TFL Trouble!! ****Settled Out Of Court****

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3399 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Oldcodja

Yes the journeys are marked differently. My friends statement was that as he did not need the pass for that month and he keeps his card in a pouch on his table and thought the card was in there the whole time he didn't give much thought but on that day he was looking for the card and couldn't find it and he was about to report it stolen and that is when I gave him a call. He also said that He no way gave me permission to use his card. But in my opinion they did believe his version more than mine.

This reads as though you are saying that you called your friend to say that you had been caught using his Oyster just as he was about to report it stolen.

You definitely need to contact a solicitor as soon as possible.

If I were prosecuting this I might want to call your friend as a prosecution witness, but I can also see that it might benefit the defence to have him called to give evidence because that explanation brings to mind a few questions that a good defence solicitor should want to ask him to answer in order to discredit his evidence.

In my view you are certainly not going to be successful in your efforts to seek an alternative disposal without the professional help of a good criminal defence lawyer and I am afraid that it may now be too late in any case, but if you are going to stand any chance to avoid a criminal conviction, you must seek that help.

• Haha 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello guys

Thanks for all your responses. I am planning to leave the country tbh. I cant afford the court expenses. I will continue my study in singapore and will not be planning to return to the uk. My question is if I run from this will it haunt me all the way to singapore???

thanks

Hello guys

Thanks for all your responses. I am planning to leave the country tbh. I cant afford the court expenses. I will continue my study in singapore and will not be planning to return to the uk. My question is if I run from this will it haunt me all the way to singapore???

thanks

Haunt you? It depends what you mean.

Are the courts likely to persue you in Singapore, for the fine that will follow when you are found guilty if you don't attend court? No.

Are you likely to have a bench warrant issued for your no-bail detention for non-payment of that fine (though, only of consequence if you return to the UK)? Yes.

Will you have a criminal conviction? Yes.

Will you have to declare that conviction? You would be supposed to. If you didn't, and it all came out - you would be at risk of loosing any such job in the future for concealing it, even if revealing it might not have been a bar to that job.

Can I just establish that I've got this right?

You have fare evaded. You are studying in the UK but are from Singapore. Do you have ILR or other residency rights?

If not, why risk being caught fare dodging and the visa woes that might result.

You decided not to follow the advice given and didn't get a solicitor. You are now planning to not continue your studies in the UK rather than get a solicitor / pay any fine(s).

I wonder how much the studies are costing you and the relative waste ..... and the cost of the fares you "saved" / the cost of the solicitor you might have used that could have helped you avoid being prosecuted.

Well, if you intend to leave the country you could try one last shot at TfL.

You could write to them and explain that due to unforseen circumstances you will leave the country for good and you will not be able to attend court.

Ask if anything can be done to avoid a pointless court hearing which you will not attend.

If you send them copy of your one way plane ticket they will probably believe you and with a bit of luck they might offer an out of court settlement or scrap the prosecution altogether.

It's a big if and it might not work, but at this point it won't hurt trying anything Imo.

Hello guys

I am on a student visa atm and am not planning to stay in the UK. Looks like I will get a criminal record anyways. My question was that if i leave to singapore, I wouldnt have a criminal record there right?? What I mean is this, will this conviction follow me all the way to singapore and i have to declare it there aswell??

Hello guys

I am on a student visa atm and am not planning to stay in the UK. Looks like I will get a criminal record anyways. My question was that if i leave to singapore, I wouldnt have a criminal record there right?? What I mean is this, will this conviction follow me all the way to singapore and i have to declare it there aswell??

See my previous answer that covers this.

Hello Guys

Good news!! I have been able to settle out of court. I told TFL my situation about me leaving the country and they have accepted it. Mind you it is a hefty fine though. I have to settle 450 pounds plus the fare dodged on that day.

Thanks for all your replies.

Regards

Hello Guys

Good news!! I have been able to settle out of court. I told TFL my situation about me leaving the country and they have accepted it. Mind you it is a hefty fine though. I have to settle 450 pounds plus the fare dodged on that day.

Thanks for all your replies.

Regards

Cheaper than the average cost fine + costs.

Nice one!