Compensation from Landlord/Letting Agent

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3429 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Team,

I moved to a 2 bed furnished flat via a letting agent. Before moving into the property one of the bedroom didnt had bed in it, so we asked letting agent to request landlord to put the double bed in the 2nd bedroom for which landlord agreed in phone call with agent.

After agents confirmation, we moved into the flat as the landlord said he will arrange the bed in 1 week time.

Its been 3 months landlord didnt arrange the double bed for the 2nd bedroom. Due to which i had to sleep on the floor from last 3 months, and my wife and 6 months little kid sleep on the main bedroom.

Now when agent trying to follow up with landlord, he says he didnt agree for it, and is happy to arrange single bed. For which i am completely against as we didnt agree for the single bed.

Between the letting agent and landlord the conversation happened in the letting office infront of us, and the letting agent said...these phone conversations are recorded.

I have a written email confirmation from letting agent about the conversation.

Now i have sent a written email asking for compensation from letting agent for this sub-standard services, due to which we are having this mental and physical pain.

I am seeking the compensation of 1000 pounds for 3 months, and the admin fees i paid i.e. around 400 pounds.

FYI...i pay 1050 pounds rent per month, so claiming 300 per month.

I send rent directly to landlord as agreed, the letting agent is not managing the property.

can you please help, whether i am in right path for claiming compensation

Regards,

Vamsi

Unless you have it in writing, you wont win this one; ( description fully furnished, may imply beds ) presume you viewed flat before taking it, so you knew what was being provided.

buy a bed then when you leave, maybe LL will buy it back or take it with you, or get LL to pay for single and you pay extra for double.

Why did you leave it so long to sort????

So what lesson will they learn when Judge/adjudicator rejects your claim for compensation and admin fees?

That LL/LA taped conversation will disappear.

In #1 you suggest flat had a double? bed in one bedroom, no bed in other, but you preferred the empty bedroom and wanted LL to move the double bed, or provide another double bed? So there was sufficient bed provision for 2 consenting adults, all you needed was a cot for the 6 mo baby. Or am I reading #1 wrong?

Before i moved in, i did get written confirmation from agent that the owner will arrange the double bed. Thats when we signed contract and moved in.

My parents visits very often so I need double bed, i dont want to compromise for single bad as i agreed to pay a defined rent considering two double beds.

Agent is try to convince LL from last 3 months...i have no option but to claim compensation for this trouble...it will be a lesson for both LL and Agent....for not handling things properly.

The worst part is the LL never bothers to pick the phone call...its very annoying.

I have a written confirmation from LA, saying LL will provide the double bed in another double bed room.

It was agreed before i moved in, and that why i am paying him the agreed rent.

Agent is not who you have the contract with! and on what terms its the LL. Agent can check with LL but cannot make promises on his behalf.

I am sure a Judge and others will say that the fact you did not have a bed is down to you for that length of time; you must mitigate your inconvenience!

Are you really considering taking court action over this?

Unless you want to get a S21, suggest you keep any claim to an amicable negotiation and be reasonable.