Child support arrears could be added to credit files

Michael Browne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3437 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Parents who default on child maintenance payments face being turned down for mortgages and credit cards under new government plans.

From March 2015, information from parents' payment records in England, Scotland and Wales could be shared with credit reference agencies.

Financial organisations would then use this data to decide whether or not they want to offer someone credit.

The record of a missed payment won’t appear on a credit record until a liability order is made against them.

In principle I think that the use of credit files in respect of someone who fails to contribute to the upkeep of their own children has a certain morality about it which I find quite attractive

Yes, I would agree with this.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

In principle, sure, yes. But frankly, I see little evidence that the CSA (or whatever it's called this week) could be trusted to organise a p*** up in a brewery. What they lack in competence they make up for in belligerent ineptitude and a whole-hearted reluctance to admit to or correct any mistakes. This harms both custodial and non-custodial parents alike, and I'm not convinced I want this faceless and unaccountable agency to get its hands on any more sticks with which to beat people.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I am sorry but I totally DISAGREE with this idea.

According to the CSA, I owe them in the region of £20,000.

This is made up of:

1: 12 months of records and payments THEY lost and refuse to investigate.

2: 18 months I was on SSP with a liability of £5 per week that they, without justification, amended to £50 per week some 5 years after the event (and now I have no proof to provide to argue)

3: A 9 month period they "reassessed" me from £32 per week up to £92 per week based on information given to them by the PWC in one of her regular fits of petulance which they refuse to amend despite wage slip proof because it is "too late now".

4: Several other random changes to assessments and lost records over the course of the last 11 years.

My credit file is already shot to pieces courtesy of the break up of the marriage (her idea of 50/50 was worth money = hers, cost money = mine). Adding this because of CSA ineptitude would be grossly unfair.

Until and unless the CSA can actually prove to be fit for purpose, I feel it would be a huge mistake to give them even more power to ruin decent people's lives (Notice I said Decent, it is normal for the deadbeat dad's to find loopholes in the system and usually only the decent ones who hang around to get stung).