Entitled to after 25 years

katsden
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3464 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My friend has been married for 25 years.

10 month ago her husband left to go with another woman.

He never contacted the children who are 17 and 14 and still in education.

They run a business and until recently he was covering all the bills, she gave up work to do his paperwork and generally be his secretary.

Last week he turned up and said he wanted the kids to live with him, they were happy about this and went.

My friend is distraught.

he has stopped her bank card and all money.

She is still in the marital home but not for much longer as she has no money at all.

Basically what are her rights?

He has asked her to move out so he can move back in!!

Any help would be welcome.

seems you really need to see a family solicitor. maybe entitled to legal assistance.

ps, she wld have a right to residence in the marital home

My friend has been married for 25 years.

10 month ago her husband left to go with another woman.

He never contacted the children who are 17 and 14 and still in education.

They run a business and until recently he was covering all the bills, she gave up work to do his paperwork and generally be his secretary.

Last week he turned up and said he wanted the kids to live with him, they were happy about this and went.

My friend is distraught.

he has stopped her bank card and all money.

She is still in the marital home but not for much longer as she has no money at all.

Basically what are her rights?

He has asked her to move out so he can move back in!!

Any help would be welcome.

She has the right to reside in the family home (which may prevent it's sale without a settlement) but this right MUST be registered to take effect.

It needs to be placed with the Land Registry (for registered land) or as a class F charge at the Land Charges Registry (at Plymouth) for unregistered land.

I concurr with the other replies .... She should see a family law solicitor.

It sounds like his ability to run the business was very much a joint effort during the marriage, so she will most likely be entitled to a 50% share in the proceeds of that - probably by way of the husband making payments.

Custody of the children is another question, and will be decided depending on what is in the best interests of the children. Generally the kids will mainly live with one partner, but the other partner will have joint-custody or contact rights.

It would usually make sense for the partner with the kids to end up in the family home, but for now she will be entitled to stay there. In any event, I imagine there is a joint mortgage so the ex-husband will remain equally liable to the bank.

I concur with seeing a family solicitor immediately.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS