Dental NHS fine

sat1983
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3435 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just received a letter from the NHS who have fined me for my dentist visit in August when I was on Jobseekers Allowance.

I obviously ticked the JSA box as I was on it.

It turns out that you're only entitled to free treatment when on income based JSA.

After calling the Jobcentre yesterday for confirmation,

they informed me that when I was signing on I was on contribution based JSA which doesn't entitle me to free treatment.

It was such a genuine mistake- I was totally unaware of the differences between Jobseekers Allowance entitlements.

Now clearly I accept that I was at fault but plead mitigating circumstances as I had no idea that there were any differences in JSA entitlements.

It wasn’t made clear by anyone at any point and had I known I would have paid the dental charge without a second thought.

Do I have a leg to stand on?

I would ring the NHS department who deal with prescriptions ect, explain to them the circumstances and that you don't have an issue paying something towards the full cost of the treatment as even if you are working you can still get some help with dental treatment

You could appeal against the penalty in writing.. They might not enforce it. However, if the form specifically asks you if you get JSA IB & you ticked yes, they may still fine you.

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

Easy mistake to make if not au fait with the system as I always thought it was JSA C and IB that gave entitlement. Only when I went to the dentist 4 months after claining JSA did they ask if I was on C or IB. I said C as I was at the time and they said I would have to pay. I cancelled my appointment (crown) as wasn't in too much pain and the day after I started on IB I went back and got it done for nothing.

Indeed I too find it stupid that you have to deplete your JSA contribution based before qualifying for income based and th benefits.

Its all down to the "means testing" i suppose.

However you can get extra help with dental and prescription costs. research HC1

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/nhs-low-income-scheme.aspx

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I have sent an appeal, I hope that they see sense:

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I am writing to lodge an appeal about my case. I was on Jobseeker’s Allowance from the 15th August 2014 until the beginning of September. When I entered the surgery I was asked what benefit I was on and I stated I was on Jobseekers Allowance. I ticked the relevant box and thought nothing more of it.

I received a letter from yourselves today stating that I was liable for a fine as you were unable to confirm I was in receipt of Income based Jobseekers allowance. This naturally panicked me and I telephoned the Jobcentre plus office to double check the dates I signed on. They confirm I was on Jobseekers Allowance on the above dates but I even had to ask them to confirm exactly which Jobseekers Allowance I was on. I was totally unaware of the differences between Jobseekers Allowance entitlements. They have confirmed I was on contribution based Jobseekers Allowance.

Now clearly I accept that I was at fault but plead mitigating circumstances as I had no idea that there were any differences in JSA entitlements. It wasn’t made clear by anyone at any point and had I known I would have paid the dental charge without a second thought.

I would please ask that you waive the penalty charge and accept my apologies. I am a law abiding citizen and have never ever been in trouble. This is just a genuine mistake which will not be repeated. We have no problems paying the standard dental charge of course.

Kind Regards

----- ----------

Yes as has been said- we're only human and mistakes do bloody happen.

I agree with you there, even I didn't notice it, and SLS kindly posted it in PDF format.

It isn't obvious at all, if it were then it would have been printed like this as opposed to the misleading font they do use.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Well I would not have noticed it as I always thought it was JSA full stop (or ESA) with no distinction between C and IB and I was a proof reader as well! Few people read things word for word and this is a genuine mistake, people do make them you know! I was lucky my dentist reception looked at my JSA award letter and told me (if I could) to wait and get it free when I was on IB