What are your experiences with credit check rejection for a job and its impact on you lifestyle?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3438 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was going for an administration job and reached the second stage of the recruitment/interview process, when the company suddenly turned around and stated that I would have to undergo a credit check.

I have been having a few debt problems on the count of my recent divorce from my ex-partner and had to take out a myriad of loans to keep my family home with 2 young children from going under.

The company realised my bad credit score and in the end did not offer me the job because of it. I am struggling to pay my rent on the low income job that I am currently doing which I have been in for the last 5 years.... it's not enough and then when there is a glimmer of hope, it got taken away just like that due to a credit check!

So I am desperate to know what other people's experiences with this kind of issue has been and the methods you have taken to move past this.

How has this affected you? Because quite frankly, it's affected me and the up keep of my children badly....

Edited by citizenB
formatting for easier reading

Did they specifically say you weren't offered the position because of the credit check ?

Was the position in the financial industry ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I was going for an administration job and reached the second stage of the recruitment/interview process, when the company suddenly turned around and stated that I would have to undergo a credit check.

I have been having a few debt problems on the count of my recent divorce from my ex-partner and had to take out a myriad of loans to keep my family home with 2 young children from going under.

The company realised my bad credit score and in the end did not offer me the job because of it. I am struggling to pay my rent on the low income job that I am currently doing which I have been in for the last 5 years.... it's not enough and then when there is a glimmer of hope, it got taken away just like that due to a credit check!

So I am desperate to know what other people's experiences with this kind of issue has been and the methods you have taken to move past this.

How has this affected you? Because quite frankly, it's affected me and the up keep of my children badly....

Hi welcome to CAG,

Your " credit score" has nothing to do with the rejection, it is a day to day representation of how a credit app may be viewed by a potential lender, it is not anything more than a personal indicator.

Your problem is I suspect more to do with the conduct of your credit accounts.

Were you told credit checks would be made when applying for this job?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Don't you just hate it when Students come on here with a false reason because they want information but can't be bothered to find it out for themselves and then haven't the courtesy to respond when someone answers.

Edited by Conniff

Did they specifically say you weren't offered the position because of the credit check ?

Was the position in the financial industry ?

Yes they did, and it was not specified beforehandNo it was in IT

Hi welcome to CAG,

Your " credit score" has nothing to do with the rejection, it is a day to day representation of how a credit app may be viewed by a potential lender, it is not anything more than a personal indicator.

Your problem is I suspect more to do with the conduct of your credit accounts.

Were you told credit checks would be made when applying for this job?

I have read a bit into credit checking and it seems apparent to me now that it is very clearly do to with my credit score. And no I was not aware of it being undertaken until I got to the next stage of the interview process

many companies involved in financial products do a credit check as they dont want to risk employing someone who could be tempted to dip in the till or who may be open to bribery due to current financial situation. Same goes for police and a few other positions of trust. I suspect that in your case it isnt a killer but given a choice of candidates they will go for the safer option.

many companies involved in financial products do a credit check as they dont want to risk employing someone who could be tempted to dip in the till or who may be open to bribery due to current financial situation. Same goes for police and a few other positions of trust. I suspect that in your case it isnt a killer but given a choice of candidates they will go for the safer option.

In some ways that's understandable no one wants to risk losing money. But my thinking is that if someone is a theif no matter their financial position they are gonna steal. If credit checks actually are there to reduce the likelihood of theft they would conduct them continuously with the staff that deal with money, but they don't because it's obvious there's not really a link between stealing from tills and having a bit of debt

it is not a measure of honesty but a measure of risk or perceived risk. Someone with financial problems is more likely to be tempted and that is oftem borne out after the event. Same goes for people in relationships with a person that is that way inclined, pressure can be brought on that person to act in a way they would never do if it wasnt for the coercion.

As for doing repeated checks, then what employer would risk being sued or prosecuted for harassingthier employees in that way? Generally the use of forensic accounting and auditing finds the wrong uns in place if there is a suspicion that money is going missing. All after the event admittedly but it does find the loophopes in the system and make it harder for the next person to try their hand.

The pub and hotel trade used to use private investigators that had previous experience in the licenced trade to test their employees/establishments for signs of lax practices that could lead to losses as well as stocktakers and accountants. Your assertion that there is no link unfortunately doesnt stand up to empirical tests but perhaps there is not a great deal of publicity given to the link as after all, no-one wants to advertise that they have been taken in whent here are simple checks that could have determined a possible risk. same as having CRB checks does little to prevent crime overall but it does stop some of the more obvious mismatches like RM employing people straight out of prison into security van driving and then wondering why all of the cheque books and credit cards have disappeared when that employee didnt turn up the next day. (pre CRB but true. RM claimed they werent allowed to vet people at the time)