Served prison sentence. Do I have to pay DWS back?

Santiago01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3368 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I feel bad coming here for help but please bare with me

About 20 years ago I was taken into my local DSS office where I admitted claiming benefits while I started a new business.

I was given the option of paying back the amount I owed or go to court.

I agreed, of course that I should pay this back and as I did,

I also received a summons and was sentenced to prison time.

At this point It felt unfair as we had agreed to pay and not face court.

However, I had taken the benefits.

I stopped paying the money because of this.

I felt the prison time served was enough.

why should I be punished twice?

However even though I have not been on benefits since

I am now starting to get demands for the £2000 with court action threatened.

I am not on benefits but am self employed,on a low low income and so am worried.

I know I can make an offer to pay weekly,

I was wondering if I can make a request to see the original paperwork to see if the court or pay option was recorded.

Also, is there a statute of limitations on such a debt after so long also.

Thanks

Who is making the thread of court action? Is the DWP or a debt collection Agency ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I'd also go and get someone on your side, contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau/ advice services and get them involved early on in the process.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

They can't take you to court again for the same money, you have done your time, so it must be a DCA who is threatening you

the only action that can be taken to claim the money back off you, is to deduct it from any future benefits

I think you do need to seek some advice from Citizen's advice bureau..

Incorrect Info. Edited 29/10/14 Rebel11

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

They can't take you to court again for the same money, you have done your time, so it must be a DCA who is threatening you

This is not correct. The fact that the OP has served a criminal sentence for benefit fraud does not mean that the overpayment does not need to be repaid - the first matter is criminal, the second matter is civil.

DWP debts are subject to the same basic rules as other debts with regard to statute barring, but as you note the money can be reclaimed from future benefit payments, including State Retirement Pension, and in some circumstances the DWP can make deductions from earnings without needing a court order.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hi,

I have a look around for info on this and there is plenty of info for recovering but very little for challenging.

To be clear, the DWP can recover the money, take court action or both at their choice.

The only positive thing I have found is from CPAG regarding waivers. No idea if it will help.

http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/overpayments-and-recovery-secretary-state-waiver

They can't take you to court again for the same money

The DWP took criminal action at the time. This is now a civil matter which is separate from the judicial system and can't be sent to jail again

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I thought crown debts were immune from SB limitations.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

You wouldn't have been offered the option of paying it back or court. Repayment is without prejudice to court action (Ie it won't prevent it) and this was the case 20 years ago. I was investigating benefit fraud then and still am so I am aware of procedure

To have gone to prison it would have been a hefty overpayment. The punishment for the criminal action was the prison. The repayment is a separate issue.

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

I'm not entirely sure how it all works with benefit repayments, but I would have thought this is an example of fraud. The statutory limitation period for fraud is six years from when the fraud could reasonably have been discovered. I've also heard an argument that the six year period for repayment begins when a final decision is made by the DWP. When did you do time and when did you stop payment - was it more than six years ago?

I'm not entirely sure how it all works with benefit repayments, but I would have thought this is an example of fraud. The statutory limitation period for fraud is six years from when the fraud could reasonably have been discovered.

I have never heard of that when it comes to recovering fraud overpayments.

I have never heard of that when it comes to recovering fraud overpayments.

The limitation for fraud is covered by section 32 of the Limitation Act - see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/58/section/32. I'm not entirely sure how that would apply to the Op but certainly something to think about.

That's to take civil action in the county court

Yes, but the criminal proceedings finished 20 years ago. If DWP want to recover the money now my understanding is that they would have to go through the civil courts.

they can just take it out of most benefits or attach your earnings, without a judgement.

If it's only £2,000 I'm staggered the o/p got a custodial. Even 20 years ago there had to be aggravating factors or previous to get prison.

I don't think £2,000 was the initial amount, some monies has been paid off, we don't know how much.

they can just take it out of most benefits or attach your earnings, without a judgement.

If it's only £2,000 I'm staggered the o/p got a custodial. Even 20 years ago there had to be aggravating factors or previous to get prison.

:laser:

Deductions from present or future benefits, direct earnings attachments, and a third option for Work and Pensions; back to the criminal court for a proceeds of crime hearing. If a confiscation order is granted it allows the DWP to seize a fraudster's assets.

Fortunately for the original enquirer, the POCA hearing usually has to be within two years of conviction.

Starryeyes.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

This case is like someone I know, even though you have been to prison unfortunately the overpayment still has to be paid back. So if you are not claiming benefits now try can attach a overpayment deduction on any benefits you get in the future. Being sent to prison is the criminal side of it , the other is repayment which still has to be paid but if they take you to court they can not send you to prison again. But they can make it a court order for repayment