• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Ex Landlord Threatening Court Action

MoneyRats
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3425 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, apologies if this is in the wrong place. I'll outline my situation:

I lived at a shared property for 6 years with 4 flatmates. I moved out of said property last year (sep'13). I moved a few streets away. During my last 3 years there I was in charge of collecting the rent from other flatmates and paying the landlord each month.

The rent was initially paid all in cash and collected in person by the landlord with no receipts. Then we agreed to try paying half the rent in cash and half in bank transfer. This only worked for a few months because some of the flatmates weren't paid on time, and it was odd amounts, so we reverted to paying all in cash as before, collected in person by the landlord.

This went on for my last year at the property with no apparent problems.

A couple of months after I moved out I was contacted by my (by then ex) landlord saying that he had not received the last year's worth of bank transfers. I told him that he may have forgotten that we agreed to scrap that at the beginning of the year and I had paid him the whole amount in cash (which he counted and collected in person each month, as usual). He denied any knowledge of this and insisted that I now owed him a year's worth of rent (the missing half).

This was last Christmas, I told him he was crazy and after numerous phone calls, including one on Christmas eve during dinner, I just barred his number.

I had heard nothing more about the situation, and I am in constant contact with the remaining tenants (as we are all friends), but now he has told one of them to tell me to meet him to discuss the money or he will take me to court.

This landlord is notoriously dodgy. He lost a court case a few years ago to some other tenants in the same building over rent raises. He constantly harrasses them and follows other people coming or going, I've even seen him photographing people.

Although he has no proof that I didn't pay him the rent, I also have no proof that I did. In a court case does it sound like he has a case?

He is claiming rent not paid starting from Dec 2012, so 2 years ago now, why would he wait that long if he thought he was missing thousands and thousands of pounds, unless he is just trying a [problem] because he knows there are no receipts?

He even gave me a reference for my new flat. It just doesn't add up.

Any legal based comments very welcome as I am unfamiliar with any of this process.

Thanks

Just an idea but can you show a cash withdrawal from your bank account for that amount on the rent day (or around the due day) . Any activity is better than none and might swing things in your favor.

And it was a silly idea not to get receipt but whats done is done.

Hi, yeah we asked for receipts every single time and he'd always say oh I forgot I'll bring them next time. He just never did. Although there was also never a contract either so technically speaking no one even lived there.

The bank statements thing is a good suggestion, but basically I did a lot of cash in hand work that year and also got married so received lots of cash gifts, so the statements don't represent any major withdrawals. The landlord also sometimes used to collect some people's rent in cash whenever they had it. So like Tuesday he'd come for one, then come back Thursday for another's etc. I was trying to avoid all that confusion by giving it in one lump some.

That's all circumstancial anyway, even if it showed exactly that amount withdrawn on same date each month it would still only prove a withdrawal, not a payemnt to him.

Would statements even get to be seen? Isn't the onus on him to prove that I didn't pay him? And somehow managed to continue not paying him for a whole year without him noticing......whilst still living there, with my new wife....and my friends....and then only moving a street away...?

No tenancy?

Then as far as I can see he has no basis on which to make a claim

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Mmmm yeah well I lived there for 6 years with no contract and some of my flatmates have been there 15 years with no contract! EXCEPT, in my last year there (coincidentally the same time he is claiming for) I signed a 2 page "contract" for 1 year that he downloaded off the internet and crossed out the dates and names and put ours, we had been requesting a contract from him forever (and receipts), and he finally brought one which I signed so he could not raise the rent again for at least another year. I read through it though and it was just a basic standard thing. But then I'm not disputing that I ever lived there.

Given the lack of documentation/receipts I can't see how either of you could prove anything.

If it got to court, the judge would have to decide whether on a balance of probabilities, it is more likely that you owe the money or you do not owe the money. Absolute proof is not required. All the judge would really have to go on is what you and the landlord tell him in court.

It doesn't sound like the landlord is the kind of person who would have much success using the court system - which requires care, organisation and attention to detail. I'd be tempted to just write a formal letter to him clearly explaining the situation and that the rent was paid, and telling him that any court proceedings will be defended.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Yeah I'm not really sure how he manages to get away with cash rent, I mean there's no way this guy is declaring any of it as income. He actually implied to us he knew how to avoid paying council tax altogether if we wanted (which we didn't - we paid council tax). He is basically highly shifty.

BUT that doesn't help me, if this psycho wants to take me to court with nothing but circumstancial evidence then there's isn't much I can do I guess. I mean I have all the current tenants as witnesses etc, but I'm not even sure youo get witnesses in what I imagine will be a small claims court.

I think you are right 'steampowered' that it will ultimately come down to a judge's opinion and who's circumstancial evidence he believes. I just can't believe that after years of dutifully and thanklessly collecting all the bloody rent for this guy and then handing it over to him each month, gets me this.

You are right, he isn't the kind of person to have success using the court system (he lost that year long case I mentioned before), but then who knows...

you can take witness to a small claims hearing as long as you have collected statements beforehand as part of your evidence. I presume that no protection of deposit, no gas safety cert etc so LL is not going to appear as a good witness in a "he said, I said" case. I cannot imagine that this is anything more than a threat to try and browbeat you into paying money not owed.

Yeah I have witnesses in the other flatmates, past flatmates, anyone else in the building, pretty much anyone that has ever encountered this guy knows he's a notorious swindler. He has an ongoing court case for harrassment/stalking someone from one of the other flats too. Also, he appeared this week in two newspaper articles because he has apparently served some tenants with eviction notices after they complained about noise. He is an absolute slum landlord.

Not sure if any of that will help me in a court hearing though, I imagine ongoing cases with others and press articles arent exactly admissable as evidence.

There was no deposit, and there is no gas either (yes - no heating, apart from electrical fires we had to buy). I spoke to an ex tenant recently and he said that he tried the same thing on with him years ago, just never issued a receipt and then claimed that he didn't get paid, but he never threatened court action with him.