neighbours have 'extended' their drive and are causing obstruction on common land!

Gin and Milk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3459 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm just hoping for a bit of advice. I live on a small unadopted lane, which has houses at both sides and a rectangle of common land in the middle with room for a few parked cars and to turn your car around (it isn't a through road).

Recently one of our neighbours decided to 'extend' their drive onto the common land (not sure why), which wasn't really a problem even though I don't think they have the right to do this, but they've now taken to placing rocks across the entrance to this drive, making even harder for us to turn our cars around.

I'm fuming, but I'm loathe to say something, but I'm sure this must be illegal?

If someone damaged their car whilst trying to turn it round, would our neighbours be liable as they're the ones who have placed the obstruction there? I know there is a lot to be said for looking where you are going, fortunately I know they're there, but the lane is very dark at night as there's only a couple of street lights.

Being an unadopted road means I can't really involve the council.

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

:o You can't give a baby booze! :o

http://www.pendle.gov.uk/info/701/roads-adoption_agreements/963/unadopted_streets/3

Residents often think that as they both own and pay for the upkeep of their unadopted street they have a right to obstruct it as they choose, eg by putting a gate across the street. However, it is just as much an offence to obstruct an unadopted highway as any other highway.

The link above is for Pendle Borough Council. Check your own LA website and see if they have something similar dealing with unadopted roads. It looks like you will be able to raise a dispute regarding the action of your neighbour.. if you live in Pendle.. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks Citizen B, even though I don't live in Pendle your reply is very reassuring!

I didn't have a problem with them extending their driveway at first even though it's not their land, but when they started putting rocks across that's what made me angry. I've told my husband if it's dark whenever I come home, I'll move the rocks onto their land and turn my car round. Even though I know they're there, it's still a tight turnaround and I don't see them in my blind spot - which is even more blind in the dark.

I wouldn't mind, but they've encroached onto the land by over a foot and their car is hardly ever in their drive as he works away!

Why do some people have to be so inconsiderate eh?

Thanks again, I had a quick look on my council's website, but couldn't really find anything. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place!

In the unlikely event that our neighbours have bought that little piece of land (and I don't know why they would do that, given their house is up for sale), would it be the case that their solicitor would write to everyone on the lane to inform them, or would that not be necessary? I nearly did prang my car when I got home from work today, as they've put another rock on the corner of their unofficial extension, which makes that a grand total of 4 rocks across a driveway which is roughly about 6 feet wide - if that!

Because it's an unadopted road it's difficult to find free advice, because it's not the council's problem.

I'm still convinced they'd be liable if someone did damage their car given the land isn't theirs. Given that their house is up for sale they must surely know that if anyone wants to buy it, it will show the true boundaries on the searches, so to me, they've just wasted money.

Flummoxed!

This PDF from the House of Commons Library may be of interest:

• Haha 1

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on this please?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group