters is addressed to the same person who used to live here. My partner is terrified of them coming in and removing our goods even though I have told her that even if it was OUR debt the bailiffs don't have the power.

How would I do a statutory declaration?

Go to a solicitor and commissioner for oaths, the cost is around a tenner, you could put in it that the named debtor vacated the premises on or around XX/XX/2014 or whatever and you have no details of their forwarding address but you are not liable for any debts of the named debtor.

Or something like that. You should get several notarised copies to send to the councils and to show any chancer bailiff fetching up at the door asking for or trying to take your goods.for the third party debt.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Thanks

Hmm, seems a lot to go through just to get through to them that this person doesn't live here anymore. I mean surely everyone and anyone who moves house must have debts and letters and stuff arrive for previous tenants. Is it purely and simply that this persons fines/debts are to do with parking and driving offenses and involve the council as to why they don't just accept the 'Not known at this address' returned letters and take this address off their records?

Thanks

Hmm, seems a lot to go through just to get through to them that this person doesn't live here anymore. I mean surely everyone and anyone who moves house must have debts and letters and stuff arrive for previous tenants. Is it purely and simply that this persons fines/debts are to do with parking and driving offenses and involve the council as to why they don't just accept the 'Not known at this address' returned letters and take this address off their records?

There is no money in it for them in fees and charges, and cash for their bailiffs who will want the innocent to pay if they can persuade them to do so if they actually accepted the evidence from the new resident. Cynical? right on.

Thanks

The sad fact is that bailiff companies receive hundreds of letters daily marked 'gone aways' and apparently, many are found to be false when a personal visit is made.

I appreciate that it is a lot of trouble to go to but, my personal opinion would be to get a simple Statutory Declaration drafted and sworn by a solicitor (cost of £5) and send a copy if you receive another letter from a firm of bailiffs. This suggestion depends on how many letters you are receiving but given that you have gone to the trouble to post a question here then clearly this situation is causing problems to your family.

You can also include a copy of this years CT invoice as well as that above.

Check to see if the previous tenant is still on the electoral role if so get it removed.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Personally I would keep a record of any phone calls and not return any further letters that are delivered.

Then I would write to whoever is sending these letters by recorded delivery and tell them you are not the named person and to stop the letters. You can say that any further receipt will be classed as harassment and further action will be taken.

You could include a copy of your council tax bill as proof.