Should I leave my job now or battle it out for another 6 Months

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3415 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My job is in the public service for nearly 20 Years.

The last two years has worsened, cutbacks, blame, toxic atmosphere, confusion. The last Year has been hell, since my new Manager arrived. I see think she is an autocratic perfectionist who focuses on the negative aspects in people performance, including me, who make a few errors under the pressure of our jobs ( though she has her favourite‘pupils’ ), whilst she side lines the positive bigger picture. Praise, when it comes feels shallow / awkward.

We are all facing the Performance Improvement Plan if our standards don’t improve. I see this as a threat and not a tool to really improve my performance.

I look at some of my feedback / performance and realise that I often perform at 100% accuracy and quality. Occasionally, my performance dips and it is this that she targets as a complete failure and sees it as a personal failing rather than the lack of training and poor procedures in place.

Recently, exit packages were announced for June next Year and I have volunteered, awaiting decision soon.

I’m 53 Years old. Fortunately I have paid my mortgage. No debts and have saved 5 Years’ worth of salary and no dependants. It’s not enough to retire on because I still hope to have Years ahead of me in some kind of work.

I have not had sick leave in 4 years but I’m stressed to the hilt and need to leave and live my life without this mindless blame culture / poison.

I want to leave now but obviously there will be no payoff and future employers may be curious. If I endure this for the next 7 Months, I might get the payoff or they could sack me for incapability within three Months which wouldn’t look good. Either way, my health will suffer further.

My union wants to fight this but not sure that I want to drag it out. I just wish they would pay be off now to avoid the time wasting and expense of an improvement plan which is flawed.

I’m interested to here from anyone with a similar experience or for your thoughts.

Many thanks:!:

We hear this type of thing quite often. It is beyond me how anyone can work in this type of atmosphere and perform at their best level :(

I sometimes wonder if they bring in the type of Manager you have, in order to instil the atmosphere you are experiencing so that people leave of their own accord !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I don't see why future employers should question your decision to make a change after a long time in your job. Only you can decide if it's worth prolonging this for the sake of a pay off that you can manage without.

I know of an organisation going through change with redundancies expected over the next 12 months and people are leaving now because of the unpleasant atmosphere. Others are digging their heels in because they don't want to let the company off paying redundancy.

How much do you value your health and happiness?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

For 7 months, I would stick it out - but you know yourself best and only you can judge.

It's not something you can ask us

Probably yes but that has potential problems up the line with future employers. I did think about it, may even do it.

Either way, Im leaving in June 15 with or without a payoff. I may even leave before if it is just not worth the hassle

Thanks for your reply

I don't see why future employers should question your decision to make a change after a long time in your job. Only you can decide if it's worth prolonging this for the sake of a pay off that you can manage without.

I know of an organisation going through change with redundancies expected over the next 12 months and people are leaving now because of the unpleasant atmosphere. Others are digging their heels in because they don't want to let the company off paying redundancy.

How much do you value your health and happiness?

I value this more than anything because without it, what is the point ??