Social Landlord stage one warning

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3466 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm not sure if I have posted this in the right place as I could not find a forum related to my query.

I have just received a 'request for meeting - warning you are at stage one' because I owe a little over one weeks rent.

I am fuming, this is the second one I've received, (the first one at the end of August because again I owed just over one weeks rent) I get paid at the end of the month and always make my rent payment on that date.

By looking at my rent account they can see that I make regular payments and I feel like they are harassing me. But before I call them I was wondering if anybody knows if they can send these warnings for such a little amount of rent arrears? I always thought it was four weeks arrears? and I obviously don't want to go in all guns blazing if they are allowed to do this.

She has said in the letter, 'Despite my previous letter you still have a rent debt of £just over one weeks rent. It is important that we meet to talk about how you will pay this debt. (I have paid two lots of rent since the previous letter, putting me in front until this week)

It then says in bold - If you don't keep this appointment o arrange another one and the debt remains unpaid, I will start legal action which could result in you losing your home.

The appointment is for the day before payday??? How much sense does this make.

Anyway, calmed down a bit now I have typed my frustration

If anyone knows if they can send these letters I would be grateful

Many thanks

Who is the social landlord?

Have you got a copy of your tenancy agreement? Check it thoroughly regarding late/non payments of rent.

Do you have a housing officer?

It sounds petty more than harassing!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I will have to dig out my TA, and I do not know who my housing officer is.

I just wanted to know really when first warnings could be sent? especially when it is obvious I pay my rent every month and by the end of this month I will be back in credit.

I pay all of my rent myself because I work, but I am currently off work ill with anxiety caused by severe depression. Although this letter mostly angered me, it is still distressing to receive. Surely they should contact tenants first before sending such scary, threatening letters for such small arrears, especially when they can clearly see that by the end of the month they should be cleared?

Thanks

moved to the right forum

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Rent should be paid by due date, not later after salary is paid.

The letter appears to be LBA before poss s8 g10,11.

You could request a later renr payment date to suit, but the legal rent due date will remain as stated on TA, thus payment will always be late.

Ensure you save enough to pay rent on TA rent due date.

Is property owned by HA or private LL?

Hi

I find this action of a Social Landlord for one weeks late rent extremely harsh.

Now please make sure you do attend the meeting but DO NOT go alone take a witness with you.

Also write to them and request a copy of their Arrears Policy (You need to be sure they are correctly following their own policy) and keep a copy and get proof of posting.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks for moving the thread for me DX

Thanks for your advice Stu, I will be sending a letter asking for their arrears policy in the morning, hopefully (but I doubt it) will get a reply before next Thursday.

I will be going to the meeting, I'll have to see if I can get somebody to go with me.

Thanks again Stu

Thanks again Stu

Some HA's require tenants to pay rent 4 weeks in advance. If that's in your TA I'm not sure if that technically puts you in arrears or not.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I think the bold bit is the important bit.

"If you don't keep this appointment o arrange another one and the debt remains unpaid, I will start legal action"

Maybe you should arrange another one that takes place a bit after pay day then cancel it when you've paid the rent.

From their point of view, I guess they would prefer it if people had a bit put by so you could pay the rent on time, and they will try to persuade people to prioritise their rent over payments for other things.